1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EiV & LOTR retailers

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Desticado, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    not really earth shattering news but just spotted this on the MSN site...

---------------------------------------------
    Early "LOTR" DVD sales land shops in trouble

28 August 2003

If you were surprised to see DVD copies of "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" on the shelves last weekend a full three days before its official release date, you weren‘t the only one. And the movie‘s distributor Entertainment in Video isn‘t happy about it.

After retailers across the UK broke a worldwide embargo by selling the eagerly anticipated DVDs on Friday, Entertainment in Video told the Times newspaper that the stores had sold the movie "without our consent." "We are appalled that the release date could not be kept, and we will be reviewing our trading relationship with the party responsible," said sales director Paul Evenden.

That means stores such as HMV, which were forced to put the DVD on their shelves to keep up to date with its competitors, may face problems securing stock from the distributor in the future. "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" meanwhile has gone on to sell 2.5 million copies in the UK alone.

----------------------

Regards

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

I was certainly curious as to who or why the embargo was cancelled, and the release date brought forward to the Friday. But obviously, it looks like this wasn't actually meant to happen!

Ah well! A lack of EIV videos and DVD's is hardly going to bring tears to the eyes of many UK DVD buyers, when they can simply import the R1 edition instead, and still get the film upto 10 days early! :D

Pooch

3. Barrovian

Barrovian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Second star to the right and straight on 'till mor
    Ratings:
    +57
    I must admit, I thought the original release date of the day after the Bank Holiday was strange. I would have expected the date to be before the Bank Holiday to cash in on sales prior to the weekend. I'm sure that's what happened with Harry Potter earlier this year. Obviously the retailers thought Friday was a better day, sales wise.

4. The Bear

The Bear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cut 'n' pasted from elsewhere:

"i did wonder if this was just to cover their asses as far as new line go. i'm sure the only reason it was scheduled to come out on a tuesday (as the first one was) was so new line could have a same day global release. new films do come out on tuesdays in america, so i guess they geared the global date around the states standard.
    wouldn't be surprised if EIV simply said, bugger that we're getting the extra weekends sales, and planned to do that from the very beginning, and now they're claiming they knew nothing about it."

Sounds about right to me.