1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

El Cheapo Upgrade for Dscaler??

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by loafer316, Mar 31, 2003.

1. loafer316

loafer316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have an old PC which i use to watch TV upstairs:

spec:

PIII 500
    384 SDRAM
    Win XP pro
    Rage 128 32mb
    LifeView (pCworld) Tuner
    Dscaler 4.1.6
    DTT box using Composite over S-video

Anyway i will be making a new PC for downstairs (probably shuttle based) but still want to add to this so i can make full use of Dscaler.

Currently i can only really use Greedy Low Motion..any other activity and it struggles :rolleyes: but i would like to use TomsmoComp plus a filter or two. What should/can i get? i'm prepared to get a M/B, CPU and RAM....but the budget would be around the £150-170 range. Plus do you reckon i'll have to change the PSU?

Any recommendations? What are the Celerons like?

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I personally think that the Celerons are begining to get a little lost with the latest Dscaler stuff, and with your budget you will have to rule out P4's.

I would go for a board like the Asus A7V8X at £65, 512mb of PC2700 ram £45 and a retail packed (to include a HS) XP2100+ £80 or a XP1800+ £56, just make sure the processor is based on the Thoroughbred core as its easier to cool. The stock fan is not too loud and the Asus board has fan speed control which will help.

The 1800 will cope, the 2100 will give you some headroom for the next Dscaler stuff that needs more power.

3. loafer316

loafer316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanxs John! :D

Aahh yes...that would be quite a nice system for £190. Will my old PSU cope with the system? or should i just invest in a new PSU too?

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Needs to be 300W really, ebuyer have a range of cheapies.. >£10 or spend a bit more if you want a quieter one.

5. Caveat

Caveat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An alternative approach might be a DTTV card or USB tuner at around £100. yes theres problems with these cards, but with a similar choice (usb DTV vs Pace DTTV box SVHS into a celeron 1G cpu) I always choose the USB despite the horrid ergonomics.
    Of course it wont make any games run faster or browsers snap into life fasater, but modern cpus are expensive to keep quiet.

6. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I has comparing TomsMoComp to Video (Greedy, High Motion) last night using some X-Box S-Video games and Dscaler 4.1.6.

The scrolling tickertape in Sega GT2003 has noise speckles on the white writing scrolling to the left, where it looks clear with Greedy.

I think TomsMoComp still has motion-adaptive bugs in it and only seems to output 25fps, 50fps as I would have expected to make the most of motion adaptive de-interlacing.

I would stick with Adaptive or Greedy for now and save the cost for 6 months, then you'll get a huge processor upgrade for the same price!

The pb tv-100 saa7130 benefits from a Chroma output filter adjustment, but I wouldn't say it really needs it at a push. It's also clean enough that a noise filter or shasrpness doesn't produce much of a benefit.

What filters do you wish for then?

regards,
    Rob.