• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Electonics Gurus, please check me on this one

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Right, I am building a sub, with twin 4 ohm winding on the driver. I am building a stereo amp to power this and have a cunning plan...

I am also building a bass processor, as I cannot find anything within a decent budget that has both high and low pass filters - required, as I also have tactile transducers that fill in below 20Hz. This has been designed with a differential output and this has given me an idea.

If I configure one of the amps to work inverted to the other, the load on the power supply should be more evenly split across the 2 rails, as when one amp goes negative, the other goes positive. If nothing else, this should reduce power supply ripple, as the ground will not be so heavily stressed and the supplies will sag evenly. I will of course re-invert the signal on the output so that a correctly phased signal reaches the speaker.

Am I missing something, or will this have the desired effect of reducing ripple and power supply regulation?

Many thanks, an aged design engineer, 15 years lapsed!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom