Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Check out http://www.eisa-awards.org/awards.html

The Plasma technology related award winners are:

PLASMA TV --> LG 42PC1RR
HIGH-END PLASMA TV --> Panasonic VIERA TH-50PV600/PX600E
HD-COMPONENT --> Pioneer PDP-5000EX

Good to see the PDP-5000E taking out the HD-COMPONENT prize.

So why is a Panasonic 600 considered to be better than say the Fujitsu 58 Series ?

Not really answering your question, but this is what the panel have to say about the Panasonic....

EUROPEAN HIGH-END PLASMA TV
Panasonic VIERA TH-50PV600/PX600E

Compared with its predecessor, the Panasonic TH-50PV600/PX600E is cheaper, weighs less and uses less energy, despite its vast 127cm screen. But it still offers high-contrast pictures with natural colours, intense blacks and brilliant whites, with fine detailing thanks to its V-Real video processing. Two HDMI interfaces are offered, and HDAVI Control allows you to switch on all home cinema components together and play a movie at the touch of a single button. With VIERA you can view still pictures and movies via SD memory card reader, with the possibility to even record TV programmes directly to a card. And its audio performance is impressive too, with deep bass available from its built-in speaker system.

chambeaj said:
So why is a Panasonic 600 considered to be better than say the Fujitsu 58 Series ?

Maybe because the category is for TV not panel....? Or Fujitsu aren't mainstream enough? Or Panasonic persuaded them with cash....:eek: ? On a slightly different note, Chambeaj, have you decided on another display yet?

g852 said:
Maybe because the category is for TV not panel....? Or Fujitsu aren't mainstream enough? Or Panasonic persuaded them with cash....:eek: ? On a slightly different note, Chambeaj, have you decided on another display yet?

Still torturing myself on that one. I want to buy plasma, but silent operation is a must for me. The Fujitsu was bl**dy noisy (and suffered from banding issues on broadcast TV imho which are not apparent on other models such as the Hitachi 9700). Interested in the new Pioneer 427, but of course its not due to around mid sept. :(

I did try the SONY X Series. Sent it packing. Found at least 4 faults on the set. And after watching Sky Movies on the Fujitsu in recent weeks watching dark scenes/fast motion/SkyMovies SD on the SONY is tortorous. The X-Series is way over-priced and way-overrated imho.

LCD imho is simply cr*ap for general TV/Movie viewing.

If it were not for the image retention & lip sync issues I'd of probably said sod it by now and bought the Pioneer 436 (been without a TV of my own for 2 weeks now - only another 6-8 weeks to go!! :suicide: )

There is a very poor choice of good flat panels in the UK. Most seem plagued by design faults/bugs/problems of one sort or another.

Could of been tempted by the Panasonic but concerned about fan noise and the green tinge issue. I found on the Fujitsu I frequently perceived a flash of green along highly contrasted edges. Seemed to vary from programme to programme!! Witnessed a similar problem on the Hitachi 9700, but it only plagued black and white material. On the Fujitsu the problem seemed worsed and also plagued colour programmes.

chambeaj said:
Still torturing myself on that one. I want to buy plasma, but silent operation is a must for me. The Fujitsu was bl**dy noisy (and suffered from banding issues on broadcast TV imho which are not apparent on other models such as the Hitachi 9700). Interested in the new Pioneer 427, but of course its not due to around mid sept. :(

Have you tried any of the other brands? NEC perhaps....Or there's the new Panny 1080p sets next month I think....Or the Pio 5000ex, if still available....I'd be interested in the 58" Panny if it ever materialised...

g852 said:
Have you tried any of the other brands? NEC perhaps....Or there's the new Panny 1080p sets next month I think....Or the Pio 5000ex, if still available....I'd be interested in the 58" Panny if it ever materialised...

Given my room size (10ftx11ft) and viewing distance (2.25m) the maximum screen size I could go for is 42". Budget wise I'm limited to around £4k

chambeaj

must say i have not noticed any of the problems that you seen on the fujitsu 58 series pannel ( i have one) that only thing i seen is some banding but seen this on all pannels i've viewed and also my previous CRT. though the fujitsu show the lesst bannding ive seen IMHO

Skooby

mind you, you've got some serious kit (denon amp & dvd) for quite a small room!

chambeaj said:

I did try the SONY X Series. Sent it packing. Found at least 4 faults on the set. And after watching Sky Movies on the Fujitsu in recent weeks watching dark scenes/fast motion/SkyMovies SD on the SONY is tortorous. The X-Series is way over-priced and way-overrated imho.

LCD imho is simply cr*ap for general TV/Movie viewing.

If it were not for the image retention & lip sync issues I'd of probably said sod it by now and bought the Pioneer 436 (been without a TV of my own for 2 weeks now - only another 6-8 weeks to go!! :suicide: )

There is a very poor choice of good flat panels in the UK. Most seem plagued by design faults/bugs/problems of one sort or another.

Could of been tempted by the Panasonic but concerned about fan noise and the green tinge issue. I found on the Fujitsu I frequently perceived a flash of green along highly contrasted edges. Seemed to vary from programme to programme!! Witnessed a similar problem on the Hitachi 9700, but it only plagued black and white material. On the Fujitsu the problem seemed worsed and also plagued colour programmes.

LG 42PC1D has no retention problems, no green smear issue and good blacks.
It's actually the same screen as the EISA winner LG 42PC1RR, but without HDD PVR.
http://www.eisa-awards.org/history/2006-2007/video.html

With regard to the Fuji, I also notice some banding but put this down to the quality of the SD source and only on specific types of scenes - waiting for the new sky install to see if it improves - never noticed any green tinges though and also don't find the fans noisy at all.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom