• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

'El Cheapo' upgrade from a Marantz SR4200 required

mug

Established Member
Ok its time for an upgrade as I've acquired a veritable fortune (£200). As you may of noticed I'm a complete cheap ass and am always on the prowl for a bargain. Could you knowledgeable guys give me a few suggestions ?. Below is what I'm after :-

Auto setup (MultiEQ) *This would be a bonus
100w per channel

I think the Denon 2805 looks like a good option. Any more suggestions would be great

mug

Established Member
Yeah sorry I never mentioned that. I'm after a 2nd hand one because you get more 'bang' for your buck !

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I don't think £200 is enough to spend to see a marked improvement over your 4200.If you can spend £250-£300 you might start to see the benefit.

Denon 3805 around £250 ish would be an improvement over what you have now but no hdmi sound.Yamaha RX V1700 with hdmi around £275 ish.There are others maybe Sony DA1200es around £150+ but the other two are easily better than the Sony.

There's a 3805 on the classifieds now at £200,and a 12 month old yammy 1700 went last week for £280 IIRC both these amps were £800+ when new.

mug

Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys. I was leaning towards a Denon 3805 or Yammy 1600 as they both seem to pack a bit more oomph compared to my SR4200

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom