1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ELAC Cinema XL

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by gtfc, Jan 24, 2003.

1. gtfc

gtfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI,

Could anyone please help with the following.
    I keep seeing v good reviews for the Elac Cinema 1 package, but I know they do a Cinema XL set which uses the same sub with the better Cinema 2 sats and a proper dual cone center speaker. Does anybody have any knowledge or experience of the XL set which will help me make an informed choice over what to buy.
    I can get the Cinema 1 for 350
    Cinema 2 for 399
    Cineam XL 429

Thanks in advance

2. neilybealy

neilybealy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
  3. Hinch

Hinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry neilybealy I can't answer your question but I'd like to know where your getting the Cinema XL from and do they do the Pipe front speakers as well?

Sounds like youve narrowed it down to Elac. Have you had any thoughts on the Mission FS1's. They are in the same price bracket as the ones you list. I'm going to audition some Missions as well as the Elacs to see what they sound like.

4. gtfc

gtfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hifistore.co.uk are getting some in soon, I only found out about the XL set on the German Elac Website. Senheiser who import them list them on a price list but don't feature them on their site. It just shows what a limited amount of product is reviewed by UK magazines.

Regards

John

5. gtfc

gtfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you look at WWW.Elac.com you may find what you're looking for. I've heard the missions against an Elac Cinema 2 and the Elacs win on sound and look much much better. + they have a 10 warranty !!

Regards

John

6. Ade

Ade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9

Hinch
    Found Cinema XL at proaudiosystems.co.uk (also sells Cinema 1,2,XL components separately). Don't know about Pipe speakers though.
    Did you audition the Elacs?

7. Hinch

Hinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes you could say I narrowed it down to the point where I purchased the Elac Cinema XL system (Cinema 2's with the XL centre and the 101 sub) I picked them up last week and I am very impressed. I auditioned the Mission's but took a chance on the Elac without listening to them and it paid off....Phew :)

Very robust speakers and sub is nice as well. I married them up with QED silver aniversary cable to fronts and centre and QED copper to rears.

So far movies sound excellent and cd's are good too. Cant comment on DVD Audio or SACD as I havent had chance to purchase any yet. Anyway my verdict is damn good system for £550.00

Ian

Panasonic 37PW5B, Onkyo SR600, Pioneer 656A, Freeview and of course Elac sub/sat

8. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Cinema XL is reviewed in this months What HiFi. Gets 3 stars i think. They say that the Cinema 2 speakers are not as good as the 1's

9. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That fits with the quick audition I had in less than perfect circumstances. I thought the 1's were much better integrated and less 'shouty'.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a set for the sitting room. (WAF) ;-) Bit of a comedown from the main listening room but a lot better than nothing and I can't afford a set of Gallos