1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ELAC Cinema 1 ESP II OR Canton CD1

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by martind, Aug 9, 2005.

1. martind

martind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
  2. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    The same website has the ELac Cinema 2 package @ £299.00 which is the cheapest I have seen anywhere. Most other places are charging £349.00 - £399.00. Retail price apparantly is £499.00.
    I was originally going for the Cinema 1 package but think the extra £100.00 would be worth paying as the Cinema 2 package has the bigger, highly rated centre speaker and the sats are all aluminium rather than plastic.
    Trouble is, whenever I click on their website to buy there is an error showing which I can't get around. I am going to phone them today to try to find out if they will take an order over the phone.
    But both of these systems have had very good reviews, and have certainly got to be a step up from the weedy Denons that came with my DHT500SD.
    (I hope!!)
    Rob

3. Troon

Troon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Canton satellites have a lower published (ie take it with a pinch of salt) frequency extension, which means there is less chance of being able to localize the sub. The Cantons are also a tad more sensitive (86.5dB/W @1m vs 84 for the Elac) which means less amp power for the same output.

IMO, the Cantons are far better looking, too: I have a CD1 set in black, and the satellites exude class. From the pictures, the Elacs look cheap, although they may look better in real life.

4. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    My Elac's turned up earlier this week, and are now connected up.
    First thing I noticed was how heavy each speaker was compared to my previous sats (Denon).
    The difference between the Cinema 1 and 2 packages are that the 2's have an all metal construction as opposed to the plastic housings on the 1's.
    The centre speaker is bigger too and, due to it's weight is the ideal thing to whack a burglar over the head with!
    Played both DVD's and CD's and the sound is incredible from such a compact speaker system.
    I shopped around for this system and most prices were between £349 - £399.00 but I found one site selling the 2's for £299.00 (compared to the "retail" price of £499.00)
    At the above price, take it from me, they are an absolute bargain.
    Highly recommended.
    Rob