Election for little living room (2m) - TX-P42VT30 or 46" LED

Maeggor

Standard Member
Hi people!

After decorating my flat my intention is go there for living this January (you know, new year new live xD) and now I have to buy the TV. I tell you my needs:

- Distance from my EYES sitting to the PANEL of televison = 2,00 m (6,6 feet) exactly
- It will be on the wall with Vogels EFW 8305
- Budget = around 1200 € (but it can increase a little)
- Use = 40% TV shows (720p) 30% movies (1080p) 25% videogames PS3 (1080p-720p) and 5% TV
- Conecting 24/7 to a barebone and a Pioneer VSX-921K to managent all the media

My principal option is the Panasonic Panasonic TX-P42VT30 (1050-1100 €uros) but reading in some forums and viewing it in a shop I think it will be little and the next model TX-P50VT30 would be too much. Other option would be a 46" LED (I think this size would be the perfect), but in LED I havent red a lot so maybe an option is the Samsung UE46D8000, but the price is maybe a little expensive. Respect features of the TV I prefer quality of image because I dont care about 3D and media connectivity.

As you can see the differences between the sizes I have created an animated GIF, but it seems it doesnt play well on web. Maybe better if you download it LINK GIF

Thanks!

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Good idea with the render.:smashin: At your distance 42 will be fine, if you want 46" Id go GT30 over LCD. I have the 46" GT30(I sit about 2.4-2.6m from my set), IMO no LCD can beat it, its better than the Samsung in most areas and not all that different to the VT30.

newbie1980

off-topic but that looks fantastic, what software did you use for that?

And what floorstanders have you got in that picture?

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Exactly It has a pretty fast learning curve.
Its a fantastic package to get fast 3D, I use max myself, but Im a pro, many programmers where I worked used it though to test ideas both at work and home, vast library online of pre modelled meshes for it.

Tatkovladko

Novice Member
Let me think - do I want to get the TV that got most awards for best TV of 2011 or some LED which has guaranteed backlighting problems, only because it will be 4 inches larger in diagonal?
No, I don't - I get the VT30 and move my chair 18 cm forward. Same visible size, superb picture quality. That's what I'd do.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Or get the 46GT30 :)

Maeggor

Standard Member
xD I really dont know I have a mess in my mind

In a few months I could put back 30 cm the sofa, to have more sight so probably I would get now the 50" model

I put you the prices of the models I have asked today in the shop

TX-P46GT30 - 980 €
TX-P42VT30 - 1200 €
TX-P50VT30 - 1450 €
UE46D8000 - 1500 €

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
xD I really dont know I have a mess in my mind

In a few months I could put back 30 cm the sofa, to have more sight so probably I would get now the 50" model

I put you the prices of the models I have asked today in the shop

TX-P46GT30 - 980 €
TX-P42VT30 - 1200 €
TX-P50VT30 - 1450 €
UE46D8000 - 1500 €
46"GT30 at those prices, better than the D8000, bigger, cheaper and not a lot different than the 42"VT and way cheaper than the 50" that will dominate your room.

mikej

Another vote for the 46GT30 here !

I wouldn't normally recommend a 46" TV at your viewing distance if you were watching a lot of SD content, but as most of your viewing appears to be 720/1080p HD, then I would say that size would be great and should give you a decent cinematic/gaming experience.

I was originally looking at the 42VT30 too and it IS a great TV, but I decided to go for the 46GT30 instead after I got chance to demo them both because, with the 46GT30, I got a larger TV for less money and couldn't tell the difference in picture quality between the two.

Last edited:

Maeggor

Standard Member
Another vote for the 46GT30 here !
I was originally looking at the 42VT30 too and it IS a great TV, but I decided to go for the 46GT30 instead after I got chance to demo them both because, with the 46GT30, I got a larger TV for less money and couldn't tell the difference in picture quality between the two.
Wow with that comment you have convinced me. I'll probably get the P46GT30, the only that I dont like much of it is the design comparing the VT model.

Only a pair of questions. The specifications says:

- Dimensions (W x H x D) (w/o stand) 1,091 x 670 x 58 mm (Panel depth: 37 mm)

58mm of the piece that is around the panel? and the 37 mm of the panel where is the picture? (sorry but my english is not perfect :facepalm:)

About ventilation. I have bought a Vogels 8035 to put it (before buying TV). It has 24 mm of space between wall and the TV it will be enough space for ventilation?

Thanks!

mikej

Only a pair of questions. The specifications says:

- Dimensions (W x H x D) (w/o stand) 1,091 x 670 x 58 mm (Panel depth: 37 mm)

58mm of the piece that is around the panel? and the 37 mm of the panel where is the picture? (sorry but my english is not perfect :facepalm:)
The TV is 37mm thick, but this increases to 58mm at the bottom, which is where the speakers are.

About ventilation. I have bought a Vogels 8035 to put it (before buying TV). It has 24 mm of space between wall and the TV it will be enough space for ventilation?
I think the bracket has to make the TV stand at least 21mm from the wall (58mm - 37mm), so 24mm should be OK. Just make sure that it doesn't protrude down as far as the thicker part of the TV at the bottom.

Panasonic actually recommend a minimum distance of 7cm from the rear of the TV to the wall though, so I'm not really sure how we're supposed to use these slimline brackets based on their recommendations !

Maeggor

Standard Member
The TV is 37mm thick, but this increases to 58mm at the bottom, which is where the speakers are.
The 58mm are in all the bottom because if i want to put the tv on the wall and logically my devices are in a furniture under it my intention was to pass their cables behind the TV to the back or to the lateral to make connections!

Is that possible?

By the way how many distance you have from your eyes to your panel? 2 m like me or maybe a little more. Because I am little afraid for buying a huge TV. xD

Thanks again for your helps guys!

mikej

The 58mm are in all the bottom because if i want to put the tv on the wall and logically my devices are in a furniture under it my intention was to pass their cables behind the TV to the back or to the lateral to make connections!

Is that possible?
The 58mm thick part of the TV goes all the way across the bottom, but there is a small recess where the tabletop stand fits. If you're wall-mounting your TV and not using this stand, then the gap might be big enough to pass some cables down behind.

You really need to have a look at the TV for yourself before you buy it !

By the way how many distance you have from your eyes to your panel? 2 m like me or maybe a little more. Because I am little afraid for buying a huge TV. xD
My viewing distance is around 2.5m for my 46GT30. Gaming, Blu-Ray movies and HD TV channels look great at this distance, but some of the SD Freeview channels can look poor/soft.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom