Elac debut 2.0 B5.2 - advice needed

Hugh22

Novice Member
Hi everyone.

Hope someone can help me.

I don't understand anything about speakers and/or amplifiers so I'm sorry if this question is a complete nonsense.

I've recently got, as a present, a pair of Elac debut 2.0 B5.2 speakers but not sure if I can connect them to the home theater system I've got , it's a Sony DAV-DZ260 model. Does anyone know if this is feasible or a no go?

Thanks in advance for any kind of advice

muljao

Not really
The speaker connectors on the Sony are made up for the supplied Sony speakers,plus the unit is meant as a sort of surround sound.

You'd need to buy an amplifier for these to be used. Depending on if that is what you want to do,specify what your needs are, there's loads on this forum likely to try to help you out

Hugh22

Novice Member
Not really
The speaker connectors on the Sony are made up for the supplied Sony speakers,plus the unit is meant as a sort of surround sound.

You'd need to buy an amplifier for these to be used. Depending on if that is what you want to do,specify what your needs are, there's loads on this forum likely to try to help you out
Oh I see. Many thanks. Guess I'll have to look around for an amplifier then

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Splendid speakers are the Elacs by all accounts.

If you’d let us know an approximate budget there’re plenty around here who can offer advice.

Hugh22

Novice Member
Splendid speakers are the Elacs by all accounts.

If you’d let us know an approximate budget there’re plenty around here who can offer advice.
I'd say $300 to $400. Are there are any decent amplifiers in that price range? Thanks

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member

Both of these will do a great job with the Elacs if you’d like to buy new and locally.

Used will get you a better bargain if you’re happy to buy that way.

Do you need Bluetooth, a streamer or a dac input?

Hugh22

Novice Member

Both of these will do a great job with the Elacs if you’d like to buy new and locally.

Used will get you a better bargain if you’re happy to buy that way.

Do you need Bluetooth, a streamer or a dac input?
Suppose it would be nice to have Bluetooth, not sure about the streamer and the dac as I don't know what they are 🙃

muljao

Suppose it would be nice to have Bluetooth, not sure about the streamer and the dac as I don't know what they are 🙃
Nothing wrong with not knowing, no such thing as a stupid question.

You will though need to clarify your purpose, is it to listen to music off a computer,from your tv, CDs, your phone, a little info will give you better advice

Hugh22

Novice Member
Nothing wrong with not knowing, no such thing as a stupid question.

You will though need to clarify your purpose, is it to listen to music off a computer,from your tv, CDs, your phone, a little info will give you better advice
Mostly for listening to music probably off my TV as on my phone it gets interrupted with phone calls etc.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
If it is off the TV as a main source you are best either looking for an integrated amp with an optical digital input (also called Toslink) or getting a separate DAC (there are some around the £100-125 mark that a very good e.g. Topping E30 or SMSL Sanskrit 10th mk2).

Hugh22

Novice Member
If it is off the TV as a main source you are best either looking for an integrated amp with an optical digital input (also called Toslink) or getting a separate DAC (there are some around the £100-125 mark that a very good e.g. Topping E30 or SMSL Sanskrit 10th mk2).
The TV does have an optical digital output so that should suffice.

Guys thank you all for pointing me in the right direction!

muljao

Denon do an affordable amp with plenty of features. This may interest you (it's American review but amp available in Europe)

muljao

Also you're saying about music being interrupted when calls made on phone etc, this always happens with Bluetooth, but I'd it's Spotify or tidal or any of them sources you use, you can buy (inexpensive) devices that allow you stream over the internet with better sound quality and no interuptions when there's a call, just for info

Hugh22

Novice Member
Also you're saying about music being interrupted when calls made on phone etc, this always happens with Bluetooth, but I'd it's Spotify or tidal or any of them sources you use, you can buy (inexpensive) devices that allow you stream over the internet with better sound quality and no interuptions when there's a call, just for info
There's just so much I don't know about! For you, what is the best option for listening to music? Cheers

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Bluetoo
There's just so much I don't know about! For you, what is the best option for listening to music? Cheers

Where do you get your music from? Is it DAB, internet radio, Spotify, you tube, iTunes?

The source generally makes a difference in the choice of amps.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
The Denon above for instance will be all you’d need.

It has Bluetooth included and three digital inputs. So the tv is covered as well.

The only problem is that it’s about 500 Eurosso a tad over budget.

muljao

Personally I use Spotify case it is simple and so many devices support it. I'm not saying it's the best but it's the best for me. If you are paying for Spotify and get a device with Spotify connect, you should get better sound quality than Bluetooth and phone calls won't interrupt the music.

As @Paul7777x says the denon I mentioned may be over budget but I've seen it at 329 euros, but obviously I don't know in Portugal.

Tbh if I had your budget I'd buy a yamaha wda-10. It's a streaming box that will cover all your streaming needs. I'd look for a decent secondhand amp with the rest of the budget that has a dac inbuilt. This would give you streaming and the option of plugging in your tv. I'd specifically look at something like the Yamaha A-S501,I recently bought one for 140 euros. If you got these two for 300-350 I think you'd have a very good setup

Hugh22

Novice Member
Denon do an affordable amp with plenty of features. This may interest you (it's American review but amp available in Europe)

Hi muljao

I was looking to buy this amp but I have a question, the impedance on the amp shows 4 ~ 16 ohm but the speakers are 4 ~ 8 ohm. Would they still work with this amp?

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Hi muljao

I was looking to buy this amp but I have a question, the impedance on the amp shows 4 ~ 16 ohm but the speakers are 4 ~ 8 ohm. Would they still work with this amp?

It matters not at all. The Denon will drive any and all price compatible speakers with ease.

Not necessarily a party volume animal, but more than enough for any domestic music requirements.

The Elacs will thank you for it.

Hugh22

Novice Member
It matters not at all. The Denon will drive any and all price compatible speakers with ease.

Not necessarily a party volume animal, but more than enough for any domestic music requirements.

The Elacs will thank you for it.
Fantastic thank you Paul!

muljao

As Paul said.....

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 22nd September 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Creative introduces Sound Blaster Katana V2 soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audeze introduces reference LCD-5 planar magnetic headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Chord Electronics launches Anni desktop amplifier