Electric shaving

Phragzy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I personally hate wet shaving but i've never tried an electric shaver. I quite fancy giving the new phillips moisturing shaving system a go but at £150 it could be a costly mistake. I was wondering if anyone has got this and what there experience is compared to wet shaving. Or if you use another electric shaver please let me know your views.

Thanks

Grrr!

Suck it up man!

Stick with the blade!

I too had a costly mistake with an electric razor:thumbsdow

my 2p:smashin:
Change the blade once a week
find a gel/oil or both that you like
Use a decent moisturiser (or two!) a really light one for the summer and a heavier one for the winter. (my faves are Clinique Post Shave Healer and American Crew Aftershave Moisturiser)
Shave in a downwards direction once, then shave in an upwards direction on your throat ONCE, if your skin'll let you get away with it, otherwise just shave downwards twice.
Shave the bit around your mouth last, so the gel has a chance to soften the beard!

and remember!
you could be spending that £150 in some nice AV gear!:rotfl:

Grrr!

Suck it up man!

Stick with the blade!

I too had a costly mistake with an electric razor:thumbsdow

my 2p:smashin:
Change the blade once a week
find a gel/oil or both that you like
Use a decent moisturiser (or two!) a really light one for the summer and a heavier one for the winter. (my faves are Clinique Post Shave Healer and American Crew Aftershave Moisturiser)
Shave in a downwards direction once, then shave in an upwards direction on your throat ONCE, if your skin'll let you get away with it, otherwise just shave downwards twice.
Shave the bit around your mouth last, so the gel has a chance to soften the beard!

and remember!
you could be spending that £150 in some nice AV gear!:rotfl:

Cheers mate, if only my Dad was more "informative" like you when teaching me to shave!!!. Think i will give the shaver a miss and invest in some good oils, any recommendation?.

I learnt to shave on my own. Personally, I went from electric shavers to wet shavers (using the gillette fusion at the moment). I prefer the wet shave, especially in summer as I get ingrowns when using electric shavers.

Wet your face thoroughly - lather - shave down - wash off - lather - shave up. :) - wash - apply some balm or men's moisturiser to soothe.

I've used an electric for about 3 years now. It's much better if you're prone to spots, you don't end up hacking your face apart. Wet shaving gives you a better finish though, as long as blood isn't drawn.

I paid £50 for a Philips shaver last year. Can't recall the model. Dry skin and irritation and I am back to blades.

I am a slave to Gillette :rolleyes:

Oh that's another good thing about electrics, you don't have to fork out for stupidly priced blades.

i have a electric razer that comes with the little nivea moisteroisers?, and ended up using a pack of creme per shave! i shave in the morning, every day, and by 4 o clock i look like bin laden!!!!! tried mach 3 on my face but end up looking ive had a fight with freddy krueger! but there fine for my head!

2p from someone who would have sensitive skin.

I used electric years ago, then had a couple of years of wet about a decade ago. But I used to get a lot of nicks and was fed up with little blood splats on my neck.

Went back to electric. Was bought a very expensive Philips with gel for Xmas but I didn't like it. I found the gel was very sticky on the skin and ended up just using the shaver 'dry'.

Now I use one of the curved head shavers (not the 3 heads one). I find these good and kind enough to the skin. Of course you will never get a really close shave, but that doesn't matter to me.

Only problem I have with shaving is that I have started to get in-grown hairs on my neck. These can be a pain, and to get them out leaves the skin marked and red at times. Not sure what causes these, but I wish I could find a solution.

I normally use the regular Gillette Sensor Excel twin-blade razor, and the cheap, but very good, "Maverick" shaving foam from Lidl, and find that it gives me an excellent shave. The multi-bladed razors, including the Sensor Excel three-blades, seem to give me terrible razor-burn.
However, whilst travelling, I like to use an electric razor for convenience, and as my old Braun Universal's battery will no longer take a decent charge, I am looking for a new one.
Can anybody recommend a good re-chargeable electric razor, that can also charge up from my vehicule [12v] whilst travelling, as well as from mains, for under fifty Pounds.
Suggestions much appreciated. :lease:

I've had 3 or 4 electric shavers, just can't get a close enough shave and takes ages. I'm now settled on a Mach 3 turbo razor (the vibrating one).
The best oil by far i've found is King Of Shaves. Tiny bottle but you don't need much.

Now for the really weird reply,

Well I have very sensitive skin but also have very course thick hair. So I try to only shave when I need to, about one every three days if not in meeting or so on. I start with an electric Phillips thing £200 when new a couple of years ago. Give myself a quick once over not to bothered about leaving a few behind because I then wet shave with a March 3 turbo. As I am only getting the little bits left behind I find that the shave does not irate the skin and I'm still left with a face as smooth as.

Well thats me anyway.

Andy

Honestly guys...HOw the hell do you manage to cut yourselves with the razors? They are desgined in such a way that you have to be intent on trying to kill yourself in order to get cut. Not to mention the wilksin sword ones have a liite wire protectors that makes it imposiible to cut yourself. Maybe you should consider gettting those. Anyway, back on topic. I wet shave with a Gillette mach 3. Never trusted a electric. My brother had one and he complained that it gave him loads of ingrown hairs.

I've tried quite a few electric razors over the years, mostly in the £100-150 range, for the same reason...I hated wet shaving. Nothing quite did it. Frequently got electric razor burn.

I've tried king of shaves and a few other the other "best shave" oils..also tried gels and foams.

The best by far (for me) is the shaving cream by Body shop. It's a little expensive at £6, but can be had in the sales (I stock up when I see it on special), with a Gillette Sensor Excel it gives an increadibly smooth shave.

Used to cut myself all the time years ago with a single blade...but not anymore :)

I haven't cut myself shaving for years but I think that is down to much better blades these days rather than technique! These days I use a Mach3 Turbo with any of the Gillette gels but that's only because I ran out of shaving soap that was superb but came from a shop on Orkney so can't see me getting another tub any time soon! Only issue I have with using a wet razor is that they can cost a small fortune for the blades and also you really need to have a shower beforehand if you have sensitive skin like me. That's why I would like to try an electric shaver myself so that I can have a quick shave in a hurry but I really can't see them being suitable for my skin. :thumbsdow

I just use a cheapy electric one, works fine for me, I'm too lazy to wet shave, much quicker to use the electric one.

I am using Gillette Fusion (vibrating one) with a gel from either the Real Shaving company in West Sussex (can buy it in Boots I think) or Virgin Cosmetics aka Virgin VIE (of all places).

Only problem I have with shaving is that I have started to get in-grown hairs on my neck. These can be a pain, and to get them out leaves the skin marked and red at times. Not sure what causes these, but I wish I could find a solution.

For many people, myself included, in-grown hair is simply down to shaving the hair too short. It winds me up when they go on and on about 'the closest shave ever!' because thats exactly what i dont want!

The only solution i have found that works 100% is you buy a beard trimmer and use it without the guard on (blade 0). Now though i actually shave on a 2-3 setting for a short beard/long stubble look. A bit 80's, but im handsome enough to pull it off ;) :rotfl:

I tried designer stubble, but the wife looked like she'd been practicing a bee-beard.....and failed.

Cheers for all the replies lad, i've been pcless for the week so have just got back online.

Glad to see i'm not the only person who has problems. Oddly i had a shave this morning and it was perfect! my skin feels totally refreshed. I do however have to have a shower after i have shaved (should this be the other way around?). I am just waiting to use up the last of my gillette gel and then will be on the hunt for something different.

What are peoples views on the best razor?.

Use a Philips Coolskin. I must be odd because I've gone through all types of razers and shavers over 30 odd years and never felt good with any of them, had a beard for a few and then got fed up with it. Bought this razer about a year ago but as said above the gel is a waste, sticky and messy, i now use the razor dry then stick a hot flannel on my face, by 5 i do look like i need another but only bother if i'm going out. I just hate shaving full stop, allways have.

I think razors/shavers were invented by women, during the Burn The Bra period!!!

I wet shave rarely, just sometimes to check if any spots have grown. I bought a hair trimmer and keep my hair at grade 0...well I'm thinning anyway so I make up for it by having stubble which I also trim at grade 0 with same device :thumbsup:

What I don't get is why I get looks when I buy all manner of shaving creams and gels to test

What I don't get is why I get looks when I buy all manner of shaving creams and gels to test

lol, you're not looking in the womens section are you :D Actually when you say test, do you mean literally...that would get you some looks :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom