Quantcast

Eighties films set in space

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
Wonder if you lot can help me? I am a big eighties freak and in the past have commissioned a couple of eighties related pictures which amalgamate the cast from many films into a larger picture.

The theme of one I am currently working on is a space diner and thus I am looking for films from the eighties where the characters went into space (or clearly came from space). The key is that the film or tv programme must be set in the eighties so something like Enemy Mine wouldn’t work. Star Trek is able to be in it as they went back to the eighties in Star Trek IV. Same for Red Dwarf as they went back to the eighties in the episode “Backwards”.

I need a few more characters to fill some gaps but I am stumped. Can anybody think of others which I have missed? And yes I know, I’m a super nerd.

Airplane II
ALF
Batteries not Included
Benji, Zax and the Alien Prince
Cocoon
Critters
E.T.
Earth Girls are Easy
Explorers
Flash Gordon
Flight of the Navigator
Howard the Duck
Red Dwarf
Space Camp
Star Trek IV
Starman
Superman
The Last Starfighter

Last edited:

Navvie

Technically that works but why would “The Thing” be in a space diner? I also think he would be a bit of a party pooper and breach several health and safety codes!
Sure, I wouldn't want to sit next to it either. Maybe Copper is there with no arms or there's a dog with tentacles or MacReady is testing a petri dish of blood?

Rambo John J

Distinguished Member
Technically that works but why would “The Thing” be in a space diner? I also think he would be a bit of a party pooper and breach several health and safety codes!
you could squeeze the head with the spiderlegs in under a table perhaps?

How about The Hidden from 1987?

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Mac and Me (1988)

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
you could squeeze the head with the spiderlegs in under a table perhaps?

How about The Hidden from 1987?
Only recently watched this for the first time, good film. Same problem with The Thing though, the monster would be hard to show.

Mac and Me (1988)
I watched this for the first time the other day via a suggestion from a now ex-friend. Took me copious amounts of alcohol to get through it!

Supergirl (1984)
Haven't watched that for a while, does she actually go into space?

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
Tricky one. Don't want to get pulled up by other nerds on a technicality!

He did the below for me a few years ago (eighties films set in NY) and people won't let me forget that Ghost and Gremlins 2 are 1990. Also that Gizmo would be quite dead!

Last edited:

meagabyte

Doctor who? that started before I was born :D
Also Space Balls if it hasn't been mentioned already

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
That's a good shout. I'm not a massive fan but need some "back of head" shots for some tables. Anyone confirm if there are any in to space episodes in the eighties?

Space Balls is set in a Galaxy far far far away.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
How did I forget Lifeforce! Never seen the other one though. Will check it out. Thanks.
You gonna have Mathilda May in the pic then? Might have to have her discreetly placed:p:smashin:

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
You gonna have Mathilda May in the pic then? Might have to have her discreetly placed:p:smashin:
I can't remember the film if I am honest so can't picture the characters. It's currently on Netflix so I will give it a spin tonight and report back tomorrow!