• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Electric Key

skhan786

Hi i am using the pay as you go meter but mine automatically switches to emergency when money finishes.
How do I stop my meter from going to emergency automatically.

mjn

Distinguished Member
As others have said, don't let it get to 50p. Plus, you pay a charge every time it goes to zero.

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
As others have said, don't let it get to 50p. Plus, you pay a charge every time it goes to zero.

This may be specific to a provider, I know our PPM customers dont pay a charge when it goes to zero. It simply goes in to the emergency fund, which comes out of their next top-up as it is emergency fund, not free electric...lol.

The only charges normally levied by a PPM are standing charges on electric meters (gas usually charges higher rate for first so many kwh) or debt recovery per week/top-up.

Sparky83

Hi i am using the pay as you go meter but mine automatically switches to emergency when money finishes.
How do I stop my meter from going to emergency automatically.

That doesnt sound too good, as im guessing you get no warning that your about to be without electricity. We are on a gas pre payment card and when the money goes we have to go and put the card back in to get the £5 emergency money so at least we know we need to get some more, where as your by the sounds of it just goes straight onto the emergency and runs out without you even knowing it was using it?!

I personally would be speaking to the energy suppler and saying your not happy with this situation and if they cant help you leave them and go to someone else that doesnt have meters that work in that way, British Gas supply our electricity and there meter works as i discribed above!

skhan786

What happen is mine electricity runs out and then it goes into emergency automatically then next time I put money in it takes away the emergency funds

Its really annoying and I was wondering if I could stop it going to emergency automatically or do I need to change my supplier in order to do this

D

Deleted member 92943

Does being on an Electric Key really save money. Im told it does because your paying for what you use but your actual rate for electric is more than if you were on a Direct Debit tariff?

skhan786

Its more of a headache but it does help you save money when your paying monthly you don't really care as much until your bill comes but with this you know each and every day how much your using

DVD-Man

Distinguished Member
Dependant on provider, you can cycle through the charges for the meter and see exactly how much it is costing you.

When I had a PAYG Elec Meter I averaged out the usage and just added that amount same time every week.

OP, does your usage vary so wildly that this can't happen?

Sparky83

Does being on an Electric Key really save money. Im told it does because your paying for what you use but your actual rate for electric is more than if you were on a Direct Debit tariff?

Personally i think being on a key does help, indirectly.

We are on a key for gas, and by knowing how much is on there we can use it sparingly as it would run out. But if we were on a metered bill the mrs would have the heating on 24/7 especailly as our place is freezing and it would cost a bomb.

So by seeing how much your spending i think it helps to make you think about the amount of time the heating is on, or the hot water you use.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom