1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ELAC Cinema 1 ESP II a good buy????

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sefton, Sep 19, 2004.

1. sefton

sefton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Im having a home extension built at the moment and looking to include a small/medium sized home cinema. To date I've bought:

Philips 30PF9975 LCD
    Denon AVR-1705 amp
    very cheap clairtone dvd (given to me!) which will have to do for the moment due to budget restraints.

And, I'm just about to purchase the ELAC Cinema 1 ESP II speakers for about £250. Is this a good deal and does anyone have any comments about them?

Also the Sub is down firing http://www.elac.com/en/index.html (if this is the correct term) and I'd like to hide it away in a cuboard under the ldc. Do I need to take out the bottom of the cuboard to hear it properly?? I will leave the front of the cuboard off as well.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. justthekiddy

justthekiddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    seen the elac cinema one down to 189.99 on hifibitz

3. sefton

sefton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Yes, I think this is a fantastic deal....I received my speakers last week but havent connected everything together. It gets good reveiews everywhere. My only one concern is that it can't be driven too hard'. Has anyone regreted buying the elac because of this?

4. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Elac 'One' is just fine for sensible levels with a TV or 'domesticly friendly' set-up. I have one and some much more expensive gear elsewhere. The Elac doesn't disappoint when I simply want to relax and watch a movie.

5. sefton

sefton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great, so its girlfriend friendly as well :thumbsup:.

How do you find the crossover? Is it very dynamic or just like having four speakers in your room instead of one/two. I've heard a few demos albeit in large department stores of JVC speakers and theyve sounded pants.

Also, is the sub upto much? Can it ever give you that punchy feeling such as in the cinema?

I'm going to twin my elac upto a denon avr-1705 with qed original speaker wire and quality cables ordered through this site, sub, coaxil etc.. Do you think this will improve the sound by much?

Thanks for your opinion.

Mike

ps does anyone know how to set the speaker configuration for the elacs?

I guess its:

Front - large
    Centre - small
    Rear - small

If this is the case what should the frequency be set as for the subwoofer? Sorry if this is obvious :blush:

6. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Mike,

Certainly girlfriend/wife friendly :)

Crossover is less than perfect, as you'd maybe expect at this price point, but it certainly doesn't sound like individual speakers in my (fairly live) room. The sub can provide just about enough 'slam' to give you at least a simulacrum of the cinema experience at home, just don't listen to a really top-class system just before or after the Elacs. Ideal crossover frequency will depend at least partly on your particular circumstances but I'd go for 100, 120 or even 150Hz
    if the sub doesn't make itself felt as a directional source in your room for a smoother result. For my money the Cinema One is superior to the Two in all respects. At the price, you can hardly go wrong and, yes, I did listen to a lot of others in the same price range before purchasing and I had the Cinema Twos' for a couple of weeks before the Ones' arrived thanks to my friendly local dealer.

As to the cabling, I really wouldn't go to town. I use 1.5mm mains cable for the speaker connects and a decently screened bit of mic cable for the sub feed. There is a lot of witchcraft around in this business and you are generally better off spending your hard earned on decent speakers, sources and amplification, more or less in that order, than snake oil.

7. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    PS Speaker config (depending on the amp) needs to be front small, centre small and rear small.

8. sefton

sefton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is a great new word and probably very apt for most low/mid range setups.

Thanks for your advice. I will tell you what I think of my set up once the room has been built!

Mike

9. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Best of luck and please do let me know how it goes. I'm off to watch a movie and do serious damage to a bottle of red wine. (listening to the Elacs of course) :smashin:

10. sefton

sefton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Will do. Room won't be ready for 6/7 weeks. Toooo long to wait :( :(

11. sefton

sefton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I finally set my Elacs up and wow do they sound great (to a novice anyway). I've been playing Lord of the rings dvd through them which is amazing although I still need to play about with all the settings.

The sub does pack a punch albeit a simulacrum one but its good enough for my new living room. Music sounds decent as well played through my denon AVR01705 amp.

All in all very happy with this set up and it should keep me happy for a while. I will post pics of the whole set up shortly for anyone interested in seeing how I designed my cinema in my new room.

Mike

12. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Glad you finally made it!

Now you need to spend a little while fiddling about to get the best out of the set-up. Then, forget the technology for a while, sit back and enjoy the experience. Otherwise upgradeitis may well set in early and that way madness lies.