1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Fires

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Geordie Jester, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Lots of people have talked about this, but just wondering about what people think now with hindsight.

We are considering hanging the plasma, but it would be above an electric fire and surround. What are the guidlines for this ? I guess Panasonic are not exactly going to recommend it, but Im wondering if it can be that bad.

It would be one of those 1/2 KW jobbies. would the hot air rising have much effect overall to the lifetime of the screen ?

Currently we dont have it hanging, but she who must be obeyed is considering a fireplace. If we get one, the only sensible place for both fire and screen is the centre of the main wall.

Any advice/pitfalls would be great

2. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I'm about to install a new fire and a plasma above it - we've gone for an electric one which will hang off the wall with no surround - the main reason being that the plasma would just end up being too high off the ground.

In terms of heat, this is at max a 2kw heater and most of the heat goes down and foward rather than up to the plasma. One option I'm thinking of is to put a shelf above the fire with my centre speaker on, which will act as a deflector for and heat trying to go up.

I'll let you know how I get on.

3. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I know what you mean about the height issue. im a bit concerned and will be trying to get the plasma as low as possible. I think a surround or shelf should certainly reduce the majority of the heat.

plus....I suppose it wont be used too much really.. we have central heating, and is mainly just for focus and extra warmth in the winter.

keep us posted !