Elden Ring - PS5 or PC (3070ti and 5600x)?

rhodos

A bit of an age old question but for me its the first time I've had the first-world problem of having both a current gen console (PS5) and a decent mid-range gaming PC (3070ti & Rizen 5600x).

I have had the PC mainly for sim racing this last year but I've also picked up a bunch of games I'd normally play on console as the sale prices are generally better :)

Elden Ring however will be the first day-one purchase I've made since having both the PS5 and PC and thus the first time I've been inclined to ask this question. [Perhaps I should have said the Souls franchise is probably the only one I've played soup to nuts, thus very keen; I dont usually do day 1 for anything but for this I would].

I wonder if the "built for the platform" nature of the PS5 version would allow it to better the on paper superiorty of the 3070ti5600x?

I guess the future of mods is much more likely on the PC. So even if there's performance parity today the long term value proposition could be better on PC.

Either way I'd be playing from a sofa to a 55" 4k LG TV using a controller.

Thoughts? [and I know its early thoughts, wait and see if the obvious answer; but I mean has anyone feedback from looking at a recent <12 month release on each platform of a similar spec. Currently I don't have any other recent games on both my PC and my PS5].

Last edited:

Brummy1875

The pc will be superior in every way but the bottleneck could be your display im assuming is a 4k so you will have to tweak some settings to get decent performance and use dlss if this game has it 👍

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
I am not as convinced as above that the pc will be superior , I believe it will be much of a muchness on that rig......
more importantly I would say is longevity of the platform. for instance I still have access.to pc games from 20 years ago. this is not true of my console games (emulation aside).

but possibly the most important issue is the multiplayer. it isn't cross platform so if you want to coop with friends (assuming you can do that and it isn't forced randoms like dark souls) you need to be on matching platforms.

on pc it was possible with darksouls to coop with friends thanks to mods.... modding is a +1 for pc
but OTOH pc games tend to have far more cheaters than console.

for me these multiplayer and platform longevity questions issues would be more important than the looks etc.

rhodos

Thanks for the thoughts.
Souls' has generally in my experiences been random MP encoutners, whether a supporting summons or an invader. So I am less bothered about MP.

I was swayed by potential for mods and price.

I have just gone for the PC version. I tend not to pre-order but at £41 on Amazon for the day 1 box+code it felt like a good deal for something I expect to get 100+ hours from :)

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the thoughts.
Souls' has generally in my experiences been random MP encoutners, whether a supporting summons or an invader. So I am less bothered about MP.

I was swayed by potential for mods and price.

I have just gone for the PC version. I tend not to pre-order but at £41 on Amazon for the day 1 box+code it felt like a good deal for something I expect to get 100+ hours from :)
You've heard of CDKeys right?

Hawklord

Not long now can't wait.

What class will you all be playing, I'm going with deprived class and start with nothing but a club and my whit's..

Hawklord

For anyone who purchased from CDkeys you might want to check your account as my code was available. I'm pre-loading the game on steam now .:)

rhodos

For anyone who purchased from CDkeys you might want to check your account as my code was available. I'm pre-loading the game on steam now .:)
thx - just kicked off the load

Beezy

So no ultra wide support for pc?
Nope. Will probably be available as a mod but it might then block access to online.

I'm half tempted to get this, not a huge fan of souls like games but haven't got much to play at the moment. Will be getting the ps5 version if decide to buy.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
surprised how many people are going for the PS5 version over the PC version. I think I'll wait for some comparison videos especially from DF but you'd have thought the PC version would be superior surely? Anyway this has gone from not being on my radar to being very much on it but it's obviously going to need a lot of time investing in it, might struggle to dedicate as much time as it deserves really

Beezy

surprised how many people are going for the PS5 version over the PC version. I think I'll wait for some comparison videos especially from DF but you'd have thought the PC version would be superior surely? Anyway this has gone from not being on my radar to being very much on it but it's obviously going to need a lot of time investing in it, might struggle to dedicate as much time as it deserves really
This is locked at 60fps and no ultrawide support so would playing with black bars on my screen.

I haven't watched any videos so not sure if it's a steady 60fps on consoles but I'd rather play on my 65" OLED if there's not much difference between PS5 and PC versions.

Also can resell a physical copy once either completed or get too frustrated with the constant dying.

RetroGlide08

Nope. Will probably be available as a mod but it might then block access to online.

I'm half tempted to get this, not a huge fan of souls like games but haven't got much to play at the moment. Will be getting the ps5 version if decide to buy.
Yup, kind of steering towards the PS5 version myself because of this.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom