Quantcast

Electric guitar for a beginner

piros

Novice Member
Hi guys, bit of a whim really but I feel like I would like to try and learn to play the guitar. I have never played a musical instrument, or done anything like this at all so just wondered what you guys would suggest I buy? I am looking at spending as little as possible so I can get a feel with things to see if I'll enjoy it or not.

Don't mind buying from ebay/classifieds/shops etc :)

JimiAces

i would suggest a yamaha pacifica - really good value for money.

or if you dont like the style - something like a cheap ibanez (rg170dx?) - that's what i learned to play on:)

piros

Novice Member
Thanks mate, is it this? Seems a bit pricey - I know it comes with everything thought but having read a few threads it seems the price has gone up from around the £150 mark.

What sort of price would you pay for just the guitar second hand, I don't want to overpay if using ebay etc

What about this?

MKPatrick

Novice Member
Pacifica's are nice but if you want a fantastic value electric guitar with a sweet tone and a lovely action to learn on try an Ibanez GAX30.

Ibanez GAX-30 (GAK)

You could spend the remaining budget (assuming it's the £200 or so of the Pacifica pack) on an amp of your choice, perhaps a little Line 6 Spider III modelling amp or similar.

Paddy

JimiAces

ebay would be a good place to look, maybe you could find someone selling a cheap setup.

or you could buy the pacifica new for about £160 on its own and to get you started you could buy a cheap 10-15w amp - cash convertors usually have them stacked to the ceiling for about a tenner each?

or how about looking on the forums? - ive seen someone in the non-electrical section selling a pacifica and 15w marshall amp for £150 - not bad if its in good nick.

piros

Novice Member
Thanks guys, looking at the Pacifica 112 on ebay at the moment as I have a friend who says they will lend me a cheap amp they don't use for the time being. If I don't pick it up for around £80 (my budget for just the guitar, let me know if I'm too over/under for a 112?)

Like the look of the Ibanez GAX-30 as well though, pretty cheap price for just the guitar it seems, especially brand new. May be tempted if I don't pick a Yamaha Pacifica 112 anytime soon :thumbsup:

JimiAces

i think you should manage to pick one up for £80 fairly easily - there is a few on ebay for around that price,make sure you ask someone with a bit of guitar knowledge before bidding just in case theres something you haven't spotted, check your local paper from time to time as well, something always comes up.

what about this? - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yamaha-Pacifica-Guitar_W0QQitemZ190320708821QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item2c4fff8cd5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1688|293%3A1|294%3A50

looks the business, missing trem but not important unless you wanna dive bomb like steve vai:devil:

piros

Novice Member
Sound good, don't know what a tremelo is but I will have a google :D

Edit: Ok I know what it is now :p

Last edited:

JimiAces

looks good - i've just had a look at the completed listings on ebay - prices seem to vary from £60 - £80 with a couple going for £100 and one even went at £40:eek:

so if you are going to buy from ebay it looks like you will easily get one within budget.

what methods are you planning on to learn to play?

piros

Novice Member
I have no idea to be honest, that was pretty much going to be my next question :D What would you suggest seeing as I have never played an instrument in my life, but I am a quick learner :D :devil:

Rob

There is some good advice & free lessons here,

YouTube - JustinSandercoe's Channel

Re your first guitar. Its always good to try one out first if at all possible. I bought my first one about 20 years ago and it was awfull to play and consequenty I never got into it. It wasn't untill later I got something better and as a result progressed and really enjoyed it.

If you can't try before buying at least try and have it set up properly. Most guitars are not setup at all from the factory. This will really help and could be the difference between sticking at it and struggeling.

piros

Novice Member
Well I got myself an electric guitar a few days ago as a mate leant me his old one :thumbsup: Been using your recommendation Rob and using Justin's videos and so far I know A/D/E chord and I am practising switching between them, not that amazing to a lot of you I guess but I'm having fun! :D

One problem I have now though is I tried to tune the guitar using mp3 files on his website but I think I have gone horribly wrong as I have no ear for musical notes :rolleyes: I was thinking of picking up a digital tuner as I guess that would be the best bet for me but was looking for a recommendation from you guys before I purchased, cheap and cheerful will do :smashin: I have Nottingham drum & guitar centre near me so was thinking of popping in there but if I can get online a lot cheaper then I don't mind waiting :)

JimiAces

congrats on getting a guitar:thumbsup: - you'll have blistered fingers in no time:smashin:

beware - its highly addictive. hehe

as for tuning, i know a lot of people who can tune by ear but i think it just takes time. i'm at the stage where i can tell if a string is out of tune but i need the electric tuner to fix it - i tune up my guitar before every session and it all seems fine.

as for buying an electric tuner - you can pick up a cheap one from a music shop for about £15 - they are good but not perfect - although i wouldnt imagine you' d need anything more.

if you really need something more accurate, i can recommend the planet waves chromatic tuner pedal - really quick, a god send to me.

there is one on ebay just now that you should keep an eye on here - it has a slight fault with the pedal catch - but this isnt a prob imo, all the more reason to grab a bargain. (i bought mine on ebay as new for £28, which was a bargain:smashin:)

Rob

Nice one. Glad you're off to a flying start. As Jimi said you can get a basic chromatic tuner for £15 ish. I use a Korg AT-2 which I've had for years, dead easy to use although its probably been updated since.

Yes Its good to start off with a few chords. I think the A, D, & E are the first ones most of us learn. Once you master them you can play a tune and that really gives you the urge to go further..

Rob.

piros

Novice Member
Cheers guys, I think I will nip into the music shop here just to check it out and if I can't pick one up for around £15 there I will most likely bid on the ebay item if it keeps to a low price :cool:

My fingers are getting a bit sore but it doesn't bother me as it really is so addictive and can't wait to get back from work to continue practising :D At the moment I am switching between chords; D-A, D-E and A-E one at a time and using a 60 second timer. Managed 25, 24 and 28 changes respectively on my 3rd attempt which I assume isn't too bad :rolleyes: The video said the target is 60 in a minute so 1 chord change a second! I feel I should be able to get closer to that figure pretty soon :thumbsup:

pmc

Oh God. He's only been playing a couple of days and is already talking nps. Not another shredder :rolleyes:

:devil:

Just kidding. With those 3 chords your all set to form a punk band :smashin:

lostinspace

Learn Barre chords-with only a few basic shapes you can then play virtually anything.
And if you're not playing along to anything or with anyone else, I'd just learn to tune the guitar to itself for now.

piros

Novice Member
Oh God. He's only been playing a couple of days and is already talking nps. Not another shredder :rolleyes:

:devil:

Just kidding. With those 3 chords your all set to form a punk band :smashin:
Don't really know what you mean there, but nevermind :D Not really interested in forming a band, just trying something new as a hobby :smashin: :cool:

Learn Barre chords-with only a few basic shapes you can then play virtually anything.
And if you're not playing along to anything or with anyone else, I'd just learn to tune the guitar to itself for now.
Thanks for the advice, will look into Barre chords :) Have just purchased a digital tuner from these forums for a tenner so look forward to that arriving and also just picked up a Yamaha Pacifica guitar tonight, so well pleased :thumbsup:

ricflairandy

Don't really know what you mean there, but nevermind :D Not really interested in forming a band, just trying something new as a hobby :smashin: :cool:

Thanks for the advice, will look into Barre chords :) Have just purchased a digital tuner from these forums for a tenner so look forward to that arriving and also just picked up a Yamaha Pacifica guitar tonight, so well pleased :thumbsup:
Justin has a great barre chords lesson. Barre chords are HARD! im struggling through myself but by all accounts once youve got it it makes playing the guitar a hell of a lot easier!.

Id also reccomend the metal method lessons and troy stetina stuff. Troy stetinas lessons are great!. Im currently 6 weeks into learning with justin, metal method, and local lessons but im also just this past few days got into stetina and im really impressed!.

Ive been using a ****** (really ****) flying v , but ive just baught a vintage vs6 off ebay which by all accounts is one of the best copys of a gibson sg you can get for the money. This guitar playing stuff is awsome :D.

piros

Novice Member
OK, the time has now come that I want to buy my own amp as at the moment, I am borrowing a very small one. Which model would be a good beginner amp to start with below £100?

Cheers guys, hope I'm not too annoying, just have no idea! Off to do a few searches now anyway :smashin:

JimiAces

if you are looking for something decent, have a look into the roland Cubes. Great little amps.

Did you see the pedal tuner on ebay - finished at £10.50:eek:

piros

Novice Member
if you are looking for something decent, have a look into the roland Cubes. Great little amps.

Did you see the pedal tuner on ebay - finished at £10.50:eek:
Someone got a bargain then! If I didn't buy mine from here I'd have gone for it :D

For the amp you mean something like this? I assume 15W would be ample for my needs?

Trending threads

Latest News

Panasonic launches SC-HTB600 and SC-HTB400 soundbars
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic launches HX940, HX900 and HX800 4K LCD TVs for 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Elipson launches 3230 loudspeaker at Bristol Hi-Fi Show
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 17th February 2020