Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Play & Help Thread (Part 2)

• Thread starter Deleted member 152499
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nozzer17

Novice Member
Lets start things off by saying I think im playing skyrim too much when yesterday having a cig I saw a shadow of a bird fly over me and instinctively thought 'cr*p a dragon'...

oasismark

Distinguished Member
Re. the companions dying thing, i read they can only die from your own hand.

In a battle they will get to low health then crouch down, but not die just stay at low health, the only way they can permanently die is if you kill them, on purpose or by accident.

geeza76

Novice Member
Re. the companions dying thing, i read they can only die from your own hand.

In a battle they will get to low health then crouch down, but not die just stay at low health, the only way they can permanently die is if you kill them, on purpose or by accident.
I'd imagine that if an enemy was taking a swing, casting a spell at you and accidentally caught them that could kill them too, but as you said when a follower gets to low health they yield and the enemies run to the next attacker

geeza76

Novice Member
regarding the fire breath shout, I've only ever found 1 word and I'm 80 hours in, shame because it seems to do more damage than a 3 word frost shout :confused: just doesn't have the range

p9ul

Distinguished Member
Not happy with the PS3 patch - the lag issue seems to be much better and the size of my gamesave is now 9.5mb as opposed to 11mb that it was before - but I ran into 3 problems last night.

First off was the Forsworn Conspiracy in Markarth - the guy I need to see to finish the quest is now lying dead on the floor.

Second - daedric artifact near dawnstar, followed a guy through a door but he's no where to be seen on the other side, the room is a dead end so I guess he's needed to open up some passageway. Really pee'd off as this is the 2nd daedric artifact balls up which means I'm not gonna be able to collect 15 out of the 16 items. This is also the exact same bug that caused Lydia to go AWOL.

Third - no sign of any companions at Sky Hall Temple.

oh I forgot no. 4. I killed a dragon, but it just lay there dead and didn't turn over it's soul - I still got the scales/bones etc but no soul...

Hope I've got an older save thats not too far back or I'm gonna cry...

Last edited:

MANGABOY

Novice Member
Second - daedric artifact near dawnstar, followed a guy through a door but he's no where to be seen on the other side, the room is a dead end so I guess he's needed to open up some passageway. Really pee'd off as this is the 2nd daedric artifact balls up which means I'm not gonna be able to collect 15 out of the 16 items. This is also the exact same bug that caused Lydia to go AWOL.
That exact same thing happened to me yesterday. But I just loaded a save I made directly before entering the door and he was there so no problem. I always make a manual save before entering a new area its like second nature. Don't get why people don't save often. There's even autosaves you can set more frequent

p9ul

Distinguished Member
I disabled most autosaves due to the lag issue. Bit I think I'm gonna have to start making multiple saves as this isn't the first time it's happened - start saving everytime a NPC walks through a door.

Got a horrible feeling my last save is 15 hours back...

joel88

Novice Member
Anyone had this - i've been to 2 seperate people who are Master trainers of Heavy Armor (according to internet) but everytime i speak to them, i dont get the option of training. I'm only on 60 heavy armor, so should be able to get something from them still.

One is Farkas of the companions, and one is an Orc in an Orc stronghold (which i had to earn access to)

:confused:

p9ul

Distinguished Member
I've not bothered with much training - always seems like a waste of money as you'll get there eventually.

Got my fingers burned after getting training from Vipir in thieves guild - got all 5 training levels then went to pickpocket it back and he didn't have any gold on him :mad:

Met one guy who training last night (cant remember what in) but he was a master and the training started at 1850gold for 1 level. :eek:

joel88

Novice Member
Yea i'm not too bothered about it, just wanted to get to 70 heavy armor as soon as i can so i can get the weightless armor perk. Should be good!

geeza76

Novice Member
Yea i'm not too bothered about it, just wanted to get to 70 heavy armor as soon as i can so i can get the weightless armor perk. Should be good!
I used Farkas to get from level 68 to 70 (couldn't be bothered to earn it) so it must be a glitch that he isn't able to train you

campy mccamper

First off was the Forsworn Conspiracy in Markarth - the guy I need to see to finish the quest is now lying dead on the floor.
If it's the guy that died after challenging you to a brawl he is not even part of the quest, if you go back to the shrine of talos and speak to eltrys hopefully the guards will frame you for the murders and send you to prison. If not you will have to reload and start at an earlier save point.

Bamford38

Banned
Also, I think this has been asked before but I'm going to ask again, do that dragons stop appearing after you finish them main quest?
I think I'm getting close(I'm supposed to go to Alduins wall for my current quest), but I don't want to finish the main quest and not be able to get more dragon souls to unlock more shouts.

Speaking of shouts, are there any more words to the fire breath shout?
It was one of the first shouts I got.
I'm nearly 100 hours in and I've yet to find any more words for it.
The dragons carry on appearing. In fact it was after i finished the game that i first got ambushed by 3 dragons at once!! That was pretty intense!!

All the shouts definitely have 3 words to them.

pixelpidgeon

Distinguished Member
I too have had just the first word for fire breath since very early on in the game. Here are the locations of the other two *spoiler*
Sunderstone Gorge (Falkreath Hold), Throat of the world (Whiterun Hold): Main Quest: The throat of the world

regarding the fire breath shout, I've only ever found 1 word and I'm 80 hours in, shame because it seems to do more damage than a 3 word frost shout :confused: just doesn't have the range

Bamford38

Banned
I used Farkas to get from level 68 to 70 (couldn't be bothered to earn it) so it must be a glitch that he isn't able to train you
Its not a glitch. The NPCs will only train you to certain levels, then you will need to level it up yourself a bit, then they will train you again. They stop training all together when you get to mid 80s in levels i think.

campy mccamper

I wasn't a 100% sure if Lydia was dead or just MIA but she turned up to my wedding last night...dead. Still at least I got to loot some stuff back.

Rip faendal:fried by a dragon

Rip Lydia :death unknown

Rip Vorstag :I accidentally set light to him

Rip Stenvar :I accidentally cut his head off.

I think I will leave it a while before recruiting anyone else, they cramp my sneaky style anyway by blundering in. I do miss waking up in my house to see Lydia staring in my face eating my bread, but not enough to go back 30 save hours.

p9ul

Distinguished Member
If it's the guy that died after challenging you to a brawl he is not even part of the quest, if you go back to the shrine of talos and speak to eltrys hopefully the guards will frame you for the murders and send you to prison. If not you will have to reload and start at an earlier save point.
No, it's Eltrys thats dead - with an location marker still hovering above his corpse. There's 2 soldiers there but they just asked if I wanted to join the legion...

campy mccamper

No, it's Eltrys thats dead - with an location marker still hovering above his corpse. There's 2 soldiers there but they just asked if I wanted to join the legion...
Only thing I have heard that might work is if you go outside and wait 24 hours. There should be 3 people there, one will step forward to arrest you as you walk in.

That is one buggy quest.

p9ul

Distinguished Member
One of the guards has actually walked off - there's only 1 remaining. Think I'm resigned to using an earlier save which I'm reluctant to do. Was before the theives guild quest that involves breaking into the dwemer museum in markarth. It ended up a bloodbath and I spent ages levelling up my lockpick skill by hacking all the expert level cabinets in there...

campy mccamper

I took this from another forum, someone really took the death of Lydia badly..
I think I handed in shorter essays at college than that:D

R.I.P. Lydia
"Look, a cave." she said, her torch sputtering in the torrential rain "I wonder what's inside it?"

"We don't have time Lydia." I turned to find her staring into the caves gaping maw "We need to keep moving, Riften is just over that ridge."

"We've had time before." she quipped "Think of the wonders we've found in caves, of the monstrosities we've destroyed, the countless relics we've recovered. Is it really not worth the effort?" she turned to face me and as I stared into her blue eyes I could not help but relent.

"Fine." I drew my sword, she hers, and we both entered the cave. The wind was whipping at my ears, the pouring rain had created tiny rivers that were now slithering their way further into the depths. I saw a light and motioned for Lydia to crouch down.

There was a small camp fire, and a dead bandit lying next to it. "Told you, nothing here but a dead thief." No sooner had I began basking in the glory of being right, did a bear roar and rear back on its hind legs. The concussion of the roar knocked me onto my back, my sword slid five or so feet away and I was left defenseless. Before I could reach for it Lydia sprung to my aid, slashing the beasts throat and shoving her blade deep in its chest. It heaved one final time, and then crumpled lifeless onto the floor.

"Saved your life again, my Thane."
It was Volksygge, the ancient tomb of an unknown evil. The nature of this memory makes me smile with it's seeming quaintness. We were still clad in steel, wielding iron swords, and completely unaware of what we were doing. I had just acquired Lydia from the Jarl of Whiterun, she had little respect for me, and even less patience.

"Watch out for the pressure plate." she mumbled, not even looking me in the eyes when I peeked back at her over my shoulder.

"I saw it."

"Yeah, sure."

It had been a fairly mundane excursion up until that point, a few draugr here and there, one or two well hidden traps, nothing we couldn't handle. But as we entered the final chamber, I could sense a great presence. Something was drawing breath, causing the stale musty air to mix and swirl. Lydia knocked an arrow, I drank a philter of health, and we moved forward, up a great old staircase.

The glowing blue eyes of a draugr peered forth from the darkness. I raised my blade to charge it, but the beast knocked my sword from my hands with its voice. I fell to my knees, hardly able to see let alone think, only coming to just as the creature was about to deal its final death blow.

The Draugr Lord raised its ancient greatsword, eyes gleaming with an unmentionable and irrational hatred of all living things, and moved to kill. Just as the blade was lowering upon my head, a second blade ripped through the draugrs chest, sending a torrent of sand across the room.

I laid there, dumbfounded, as Lydia sheathed her blade and moved to lift me up.

"Saved your life, little Thane."
"That you did." I responded, a smile upon my face, as Lydia lifted me up from the cave floor. "Well, we've killed the caves lone inhabitant, let's get moving."

"No, there's something else, I can feel the wind rushing somewhere." She began moving around the cave, her ebony boots clanging with each step "Here!" she shouted at me, motioning for me to come closer "There's another part to the cave."

So we moved inward, killing a few more bears, and eventually finding another corridor.

"A dwemer chest! I told you this was no ordinary cave." Lydia bolted over to it, her eyes gleaming with the possibility of loot.

"It's locked, can you pick it?"

"Probably." I crouched down and began working the pick into the lock. After a few attempts the lock sprung open. I began pulling the loot out of the chest, nothing more than a few potions some gold. I noticed a book at the bottom and grabbed it. When I pulled on it, something seemed to catch it.

"Watch out!" I heard the sound of darts flying forth, that sickening whooshing noise that often accompanies a foolish death. Lydia flung herself in front of the darts, blocking them with her shield, and pulled me away from the chest.

No sooner had the whooshing died down when the grating sound of stone upon stone filled the freezing air. Two doors on either side of the room opened and two figures stepped out.
"Falmer!" Lydia screamed, pulling her sword out of it's scabbard and charging, she took the one on the left, I took the right. We dispensed of them easily.

"Falmer, by Mara, you know what that means Madanoch." she used my name, which meant she was deathly serious. "Remember Chillwind Depths? All of those travelers and townspeople? We must clear these caves."

I hesitated, something was tugging at my resolve, I wanted to tell her to be quiet and leave these damp caves behind.

But I relented once more to those beautiful eyes.

"Very well."

She smiled "Thank you, my Thane."

I smiled back, but was stricken by a very real fear.
It was some months ago that I learned she was far from invincible. We were wiser then, wearing exquisite Dwarven Armor, wielding enchanted weapons, and carrying a surplus of healing tonics. We had been sent out to find the shrine of Peryite, and were maneuvering around the base of the mountains when we saw the smoke.

Lydia moved forward while I covered her with my bow, she waved at me to come closer and I walked over, greeted by the smell of burning flesh.

"Bandits." Lydia murmured "Gods damn the bastards."

They had stripped, robbed, bound and butchered several travelers. Killing everyone down to the horse.

"We need to find these monsters and bring them to justice."

"Lydia, they could be anywher-" before I could finish, an arrow slammed right into Lydias left thigh, sending her screaming unto the ground.

I turned on my heel to find the aggressors, three bandits two with bows one with a mace, standing atop a nearby hill.

I charged them without even thinking, I used my voice to send the first flying over the side of a chasm; he plunged to his death with a breathless whimper.

The second, knocking an arrow as I met him, was sliced nearly in half by my sword, his top hit the ground before his bottom. I used my shield to bash the third as he was reaching for a dagger, and sent my sword right into his chest before he could recover.

I descended the hill immediately, the gurgling moans of the third bandit chasing me as I did.

To my surprise I found Lydia had already removed the arrow, dressed the wound, and was now alternating between swigs of a healing potion and a bottle of Nordic mead.

I reached down to pull her to her feet, but instead she pulled me down into the snow with her.

I looked flabbergasted into her eyes and was met with a smile.

She didn't say a word, she simply parted her lips and kissed me.

We made love for the first time that day, in the blood tainted snow at the base of Peryites shrine.

We married some time after, true to her character it was blunt and unorthodox, she simply waved down a traveling priestess of Mara, paid ten Septims, and had the ceremony done in the shadow of a dilapidated tower.

"No reason to thank me my love, you have better judgment than I do, when it comes to these things."

"Most things you mean." she joked, and I laughed, the echoes traveling down throughout the cave. The echoes of my laugh were returned by the screeching of Falmer.

"Well, they certainly know we're here now." Lydia mocked.
It made no difference though, with my whispered aura I could sense the Falmer before they were even near us. We dispatched of the first dozen or so silently, with arrows and muffled backstabs.

After making our way further down, a strange light caught my eye. It was a ghost, beckoning me to its side. As I drew near it vanished, leaving a wispy trail of smoke that led me to a small diary.

"Refugees." I placed the tattered diary back down by its former owner "They got suckered into coming here, and I guess they became Falmer food."

"Gah, I despise these things. We must cleanse this cave."

"I know my dear. I know."

By now the nagging had become almost physical, the voice that had once whispered in my head was now howling. We had to leave this place, but I knew she would not consent until every last Falmer lay dead at her feet.

So we moved onward, the mangled remains of those poor villagers we discovered in Chillwind Depths popping in and out of focus within my minds eye.

"Falmer, up ahead, three, two on a ridge, one on the ground." I was using my whispered aura to sense the Falmer, and I moved forward with Lydia covering my back with her bow.

I killed the Falmer on the ground with ease, my blade meeting him just below his jaw, the second fell to Lydias arrow, and I rushed the third with my shield raised. I knocked him on his back and thrust my sword deep into his lower stomach, and to my surprise he began laughing. I stumbled back, blade dripping his foul blood, he continued cackling, and pointed behind me.
I looked back to find my dearest Lydia with a Falmer sword jutting out of her back, between a soft spot in her armor. The beast was gnawing on her neck, preventing her from screaming.

I could not tell you how I felled that monster. I can only tell you that I found Lydia already perished. Her eyes, her phenomenally azure eyes, were fixated upon my face.

I have never known such rage. Not when the Imperials threatened to behead me for crimes even I was unaware of, not when my fellow Companions berated me and called me 'welp', not even when Sheogorath, in all of his madness, confounded my mind with riddles and nonsensical gibberish. Nothing compared to the white hot fury I felt in those moments.

I charged forth, blatantly disregarding the noise I was making, and found the final chamber populated by several Falmer. I felled a few with my sword, and sent the rest fleeing from my voice. I found the few remaining, including their captain, huddled in a hut.

I sliced the first from the crown of his skull to the end of his loins, bashed the second with my shield, froze the third solid with my voice, and broiled the leader alive with my magicka. I stopped periodically to bask in his pitiful, tortured, screams.
After the last finally drew no more breath I was left with a terrible hollowness.
I trudged reluctantly, tears streaming down my face, to find my dearly beloved.

I could not carry her to town, her armor was too heavy. To strip her naked would have been to subject her to the leering lecherous view of every guardsman and wretch of Riften.

No. This would be her tomb. This hellish, fetid sewer, symbol of all that was wrong with Skyrim, with Tamriel, would be her resting place.

I carried her to a pedestal, laid her down, and went about arranging a small shrine to her. While searching through her satchel I found something that shook me to tears.

A well worn copy of the tale of Fjori and Holgeir.

I can not forgive this world. The same world that looks to me to save it from its own machinations. The same world that is filled with creatures and beasts such as these souless Falmer. I can not forgive the world that took my housecarl. My beloved. My Lydia.

Crovon

Distinguished Member
Kingster IOM said:
Is there anywhere to buy Lockpicks? I'm all out.
Try belethors general store in whiterun, I'm sure I've seen lockpicks for sale in there.

There's probably other shops that sell them too.

Bean84

Novice Member
Is there anywhere to buy Lockpicks? I'm all out.
Best thing to do is to buy any that you come across when trading and then maybe up your skill tree a little bit as you can bring down the difficulty level of each.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

Anthem launches latest AV receivers, processors and amplifiers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim and Focal discount premium music systems
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton