Electric oven from Ikea, can it be plugged into a normal wall socket ?

TylerDurden

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a new electric oven delivered today from Ikea, the (picture) instructions show a man fitting a plug to it and just plugging it into a wall socket, it a simple as that. The wife wants to get an electrican in to do it, I don't want to pay someone £50 just to plug the damm thing in

What do the (UK) instructions state?

Dave

its to do with building reg's.... if u ever sell the house, thats when problems will begin, cooker's need their own dedicated spur switch with a higher amp rating:

Electrics > Installing an electric cooker

its something that i would get an electrician in for too:)

nice one:smashin:

I think the ovens are usually just plugged in, its the hobs that cant. I have removed plenty of ovens that are just plugged in.

John..

I think the ovens are usually just plugged in, its the hobs that cant. I have removed plenty of ovens that are just plugged in.

John..

Indeed, however this does not mean that it is correct.

A cooker requires a radial circuit with a minimum of a 30amp breaker, however as stated you could just plug it in but, you may have problems if you decide to sell the house and have to have a buyer pack done as they will inspect the electrical installation.

Now if you believe that you are competent then you could install this circuit yourself, however it will still need testing and certifying by a qualified person to pass an electrical inspection - this may reduce some of the cost for you - however I would strongly advise you to ring round some sparky's and get it done properly.

R4z

Last edited:
Had a new electric oven delivered today from Ikea, the (picture) instructions show a man fitting a plug to it and just plugging it into a wall socket, it a simple as that. The wife wants to get an electrican in to do it, I don't want to pay someone £50 just to plug the damm thing in
Surely the instructions are more detailed than that?

There are very strict regulations about the supply of electrical goods in the UK. If they are designed to be plugged into an ordinary electrical outlet (3 square pin , usually called '13 amp'), then they must be pre-fitted with an appropriate plug and fuse.

What kind of oven is it? What model? If it's a typical built-in or free-standing cooker oven, with or without hob, then it is almost certainly rated at well over 13 amps, and you must wire it into a higher-rated circuit with its own on-off Cooker switch. In that case, it will have been supplied without a plug, and the cable will be very heavy duty; much more so than say the lead from an electric kettle. You will need an electrician to do that. What do you have already?

If you mean simply a work-top oven (microwave or similar), then you can plug it into an ordinary socket, but, as I say, it should have been supplied with a pre-fitted plug.

What do the instructions say about power rating (watts or amps)?

Edit:
Acknowledgements to r4zb3rry. Our postings crossed.

Last edited:
Good points, if it doesn't have a plug fitted then you probably need to get it professionally fitted. If it does have a plug, then just plug it in :)

Dave

If you look on somewhere like Comets website, some of the ovens can be fitted to a standard plug socket some cant. As others have said see if it comes with a plug fitted..

John..

We very recently had a single electric oven without a hob , (we have a gas one) , the instructions stated just use a 13 amp plug. The previous oven only had a 13 amp wall plug too. The kitchen fitter I spoke to also stated that most single ovens without hobs usually only have a normal wall plug. But , as has been said check the instructions , although I would bet if that picture is in them than that is what they recommend . Ikea definately like to make it simple.

I'd imagine there's a picture of an oven with rounded corners and a blobby round looking man plugging it in to the wall ;)

Thats pretty much what the instructions are, its an electric oven only, the hob is separate. Its doesn't come fitted with a plug.

This is what its says on the Ikea website :-

Energy class: A.
Energy consumption with a standard load, top and bottom heating: 0.79 kWh.
Energy consumption with a standard load, pastry function: 0.90 kWh.
Voltage: 240V.
Wired-in installation. Installation to be made by a qualified electrician.

Guess thats final then

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom