1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eillon 950C - can it timeslip?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ColinBeaver, May 9, 2005.

1. ColinBeaver

ColinBeaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm interested in the Eillon 950C. I'm wandering, can you watch what you are recording? Are Eillons any good?

Comments appreciated.

Colin Beaver

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Watch what you are recording yes - but you cannot timeslip, pause live TV etc. It's linear recording only with this model (just like your VCR).

They are cheap and play loads of file formats. But quality is poor. Avoid unless you're on a very tight budget.

3. ColinBeaver

ColinBeaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response.

I was considering the Panasonic DMR95E as well, but that now appears to be obsolete. My budget is around £500, but I'd be happy to pay less. I'd like a decent-sized hard drive, multiregion format, timeslip and reliabilty. What do you suggest?

--
    Colin

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    With a budget like that you are right in the middle ground between the standard HDD/DVDRs (which are around £300) and the top-of-the-range machines (which tend to be around £800) - for obvious reasons most users here opt for the £300-odd ones. The best of these (as I have just posted on another thread) are:
    - Panasonic EH50
    - Toshiba RDXS34
    - Sony RDR-XS510

All three will give significantly better performance than the Ellion you were considering and are all excellent machines. Have a look through reviews, previous posts and the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature to help you decide which of the three is best for you.

5. ColinBeaver

ColinBeaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Either I'm getting old, or it is getting harder and harder to decide which gadget to buy!

Thank you - very useful reviews. All the rest of my equipment is Sony and it seems to work OK, so that is quite tempting. One other question and then I'll stop bothering you - do they support video+? I couldn't find this on your website.

Colin

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Yes. The models stated all support it.

7. Minx

Minx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really? From the manual:

Timeshift Recording
    You can store a TV program in the HDD storage cache temporarily. Do not miss a scene from a live broadcast. If the telephone rings while you are watching your favorite live broadcast, just press TIMESHIFT or PAUSE button before answering the phone. The timeshift function will be activated and the broadcast is then recorded for later viewing. After the phone call or viewing interruption, press PLAY or button to watch the program.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    ...which is a buffer recording not Timeslip. If you've seen how JVC models use this feature then that is more or less how the Ellion does it although the former has timeslip as well.

9. ColinBeaver

ColinBeaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure of the fine distinction between buffer recording and timeslip. What actual difference does it make when using the device?
    --
    Colin

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Timeslip is total freedom once you've got the recording going: you can watch that programme, skip to another programme, FF, FR, Pause etc etc The recording is a proper recording and safe from deletion (unless you delete it). The 'buffer' approach is more linear. Your also limited to recording in one of the pre-set recording modes - which invariably wrong should you wish to archive the recording.

Not being funny but if your not constrained by budget you'd be seeing yourself off quite badly if you opt for a budget machine like the Ellion. But it's your choice...

11. ColinBeaver

ColinBeaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I'll go for the Panasonic. The reason I asked about timeslip was because Eillon emailed me and said that it did do timeslip. I just wanted to check they weren't telling porkies.

Colin

12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    I don't think you'll regret it. However I would still recommend viewing the Eillon just to witness the difference in operation - having a read through this thread I don't think I have really been particularly clear.

The Eillon 950C is a budget HDD/DVDR. It's recording style and abilities are directly comparable to it's sister machines. That said the HDD operation does mean you can effectively pause TV with it - so I should have worded my initial reply differently - but be aware this is a linear process as described. To see what I mean on this issue you really need to see it in action.

13. non-techie

non-techie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On a slightly different note, once you have switched off the recorder to start the scheduled recording, once it has started you hit the title button to bring up the menu of what you have recorded on your HDD, you can see the bottom one is recording and you can indeed view it, along with anything else you wish to select.