Eiki Elf 16mm Sound Projector - What to do with it?

jason7579

At work we have found an Eiki Elf 16mm Sound Projector hidden away. I imagine it has only been used a handful of times but have no film to test it.
It will find its way to the rubbish tip if I don't find a home for it and am looking for some kind of film club around the heathrow area that may be interested in it.

I have no idea what it would be worth to someone or if it even works, but it looks to be in good condition. Does anyone have any idea on where to start, I tried a quick google but its not easy to find a home for this kind of thing. Maybe Freecycle would be my best bet?

Any suggestions welcome...

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
You could try ebay of course. That way it will go to someone who wants it. A quick search on there suggests they still go for reasonably good money.

Gary

jason7579

I'd rather give it away to someone that is happy to collect, I'm not interested in making a profit but at the same time I'd rather not have someone take it just to sell it straight on. I also don't want the additional hastle of postage etc.

Cliff

Distinguished Member
I doubt if there are any film clubs that would have a use for it. Usually these would go to private collectors who have films. With the advent of video, 16mm was one of the first casualties. 8mm continued to be used by the amateur enthusiasts and 35mm by cinemas. VHS quickly superseded 16mm in schools and universities and for general release films shown in remote areas ships, oil rigs and such like.

As a bit of an enthusiast myself, it is unfortunate that most of the print films have deteriorated; they usually go pink and the colours fade.
I used to be "chief projectionist" in a remote desert area and we used to receive new films by plane weekly. Usually three big reels in leather boxes and we laced them up on a Bell and Howell and projected on a huge screen. Many were anamorphic and a Sankor lens was screwed on the front to unstretch the image. Definition by todays standards was pretty blurry but at the time it was great. Lovely mono sound from a severely band limited optical sound track and a 10 watt amplifier... Ah memories.

Anyway, (out of nostalgia mode) I reckon you might get 50 quid!

Davek0974

eBay it, do it as a buyer collects bid sale, and you have no postage to worry about. If you're not worried about the cash start it at a low price like £5 and see where it goes.

Grae

Standard Member
Or you could give me the details please Jason if you have not already disposed if your projector.

I am searching for spares and a lamp for this model.

Grae

JoseMaria

Novice Member
At work we have found an Eiki Elf 16mm Sound Projector hidden away. I imagine it has only been used a handful of times but have no film to test it.
It will find its way to the rubbish tip if I don't find a home for it and am looking for some kind of film club around the heathrow area that may be interested in it.

I have no idea what it would be worth to someone or if it even works, but it looks to be in good condition. Does anyone have any idea on where to start, I tried a quick google but its not easy to find a home for this kind of thing. Maybe Freecycle would be my best bet?

Any suggestions welcome...
Do you still have the 16 mm projector? I´m really interested in it!

mikeybabes2

Distinguished Member
A wonderful object that should never end up in the skip.

I was a projectionist at a small single screen regional cinema in my youth, and I still like to imagine there is film moving through the gate whenever I go to a cinema. It's far too sad to think upon the reality of digital projection. It loses all the magic.

If you sell it rather than give it away on ebay it is far more likely that it will be bought by someone who will appreciate it.

Please don't dump it.

Grae

Standard Member
Jason, Contrary to Cliff's view there is a film club trying to start up in the new year at our local Social Hall and we do need the 16mm facility as well as digital. I have posted on this thread before and am still hopeful. We have a curtained stage and a cable wound track system ready to install, a 6' x 8' Fast fold screen with front and back surface and a Sanyo 'suitcase' sized digital projector.

We bought an Elf RM1 which was lacking replaceable parts and really could do with a second projector to synch with the first so that we can run two/three spooler features uninterrupted. What do we have to do to convince you there is a home waiting for your Eiki Elf? Would you consider allowing us to have your projector, on what terms and when would you like us to make arrangements to collect? Please contact...

jason7579

Very sorry for the delay in responding, hadn't received any notification of replies.

I believe one of my theatre techs was attempting to sell the projector in order to recoup some money to upgrade some of our analogue equipment. I'll see if he has had any luck and post back within the next couple of days.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom