El cheapo DTS set up Vs. Bose..

achilles8

Standard Member
Happy New Year Everyone,

Just returned from a journey across the big pond and spent a significant
part of my holiday in the various home theatre stores in the US. The cool
thing about the US is that they allow you to play with everything in the
shop ;-)
I heard a whole range of systems ranging from the Kenwood's to the Sony's to
the Bose's. The Bose lifestyle systems are being marketed pretty hard!! They
do sound pretty good but I don't think they are worth the dosh they are
asking for....
Anyways to get back to the point, this Christmas Santa got me a Kenwood 6060
DTS receiver and Eltax Chroma speakers (Total cost approx 450 quid). After
listening to all the systems in the US I sincerely feel my set up sounds
pretty good, actually I would go on to say that it in my living room (15' X
15') it sounds as good as any of the Bose systems that cost around 4500
dollars!
Is Bose just overvalued or are the Chroma speakers and the Kenwood just a
good combination ?

Cheers
Achilles
 

gringottsdirect

Active Member
Originally posted by achilles8
They do sound pretty good but I don't think they are worth the dosh they are asking for....

Ain't just Bose, truth is that can be said of a lot of other stuff too.
Hey if it makes people happy they can spend their money any which way.

It's been said already, lots of buyers would be equally as happy with the performance of Sherwood, Eltax and others if you change the badges.

Enjoy your system.
 

Ian J

Banned
Originally posted by achilles8
Is Bose just overvalued or are the Chroma speakers and the Kenwood just a good combination ?
There is yet a further option which is that you have a hearing problem and if your budget system sounds as good as "all the systems in the US" that option would win my vote.
 

achilles8

Standard Member
Originally posted by Ian J
There is yet a further option which is that you have a hearing problem and if your budget system sounds as good as "all the systems in the US" that option would win my vote.
oye, my ears might have gone but I never said it sounded as good as all the systems in the US, all I said was that it sounds as good as the Bose systems :)

Maybe its your eyesight that should be checked :rolleyes:
 

i-bert

Active Member
Originally posted by achilles8
After
listening to all the systems in the US I sincerely feel my set up sounds
pretty good
Cheers
Achilles
I think you need your eyes testing as this does not mean the same as "Sounds as good as".
 

alexs2

Well-known Member
Quite honestly,having heard Bose gear from the old days of their direct/reflected sound speakers to the modern Lifestyle stuff,I can only conclude that they really are significantly overpriced,even taking into account the dollar/pound conversion problem we suffer from over here :p
 

Similar threads

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar Review, Filmmaker Mode, Disney+ $30 for Mulan, AV news and more
Top Bottom