ELAC DBR62 speakers for movies and music

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Hi Friends,

Planning to buy 4 of these (2 for fronts and 2 for surround) with Atmos add on module on both fronts and rear.

Anyone using this in your home theater setup? Is it strictly recommended for music only or will it do well for both movies and music?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi Friends,

Planning to buy 4 of these (2 for fronts and 2 for surround) with Atmos add on module on both fronts and rear.

Anyone using this in your home theater setup? Is it strictly recommended for music only or will it do well for both movies and music?

Usually good speakers with music will sound great with movies too, of course some might prefer more forward presentation with movies than something which is more laid back / too polite. However i don´t think these would be the latter. I have watched closely and read lot about this model as they seem to be one of the best 500$ speakers if we look subjective reviews, owners comparisons to other models and objective measurements. The famous Andrew Jones has designed them which of course is big plus for many cause the guy clearly knows how to design excellent speakers.

However when it comes to movie system i would be more intrested how good the center channel is cause that speaker is so important. Sadly i haven´t seen much talk about DBR Centre. You didn´t mention centre so are you going to be running without it?

If you can`t go listen them before hand then perhaps buy pair first and talk with the dealer that he will give you some trial period.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Usually good speakers with music will sound great with movies too, of course some might prefer more forward presentation with movies than something which is more laid back / too polite. However i don´t think these would be the latter. I have watched closely and read lot about this model as they seem to be one of the best 500$ speakers if we look subjective reviews, owners comparisons to other models and objective measurements. The famous Andrew Jones has designed them which of course is big plus for many cause the guy clearly knows how to design excellent speakers.

However when it comes to movie system i would be more intrested how good the center channel is cause that speaker is so important. Sadly i haven´t seen much talk about DBR Centre. You didn´t mention centre so are you going to be running without it?

If you can`t go listen them before hand then perhaps buy pair first and talk with the dealer that he will give you some trial period.

Thanks mate. I checked with one dealer. They said this one suits music and recommended Klipsch 600M saying it strikes a good balance between music and movies.

I was under the impression that a speaker that excels in music should excel in movies where musical score and action sounds come from LR channels.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I was under the impression that a speaker that excels in music should excel in movies where musical score and action sounds come from LR channels.

Agree. Klipsch is no doubt good option for movies, but very expensive in UK/Europe compared to US prices. Klipsch RP is brighter than Elac which we can see from measurements too so some people might prefer this type of sound, personal preferences and dealers will of course push certain brands. Buying blind is always bit risky and leaves those what if thoughts if you have few options which you are considering..

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Agree. Klipsch is no doubt good option for movies, but very expensive in UK/Europe compared to US prices. Klipsch RP is brighter than Elac which we can see from measurements too so some people might prefer this type of sound, personal preferences and dealers will of course push certain brands. Buying blind is always bit risky and leaves those what if thoughts if you have few options which you are considering..

What do you think? I am inclined towards the ELAC DBR62 as it has got favourable reviews from few trusted audiophiles over any other speakers in this price range.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom