Electric car Charging points - Is there a solution to this

D

Deleted member 161415

I live on an elevated plot which is enclosed with a dry stone wall ranging from 6’ to 18’.

The plot is large and, subject to creating a wide access point there is significant space for the parking of many motor vehicles.

Unfortunately the Highways Agency / Council will not grant planning permission for an access due to the need to have 25m sight lines. Bit frustrating because the Architect advised that the space must be bug enough for two cars, but, if we only used the space for one car then the sight lines would be fine.

So, my question is, does anybody have an electric car that they park and charge up on the Queens Highway,

1) Was planing permission needed to instal a CP?
2) Was it expensive to dig up the main road to lay cable back to your consumer unit?
3) Do you come home and find the space where your Charing points is already taken by another vehicle

or, are they any other solutions that enables someone to own an EV when they can’t park off the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an interesting point. With the move to make all cars electric in the near future then there really needs to be a massive overhaul in infrastructure to be able to accommodate that overall. I live on an elevated plot also with a path and a wall between the front of the house and the road outside where everyone on the street parks. So no way for me to be able to charge currently.

I have a friend who works in the car industry and he's said that this is currently the number one problem with no really easy solution. Putting charging points in street lamps is one solution being looked at which I thought was smart. Clearly the tech needs to get better as well. Ultra fast charging will be a must as well.

I don't have an answer to your question but I think it's an interesting discussion point in general

Unless you purchase the road and install bollards then no. My Neighbour has done this. He also has street lights with power socket which look amazingly neat.

yes he has more money than sense. The bollards has made him the hate of ever delivery driver and bin man in Glasgow as it forces them to reverse along the access road 400-500m around a bend and parked cars

P.s. hydrogen maybe better in the long run

or, are they any other solutions that enables someone to own an EV when they can’t park off the road.

Sadly at present there isn't an answer and without home charging you loss two major benefits of EVs, cheap electricity (or free if you have solar PV), and the convince of been able to refuel at home versus any other method of refueling a car.

Am not sure I would love our EV half as much if we didn't have home charging!!

The government is now been lobbied about this, as there is a very real risk that EVs will create a 2 tier car ownership experience for those with off road parking (therefore charging) and those without so are left at the mercy of having to use public charging.

Normally I would say the government would pay zero attention to this issue, but given lots of London residents will be effected there is a good chance legislation will come into force on this issue. Either making it easier to install chargers more remotely or more like local councils having to install and maintain local charging bays.

Ultra fast charging will be a must as well.

Ultra fast charging requires very expensive tech, a massive electricity supply, and is bad for batteries.

Anyone with home charging really doesn't need it, even on road trips at 100KW+ charging the car is ready to go before we are.

The people who will benefit most will be local drivers with no home charging, but it will means higher fuel costs for them, and wasting time, it doesn't matter how fast you get the charging to become its still less convenient than charging at home whilst you sleep.

Its an inequality that needs addressing somehow, I suspect we'll soon see an additional tax on home electricity bills to pay for additional public charging in residential areas.

Sadly at present there isn't an answer and without home charging you loss two major benefits of EVs, cheap electricity (or free if you have solar PV), and the convince of been able to refuel at home versus any other method of refueling a car.
There are several solutions including charge at work, public charging and road side charging all of which are being rolled out at the moment.

There are several solutions including charge at work, public charging and road side charging all of which are being rolled out at the moment.

The roadside parking where we are won’t work as there are no pavements so nowhere to actually put the chargers I would guess. I work from home 100% and only use the car at weekends so it just might be possible to get enough charge from public charging at weekend. Difficulty will be finding a charge during those weekends when we only visit friends / family.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom