1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eire TV tuner is different than UK

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by DFL, Aug 12, 2005.

1. DFL

DFL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Guys,

I am in the wonderful process of choosing my first PDP. I have been told that Panasonic 37PV500's aren't available yet, and may not be until late September. I just wonder if its just me who didn't know that we here in Ireland have to wait longer than our UK neighbours for tvs because we have UHF & VHF tuners (apparently like Germany).
    (Gripe 2 - All these freeview built in tuners are uselss also to us.)

Can I still buy a UK tv, say from Belfast, where even with exchange rate, things are probably cheaper because they haven't had to put in special Irish tuners, and run my tv. Would I only be able to view tv via a NTL/.settop box? Does this mean I'd lose the benefits of Picture in picture and dual display. If so, maybe I should just get a Pioneer 435 FDE?

2. socrates1

socrates1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I may be wrong, but my understanding was that Ireland and the UK are Pal I so that the sets should be fine to work in Ireland. My last TV a Sony 32FQ70 was imported from England and worked off the aerial with no probelms.

Because of the lack of requirement for Freeview here, and because I reckon I won't need HD for a few years yet (after the upcoming format wars are resolved and Sky prices come down), I just imported a standard definition Panasonic 42PA50 (this has no freeview tuner) and pedestal stand from Germany for €1,900 which was €750 cheaper than I could get it here in Ireland. I'm only using it for Sky only so normal aerial usage is not an issue and I haven't tested it as my new house has no standard aerial. The option for auto tuning to aerial inputs in Ireland is not specified in the list of countries at set up. I understand though that you can manually tune the channels and there is an option to go for Pal I sound buried in the menu. Again, this is of no help if you want a HD display. The price differential between Germany and the UK for the 37PV500 was very small but the SD models were a couple of hundred euro cheaper for some reason.

3. DFL

DFL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Killian,

I realise both are PAL and that you CAN watch a UK tv in Ireland, but if you plug in the tv cable directly will you get all of the channels since it doesn't have a VHF tuner. Interestingly, Germany I was told is the only other country which has UHF and VHF like us here. So you WIN!!! That was rather serendipitous. You should have no problem tuning all channels i guess.

Are you using a sky box or NTL box? What website did you use to search for German TV's?

I really think if I'm going to wall mount, I'll save a bundle on cabling by getting a Pioneer. It may offset a huge hidden cost if i opt for the PV500 which I'd also love to get. The ubiquitous avforum debate of pioneer vs panasonic looms on in my head. (Did you know I was told we don't get the XDE here in Ireland, Only HDE and no FDE)

4. socrates1

socrates1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Darren,

I got the set from here. http://www.audiovision-shop.de/Preise/preise_gb.html
    It was €1600 plus €130 for the stand and €170 for shipping with DHL. The 37" would be only €150 cheaper. I just set it up last night so I haven't had a chance to fully evaluate it yet.
    They stock the Pioneers as well but they're not cheap! (43FDE €3,000 and 43XDE 3500, but I think they include a choice of stands but not wall bracket, my German is non-existent) For some reason some products can be much cheaper and others are comparable with UK and Irish prices. The 37PV500 is €2,500 and the 42PV500 is €2,800
    I'm running a Sky Box into the display and so far so good.
    I'm sorry I can't help on the TV tuning question. Out of curiosity how far back from the screen will you be sitting. If it's more than 8-10 feet my understanding from reading the forums is that the difference between SD and HD on a 37 inch screen would not be great. This is one of the reasons I went for the 42PA50. At a distance of 13 feet in my gaff, it should be close enough to HD when HD comes out. In the meantime SD is better at showing SD than HD. The savings on a SD set would buy a lot of cable. I'm not sure I'd go for the Panasonic though as with the silver speakers under the screen it may not look great on the wall. Hope this clears things up for you !!

5. A O Malley

A O Malley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ireland uses VHF for some channels so does chorus and NTL through cable, so if you want to use them check if you need if you need VHF

6. DFL

DFL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry for the tardy reply Killian, My room is 18x12 feet. I'll be sitting across from the tv at the 12foot distance.

Those prices are really good! 42 inches of PDP is just soooo tempting. I've now just become a little more unnerved by the debate on wheter a Panny display vs tv might be an even better option.

I also appreciate the debate that I could spend less now on an SD and get an HD when it really is more mainstream, expecially here in Ireland where we will get delays in everything compared to the UK. I like the way you're thinking Killian.

7. socrates1

socrates1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I think like an accountant - which tragically is what I am !

8. DFL

DFL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    :cool: You can be cool too!

I was on another thread here debating the display only panels. PHD7 is HD compatible and there are new screens (PHD8) just out which should drive price down.

More on the terms which we discussed however is the fact that a PW7 can be picked up fro about 1400 euros. It's not as fantastic as the new PW8, which is more like what you have but without a tuner and the extra costs, but it's a cheaper option still. Afterall , we're just going to watch tv via the NTL box so why pay for the analogue tuner built in to a PE50

Anyway, I have a new tormenting debate in my head now, which is, go for last years panel model at knock down prices and possibly get a scaler (lumagen) later ..... the conflict continues

9. socrates1

socrates1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Darren,

I decided not to go for the panel because by the time you added all the input boards there wasn't a huge saving. Also the 42PA50 has speakers which are fine for regular TV viewing and are more friendly for the wife than booting up the receiver/speakers. I liked the fact that the speakers are below the screen which keeps the width relatively thin and doesn't dominate the room the way I felt a PV500 might.
    On the other hand, the conventional wisdom on the forums is that the display panels are better for pure picture than the commercial TV units. Good luck with your decision. The important thing is not to double guess yourself after you take the plunge, - that way lies insanity!

10. gibreal

gibreal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a PV37500 from DID in Dublin two weeks ago. No problems at all with it.
    They had to order it in alright tho.