1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Screens

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Oxfordguy, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Oxfordguy

Oxfordguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this message is probably for the screens forum, but there doesn't seem to be much activity there.

I have a question. I am currently using a Draper Luma manual 92" screen suspended from the ceiling via L brackets and chains. In case your wondering why the chains, the cinema is akin to a loft conversion, therefore the ceiling is narrower than the screen.

With the above in mind, I'd like to upgrade to a remote control operated electric screen. My budget is fairly modest so the likes of Stewart screens are probably out of the question.

Can anyone recommend some screens for me to check out that can be operated via IR, Have adjustable drop, can be suspended by the same chains and s-hooks as my Luma, and that are under £1000. The more under the £1k mark the better.

Oh, in case anyone is interested, my Luma has very few wrinkles. As I currently use it as a roller blind for my window, it spends a lot of it's life unrolled. Maybe this has helped keep it fairly wrinkle free. The replacement will not be used as a blind BTW.

Thanks in advance for the replies. Fingers Crossed.

2. Oxfordguy

Oxfordguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got any advice? Surely some of you must have electric screens you can comment on???????

3. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got an Owl remote controlled using X10. I bought the screen second hand and have no big porblems with it.

The lows are the fact that the screen stretches a bit wider athe the bottom, meaning it's not square, probably due to age. The price I paid makes this very forgivable. Also it's really a 4:3 screen
    and so no black masking at the top unless you line up the picture with the casing.

The highs are really flat surface with great picture and 100% reliability so far. Looks good when retracted too.

Your budget could afford a new 16:9 one but make sure it's square. It costs about £80 to remote it with x10.

4. FazerThou

FazerThou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Bought my 6ft wide grandview from intoav for around £450. I'm sure they do ir controllers for them.
    There are triangular hooks on either end so you should be able to hang it as well. You'll have to look at their website for prices etc, they are forum sponsors.
    I was very pleased with the service and advice i recieved from them.

5. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I bought my electric 7ft 16:9 grandview, with IR option from http://www.direkt2u.co.uk/ for about £650, or there abouts. Walter Stewart is a thoroughly helpful chap, definately recommended.

cheers