1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EICTA HD Specification

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by joker_zero, Mar 3, 2005.

1. joker_zero

joker_zero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    HD spec for EICTA from April edition of hifi mag:

Native Resolution of 720 physical lines in wide aspect ratio

Analogue AND Digital component inputs, the latter through HDCP compliant HDMI or DVI

HD inputs must support 1280 x 720 @ 50/60Hz Progressive(720p) AND 1920 x 1080 @ 50/60 Hz interlaced (1080i)

If it does not do the above then it is not HD compliant. no DVI or HDMI Sony - NOT HD compliant. Philips might get away with allowing analogue component through the DVI adapter.....

The full press release can be found here.

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    What do you mean by this? The Philips is fully compatible with HiDef TV via its HDCP DVI connection.

Jimmy

3. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Joker,
    You are right and you are wrong! It is really is not clear how to interpret the extract from the spec. I guess you need to look at the full spec to see if you need seperate analogue component and DVI/HDMI, have you done this?

4. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Slightly off topic, but there is currently on 3 plasma manufacturers that make a HD plasma at 720+ I think, not including the ALiS panels.

One of these is the Pioneer which is 1024x768. It has HDMI but because it wont be able to support the full 1280 wide, does this mean it's not a HDTV ?!

Richie.

5. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Read the specs (first article in this thread) again. Which spec is not met for it to be HDTV?

6. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Ah, from Jokers post I read "Supports 1280x720" as being able to display and not just being able to receive the signal.

Appologies.

Richie

7. joker_zero

joker_zero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Your right Jim - and if I buy anything it will be the 9986 as PQ and compatibility are all that matters - but it will be interesting to see if Philips are allowed to use the label, and how other manufacturers react having presented their units as HD Ready for some months only to see this come out effectively saying to the public that they are not.

Off topic a tad but the sad fact is that HDCP wont stop the pirates for long (it can be cracked, ergo it will be, albeit with a bit more effort than Macrovision), I am not condoning them for a moment - its because of their activity that we have to put up with this nonsense and pay more for our components, but its HDCP support that will disqualify a lot of models.

As you correctly point out Philips has everything, (but only if you count the Analogue component in via DVI adapter), needed to qualify.

I don’t have time to check specs right now but I cant think of any other unit that does this to the spec above, (except maybe the now limited availability Sharp GAnE series - of course I look forward to being corrected on this).

I would have expected a bit of a stink kicked up by the community against Sky's decision to insist on HDCP. I for one fell foul of this with the Optoma H50 projector - supports progressive scan - but not prog scan with Macrovision. Took me a year to get prog scan on my projector, and has left me cautious of being an early adopter in new technology.

Likewise why don’t the manufacturers point out the futility of all this, and show a little support for the customers who invested in their ‘HD Ready’ panels at full list price last Autumn.

Still though the 37PF9986 makes my credit card itch........

8. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, but it also says "support 1920x1080"...
    In fact the only spec is for the number of lines (720). Any horizontal resolution is OK.
    A panel of 720x720 (nonsquare pixels) would be passing as well.

Larger resolutions like 1920x1080 are downscaled anyway, except on the most expensive sets. This "HD" spec was probably mostly motivated by manufacturers and content suppliers, not for clarity for the consumer.

Most LCD panels are 1366x768. On those sets 1920x1080 is downscaled, and 1280x720 is either upscaled or displayed as-is (with black borders all around).

9. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    According to the new What Video mag, there are a few new JVC models out in the Spring including a 40" 1920x1080 res model, the LT-40DF7. :)

Steve