Elac DF62 amp pairing

sasann

Novice Member
Hey community,
I'm still new in the av game. I picked up a pair of Elac DF6.2 a few months ago not knowing these are inefficient, hard to drive speakers.
They sounded dull and lifeless with my then entry level Yamaha av receiver. Current Yamaha RX-V6A can definitely runs them fuller and louder but I wonder, what kinda sound I get out them with more powerful amplifier.
What would be a good power-amplifiers pairing for my speakers? In my research, I narrowed the following list of amplifier and their respective rating. Rather not spend more than $1000.

Emotiva BasX A2
2 x 160 W (8 Ω)
Fairly neutral
$449

Emotiva XPA-2 Gen3 2 channel
2 x 300 W (8 Ω)
$1100

XTZ A2-300
2 x 150 W (8 Ω)
$500
Very neutral class D amp

XTZ A2-400
2 x 220 W (8 Ω)
$1100

Parasound A 23
2 x 160 W (8 Ω)
$1595

Crown XLS1002
2 x 350 (8 Ω)
$365

rccarguy2

Whatever amp you choose, make sure you match the pre out voltage and power amplifier voltage sensivivity (Yamaha pre amps don't have high voltage pre outs)

That Yamaha only has pre outs for L/R not all the channels.

sasann

Novice Member
Whatever amp you choose, make sure you match the pre out voltage and power amplifier voltage sensivivity (Yamaha pre amps don't have high voltage pre outs)
Thanks for bringing this topic up. Reading around looks like newer Yamaha avrs can output up to 2V on pre-outs, enough for all amps on my list. I have no idea what, let's say 0.4V difference between pre-outs and amp sensitivity, would do the sound though.
That Yamaha only has pre outs for L/R not all the channels.
I have a 3 channels setup in mind. L/R on dedicated amplifier, center will get power from avr. would that be a problem?

Still my biggest unknown is this: How much powerful of an amplifier I need? I'm worried I get one with 150W x 2 and still that wouldn't be enough.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom