eh50 - firmware update for extlink

Thanks, docb: glad you share my amazement. I'll certainly e-mail the address you suggest - and we'll see what happens. Like g0pkh, I can't understand how a Customer Support department of a major consumer-products company can be so bad at actual customer support - and can have so little sense of the damage they do to their company's reputation. It's a real shame: apart from the faulty (and, if only they'd get their act together, easily corrected) firmware with which it has been supplied, the DMR-EH50 is very impressive. If only Panasonic's human components worked as well....

there is a new firmware update on the german panasonic website that enables the eh50 to play svcd's.

Nigelmurray

I suppose that is another firmware update that panasonic UK wont be aware of, or should i say Panasonic UK CS wont be aware of.

After reading back the thread, it still amazes me that pana CS have told people that there isnt an update, as it is a fault known to panasonic (i know this as when i spoke to AVsales re sending the unit back they had a disk in the post to me within days, albeit the wrong one, but we cant expect it to be right first time can we).

g0pkh

Have you received the disk yet?

Thanks

Doc

Hi doc

No i havent recieved the disc yet either.I dont understand why they dont just put it up on the website for download like the german site it would save all the problems.I wonder if anyone on here has tried the German firmware.

Doc.

Got the disc this morning. :thumbsup:
Many Thanks.

I will look at the file structure now, and create an ISO Image. Then we just need someone to host it on the Internet for us all.

Pete

g0pkh said:
Doc.

Got the disc this morning. :thumbsup:
Many Thanks.

I will look at the file structure now, and create an ISO Image. Then we just need someone to host it on the Internet for us all.

Pete
Maybe you could email Panny CS UK and ask them to host the file for you. :rotfl: Sorry, I've been reading this thread with interest and can totally sympathise with other posters regarding Panasonic UK Customer Services, or lack of more accurately. I had dealings with them last year when I bought my Panny TV and the CS dept couldn't understand why I was upset when they expected me to wait in excess of 2 months for the relevant desktop stand to be delivered. :mad: I am afraid that while Panasonic make great A/V equipment their CS dept are about as much use as a chocolate teapot. :thumbsdow

Seriously, maybe someone should post them a link to this very thread. It may not help but you might feel better for doing it.

S.

Hi.

Yes I had thought about asking Panasonic to host it, :eek:

Totally agree, the EH50 is a superb bit of kit, just a pity that CS are totally useless.

Out of interest, have any of you been following this thread.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216226

It seems that panasonic are now also able to remotely trash our equipment.

On the subject of the firmware disc.
It just contains 1 file PANADVD.FRM, and is just over 7Mb in size.

following the instructions on the using the German file
Ie simply burning the file onto cd and putting it into the machine would work equally well in this case.

I have checked the file size and timestamp with the german one, and I can confirm that they ARE different. However as you would expect I can do nothing with the file itself.

I could zip it up and email it if anyone needs it, although I would rather it could be hosted somewhere.

Pete

OK for the Uploader

Go to : http://rapidshare.de/

In the upload box towards the top of the screen, click the browse link, and select the ISO file.

Click upload. (And wait for a while, I imagine 7meg iso file will be about 15mins wait on a normal broadband connection.)

WHEN THE FILE HAS UPLOADED AND THE PAGE REFRESHES - SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM!!

You'll see a Download link and a delete link.

Copy the Download link and post it here in the forums for us to get!

Thankyou!

For the Downloaders

Wait until we have the download link posted here:

When the page opens scroll to the bottom
Click "FREE"
Scroll to the bottom. And download.

Hope this all helps everyone.

Little bit of bad luck, the rapid share host computer appears to be down at the moment! I'm sure it will be fixed in an hour or so.

Anyway thanks for the upload. I'll get it tomorrow morning.

It hasn't gone down, the problem is it sees the IP address of the proxy cache you're sitting behind and thinks you've downloaded the file loads of times already

The solution is to change your proxy, instructions here

I picked a new one from the list of that site and got the file no problem.

Well just tried it an hour ago, with no change to my setup and worked straight away.

I wasn't even getting any response from their servers earlier...a minor glitch. All sorted now.

Fair enough but for anybody getting a message saying they're already downloading the file the above advice stands.

Glad the download works OK guys.

Just to let you all know, I ran the upgrade disk on my own machine last night, with no ill effects.

It took a worrying length of time, with lots of upgrade messages displayed.
After about 5 minutes it spat the disk out, I put it in standby, powered it back on. It displayed "Hello" for about 30 secs then "Bye". :rolleyes:

Again out of standby, the clock did a quick reset, and after that all was well.
No other settings, were lost.

No further probs.

I think I can at last put this to bed,and get on with enjoying the machine. :clap:

Thanks especially to Doc for supplying the disk.

Pete

Pete

My machine did exactly the same with the powere on and then off, I was very concerned at the time.

Pleased it is working on other machines.

So are we going after the next firmware the Germans have???

Doc

docb said:
Pete

My machine did exactly the same with the powere on and then off, I was very concerned at the time.

Pleased it is working on other machines.

So are we going after the next firmware the Germans have???

Doc

It would be nice to get SVCD support :)

BTW, what is the version number of this EH50 firmware?

SimonMallion said:
It would be nice to get SVCD support :)

BTW, what is the version number of this EH50 firmware?

If only I knew how to find out...

As I said before, we need someone with the service manual to tell us how to get into the service menu.

Anyone ? :lease:

Pete

As I said before, we need someone with the service manual to tell us how to get into the service menu.
The following link gives some of the service commands for the US version of the E85: http://www.dxcc.com/dmr-e85h.htm

It's possible that the commands work on other models too, but if you try them, you do it at your own risk!

Gave up trying to download the UK Firmware from the link - it would download very quickly but when I tried to open it or burn it I would get an error message saying the file was corrupt.

Subsequently downloaded the German Firmware - installed ok - no adverse effects and will play SVCD I made with Nero earlier. Don't know yet if the ext link problem has gone away!

No problems with external link since installed german update. Fingers crossed its fixed!

Thanks for the info SteveDD

I too have had success with the upgrade. This machine is now the favourite at home because of it quick start.
norfred

docb said:
Well the disk arrived and updated as it should have in the first place.

I have not had any problems with the extlink since the upgrade.

The disk was sent to me by by panasonic technical department, not CS. An email received from them stated

"Sorry, there seem to be a problem with the firm ware upgrade that was sent out. The factory have uploaded a new version yesterday and I have put a copy in the post now. "

This email was sent direct from [email protected]

Still no way of telling what the latest firmware is, if anyone knows how to check the machine for the No. i will gladly post it on here.
If the factory have a firmware upgrade i cant quite understand why it is not being made available for all owners.

Doc

I e-mailed [email protected] about the ext link fault on my ES10, I received the upgrade CD today, the enclosed letter says return the disc to the enclosed address, but there is no address on the letter. Do you know the address to return the disc to? Have you got the link to the firmware upgrade from the German website?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom