1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eldritch white pixels ... puzzle to experts

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by StooMonster, Apr 15, 2003.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Panasonic TH-50PHW5B plasma, iScan Ultra, JS-Tech RGB2CUY convertor, Sony Sky Digital digibox, Arcam FMJ DV27+
    (DV27+ connected directly to screen, Sky connects to JS-Tech to iScan to screen)

Weirdness started last Wednesday evening, although I may not have noticed it before...

When watching Channel Four, I get three little bars of flickering white pixels. If you image the 16:9 rectangle, two-third across from left to right, and from about third of screen from top to middle -- three white parallel horizontal bars.

Like this

####################
    # . . . . . . . . . . . .-- . . . #
    # . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . #
    ####################

They seem to appear when the top bar is surrounded by black, or dark area; and then the three are lit up brightly. If the top one is in dark area and the bottom in white, you can still see the bottom one because it's so bright.

At first I thought some pixels had blown, and perhaps they have; but:

1. Only happens on Sky Digital 104 Channel Four, I've watched many other channels and can't see it happening on any other one.
    2. Does not happen with DVD *more weirdness later
    3. Does not happen with screen saver (either black scrolling bar or inverse)

I'm thinking that as points 2 and 3 are true, it may not be the screen.

That makes me think it's the iScan or the JS-Tech or Sky digibox: 1. Could be memory chip problem in iScan, I've seen a similar effect when a GeForce4 had faulty RAM.
    2. Don't think it could be JS-Tech
    3. Something wrong with Sky digibox's MPEG decoder, or Channel Four's stream?

Trouble is, if it were any of there three the effects would surely happen all the time; and not just on Channel Four. Oh, and it's intermittant as well, so I can't see it all the time.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thoughts from the great and mighty gladly received.

* Second strange behavious, and perhaps related?

Saturday night, played DVD and was amazed to see that in some of the menus there were pixels of primary colours all over the screen. When I played movie, the black bar at the top was full of swirling red, green and blue pixels.

On close inspection, I could see that the pixels were the actual plasma physical pixels that were illuminated, not the DVD player causing this.

OMG thought I, and powered down everything. I left it off for ten seconds or more, powered up again, and everything back to normal.

Has my Panny been voodooed? Is my iScan Ultra bewitched? Is my DVD player bamboozled?

StooMonster

Edited to try and get diagram to work.

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have not noticed this on my plasma but have 3 times now on hollyoaks on my normal tv

excactly how u say on channel 4

3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Isn't it weird -- I recon that it's Channel Four themselves and nothing to do with my kit.

I was just watching television, and flicked over to C4 and there were the three flickering white bars; change to another channel, gone; back to C4, there again.

So I video taped the composite output from Sky digibox on C4, rewound the tape and there they are! I can even step-through and see that they don't all show at the same time either, but blink in sequence.

It's either C4 or my digibox has an artifact problem on one channel only. Hrm...

Has anyone else noticed this with Channel Four on Sky Digital?
    First time I saw it was during last episode of "40", but see it plenty of times since.

Don't think this and the second weird problem are related now.

StooMonster

4. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    42" Pana:
    I've seen it too on C4 Frasier and something else (maybe that again?) but not paniced by it as clearly a C4 error that causes the little broken lines to appear --
    --
    --
    which dart about a bit. It's almost like a textual program piece is trying to break through. So don't panic mate:) Us three live far apart so it's more than regional anyways...

5. lloydo

lloydo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got it on my Panny 37 aswell, saw it while the Mrs was watching Hollyoaks (I was watching for research purposes only obviously, but that Izzy...). I thought it was part of my new problem I've got, number 3 screen is coming next wednesday! at least this seems a CH4 problem!!

6. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Happens on the bedroom CRT that is connected to digibox through RF coax too.

Channel Four, it's down to you.

Interestingly, I don't think that it happens during ad breaks; although could be wrong, as I usually take them as a cue to channel surf for a couple of minutes :)

StooMonster

7. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I saw this too whilst watching Ali G. Thought nothing of it at the time and put it down to a bad signal.

8. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Over in the Digital Satellite forum, it was suggested I check out this board and this thread

Loads of people have seen it too, and it may be gettting worse. Time for Channel Four to fix it methinks.

StooMonster