Electric Cars in TV and Movies

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by nheather, Sep 25, 2018.

1. nheather

nheather
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,123
      A little tongue in cheek.

I’ve been watching the Black Mirror TV series on Netflix. It is a series scifi/horror/thriller with a strong technology slant stories set in the not too distant future.

All the cars are understandably electric.

But there have been a few episodes were a character (usually female) is running from a threat, she gets in her electric car in a panic, presses the start button - and yep you’ve guessed, the starter motor churns over, the ignition keeps firing but the engine won’t catch. Eventually repeated turning it over the engine catches just in the nick of time and off she drives.

Got me thinking. It is a tired and well-used trope in TV and movies (even though it doesn’t even happen in real life with modern petrol/diesel cars) but what are they going to use when we are all driving electric cars.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +42,409
      She drives 50 feet, the car battery runs out and the zombies eat her...

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    3. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +514
      Plenty of EVs in Ready Player One.

Will notice the abundance of product placed Renault Twizys, and the Police cars at the end are Nissan Leafs, (Although with the Nissan Badges taped over), Dont want to push Nissan when Renault paid so much to place its vehicles in the film

If you haven't seen it worth a watch just to snigger at the Ohio Stacks.. Anyone from the Midlands will instantly recognise its actually Birmingham and around Spag Junction area.

Doesnt matter with the Twizy as they are single seat, but it seems in the furure the Americans in Brum Ohio! have moved over to Right Hand Drive for their Leaf Police cars.!

Ready Player One - incredible car chase and scenes in Birmingham

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +311
      A Tesla Model S crashed in Avengers Infinity War.
      It’s very quick so easy to miss.

5. MarkyPancake

MarkyPancake
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,446
      I guess electric cars don't sound as good in a car chase.

6. EntryLevel

EntryLevel

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +44
      With the antagonist close on their heels, the heroes spot an abandoned <electric car of choice>. As luck would have it, the doors open. The dashboard springs to life and a power meter fills to max with a pleasing tonally increasing hum. Both now inside, the driver firmly plants their foot on the pedal, but the car remains stationary. They look at each other in panic. The power bar begins to tick down. "It's shorted!" one says. The techy one (there is always a techy one) clambers into the back and pulls up the carpet to reveal an access panel, which opens to reveal a mess of cables. "I need something to bridge the connection" they shout. The other hero produces a gender appropriate conductive item (e.g. hair pin), which gets jammed into the mess of wires. "GO GO GO!"

As the protagonists drives off in the now battered and dust covered <electric car of choice>, narrowly escaping a collapsing <insert context appropriate infrastructure here> we cut to a close up of the cars internals that show the a cracked battery case and liquid slowly leaking out. For a few moments, the two heroes look at each other relieved, before the dashboard lights up red and the speed begins to fade...

7. Sonic67

Sonic67
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +18,949
      I've known numerous cars not start. Lights left on overnight, battery run down.

A minibus parked up and the doors open and the radio on all day. Minibus wouldn't start at the end of the day.

Land Rover not run after two of the fuel injectors failed.

My Car Hates Me - TV Tropes

If it's got tits or wheels sooner or later it will give you problems.

8. nheather

nheather
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,123
      True, but in the TV tropes tgey usually have perfectly good batteries, and were fine shortly before, just can’t get the engine to catch at that vital moment.

Now if we go back to the 80s when I had my first car, or before, then you did used to get these sort of problems, bad plugs, bad points, moisture in the electrics, worn/dirty distributer, sticking bendix.

And that was such a familiar experience and sound that it is retained and applied to modern day cars in film and TV even though it is not something that happens any more.

And the point of my post, is that I had now seen it being used on electric cars.

Cheers,

Nigel

9. Sonic67

Sonic67
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +18,949
      Moisture in the electrics is perfectly possible on an electric car.
      Electric cars and sound. It's felt they should make a noise as if they are too quiet people might be run over.

Electric cars 'must make more noise'

US demands electric cars make noise

As the sound could be anything some suggest it should be that of a car.

In the same way a defibrillator has a whine as people expect it, not because it needs it and a digital camera/smartphone camera has a click, whir noise even if it doesn't need it. Which also acts against "upskirting."

Magical Defibrillator / Useful Notes - TV Tropes

On TV, the defibrillator will recharge with a loud, low, whining noise. This kind of happens in real life, but not the way you'd expect. Modern capacitors charge noiselessly, but medical personnel who used the new equipment expected to hear the whine, and when they didn't, they thought the devices were malfunctioning. Manufacturers have added an audio recording of the whine to let users know it's working.

This is part of the coconut effect. You expect horses to always make a clip-clop sound. You expect a sword to make a sheeenn noise when unsheathed.

The Coconut Effect - TV Tropes

10. Barcoing Mad

Barcoing Mad

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +223
      A quick read up on the new Tesla Roadster with cold gas thrusters may stir the loins a bit. I suggest that sub 2s 0-60 and the ability to corner with several g, plus short hops, could make F&F12 quite exciting.

In the meantime, YouTube videos of the current Tesla S destroying dinosaur juice vehicles are quite amusing. The latter tend to go brum brum quite a lot.

I used to like brum brum noises, until I discovered my car had a button to make it go brum brum louder. This left me feeling rather childish and pathetic. Nowadays, the sound of a Merlin engine still makes me misty-eyed and all Pub-Landlord, but that's about it.

11. SunnyIntervals

SunnyIntervals

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +251
      There is a superb comedy car chase waiting to be written featuring autonomous electric cars! The lead car continually telling Google to change direction, or navigate somewhere else, the chase car doing it's best to update it's navigation to follow it! All at a reasonable speed, observing all road safety laws :D