Electric screen with large top border.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by T800, Mar 27, 2006.

1. T800

T800

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    I'm planning on installing an electric screen in my living room possibly in the ceiling. Due to the height of the ceiling I'm going to need a large border at the top so I can get the picture the right height.

I'm looking for:
    • Electric, remote control.
    • Large top border with height adjustable stop switches.
    • Decent Quality.
    • 16:9.
    • Probably matte white. (Panny AE900)
    • Hopefully not too expensive.

Most of the screens I've found don't have the large border, expensive or not rated very highly.

Thanks

2. Jonesey

Jonesey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I know DRH.co.uk do an electric one for £450, you can ask them to modify the black border on the top for a small price. Dont think they have adjustable stop positions though. I know the beamax screens have adjustable stop switches, but not sure about the top borders.

regards

3. Dickster

Dickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi T800,

How high is the ceiling/depth of border ? I've a Beamax electric screen which has both a long drop (top border) and ajustbale drop screw, which I assume is a limit switch on the motor.

Cheers and I hope this helps,
    Dickster

4. T800

T800

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    It's for my new house that I'm getting on Friday. All I know up to now is the room height is about average. I want the screen to be optimum height when sat on the sofa so eyeline is 1/3 up the screen.

The Beamax electric screens have 40-45cm top borders like the DRH Slimline's.

I'll have a good measure on Saturday I think.

Cheers

5. belgrade

belgrade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi t800,

I received my 92" Slimline electric screen from DRH this week. I ordered it with an extra 40cm of black drop, so there was a total of 85" black drop at the top.

This extra drop only cost me an extra £30, and the total cost of the screen was £360. From ordering, to receiving the screen, it only took 10 days.

I haven't put the screen up yet (will be doing that this weekend) so I cannot comment on the stop switch, but I was told that it would stop where required.

Hope this helps. :smashin:

6. T800

T800

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    85", that's one hell of a black drop ;)

Sound's good, I'm very interested to hear how you get on with it.:)

7. belgrade

belgrade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, it is a big drop :eek:

I too have high ceilings, and I didnt want to be craning my neck up, to watch a movie. I measured the maximum screen drop (including black drop, screen height, and casing height) that I could manage in my room to be 212cm (this is a few cm above the top of my speakers, and roughly at my eye level), and passed this information on to Dave at DRH.

They had no problems in making a screen to this height. In fact, I'm sure he said that I could have as much or as little drop as I wanted, to the nearest centimetre. :thumbsup:

Hopefully it will all go well this weekend, allthough I am not looking forward to the wiring! I'm starting to think that I should have got a manual screen, what with the thought of all those ugly cables, and switchboxes ruining the front room. :rolleyes:

8. Dickster

Dickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    belgrade,

are you thinking of automating the screen off any 12v trigger, be it PJ or amp/reciever ?

9. belgrade

belgrade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also bought the remote control from DRH. I think it was £99, but if I dont need to use it, it is going back. We are planning on passing the cabling from the screen up through the ceiling into the bedroom above. I would then use the remote to operate the screen ( if, and its a big if, the infrared remote works through the ceiling)

I dont think my projector (Z4) will work with a 12V trigger.