1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elac Jet 330

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by keelby1, May 2, 2003.

1. keelby1

keelby1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    At the momement I'm running Kef eggs through a Yamaha 554 with a Panasonic RA82 DVD player. I'm quite happy with the HC set up, but the audio is nothing like up to scratch. In my opionion, my first stage in the upgrade process, should be a set of front speakers. The problem I have, is finding something my wife approves of. She appreciated the design and appearance of the Elac jet 330and I approved of the reviews. However she didnt appove of the price. I am prepared to wait to see if there are any second hand ones available, but since I've never audionioned them, has anyone got any comments or perhaps any alternatives. Also any tips on the next upgrade would be appeciated.

2. Ravi 123

Ravi 123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heres a review for the elac,
    http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=2036

I think for the kind of money you should be looking at dynaudios, B & W, Sonus, Ruark but depending on your reciever it maybe a bit hard push to get the best out of the speakers and would also be looking at a matching centre.

Good Luck

Ravi

P.S Don't worry my wife doesn't approve to anything when it comes music and HT.:D

3. keelby1

keelby1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    My next stage after the speakers would be an audio amp and then a decent CD player. Cosmetically a valve amp would look good, but due to my lack of knowledge, would have to be carefull of compatabilty. The other option of course would be to change the receiver and run a power amp through the pre out. All in all I think my budget will be £2500

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    How about some nicely finished "big box" (stand mount) speakers ... Ruark and Quad come to mind for reasonable price nice wood finished boxes. Add a pair of nice stands and they fit in nicely to most rooms. As Ravi says though you wont get the best out of them with a budget AV amp so it's only worth doing if you plan to upgrade later. Remember you need to also think about your centre speaker as for best sound the front three needs to match.

As for the audio amp and CD player ... yes a valve amp looks good but I don't think it would fit in with a HC system. A valve amp has a very distinctive sound (from what my little experience of valves tells me) and I don't think you'll get good tonal balance accross the front three speakers that route.

You'll get a lot better musical sound out of a good integrated amp than you will from a comprable AV amp ... it's not till you get into Rotel Processor / Power amp teretory at a minimum that you are approaching the musical quality of an integrated. I would look at something like a Arcam A85 with a Pioneer 811 or Yamaha 630 AV amp/reciever. Add a Arcam CD82T or similar and you'll have a good system within your budget.

Vikki

5. willems

willems

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are lovely speakers. I would like a pair one day

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Meeeps ... just realised how much the Elac 330 thingy's are ... definately need something better than the Yamaha

7. Gomez

Gomez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Elac is pretty popular here in Germany. For more Information about the CL 330, here's their website:

http://www.elac.de/en/products/three/show.php?c=cl330jet

The JET tweeter is really famous over here, people consider it to be one of the best technologies used at the moment.

It seems as if you've once had a listen to them, you never escape again...:eek:

Unfortunately, I never listened to a JET tweeter, as even the cheapest model (the 205) is far beyond my budget.

Regards,
    Gomez

8. keelby1

keelby1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The Yamaha is going no matter what. I originally went into our local Hi Fi shop for a Panasonic all in one for about £400 but was persuaded otherwise. Much to my wife's delight I'm now hooked and after only three months, I've decided its time for an upgrade.

As I said I'm reasonably happy with the AV sound. If I was to get a half decent av amp with pre outs, using the eggs for cinema and run the cd player through a valve amp with whatever speakers I choose.
    Reading the review (thanks Ravi), I reckon the Elac's are the equelent to a £1500 pair of speakers, the rest going on design.