eh50 - firmware update for extlink

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by docb, May 28, 2005.

1. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello All

I received a disk from panasonic today, which was sent to me by panasonic CS, (or that is where the comp slip address showed) which was meant to be the firmware upgrade to clear the extlink problem some people are having with the extlink.

I opened the box and eagerly put it in the machine. Only instruction being put it in, it will run, then the tray will open when the upgrade has completed (This was on the comp slip). So in it went, and nothing, just a message that said "unsupport". :mad:

Can anyone shed any light on this message? :lease:

Thanks

Doc

PS there was no name etc on the comp slip, and no Firmware No. on disc or comp slip. All very claok and dagger. :nono:

2. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "unsupport" message means wrong firmware or unit has same firmware as upgrade ! :thumbsdow

3. g0pkh

g0pkh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Docb.

Why am I not surprised :rolleyes: .

It seems par for the course these days, I think your problem lies in the utter incompetance of Panasonic CS. They probably never even bothered to test it before sending. :suicide:.

Perhaps the disc was tested by the same individual that tested the original firmware in the first place. Why oh why do we have to put up with such appalling service in this country.

I guess this leaves you with no choice now but to return the machine.

Bad luck, please keep us informed.

Pete

4. MiniRoll

MiniRoll
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Doc

That is rubbish. When I phoned Panasonic last week they denied all knowledge of this problem I bet if you phone them and say explain your problem, they will deny sending it to you.

I'm rapidly losing faith in the EH50. I think I'll try and get my money back and wait for the EH60.

5. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well after letting AV-sales know about the "unsupport" disk, they contacted panasonic.

Panasonic are now sending me a second disc to update the firmware.

This second disk is coming from Panasonic technical apparently.

I am not holding my breath.....

I will keep you informed on the progress

Doc

6. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well the disk arrived and updated as it should have in the first place.

I have not had any problems with the extlink since the upgrade.

The disk was sent to me by by panasonic technical department, not CS. An email received from them stated

"Sorry, there seem to be a problem with the firm ware upgrade that was sent out. The factory have uploaded a new version yesterday and I have put a copy in the post now. "

This email was sent direct from AV.technical@panasonic.co.uk

Still no way of telling what the latest firmware is, if anyone knows how to check the machine for the No. i will gladly post it on here.
    If the factory have a firmware upgrade i cant quite understand why it is not being made available for all owners.

Doc

7. g0pkh

g0pkh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Docb

Glad it did the job for you. Any chance of a copy ?, or do you know where it can downloaded from.

Pete

8. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello g0pkh

Can it be copied? Will it work again if i sent you the disk?

No idea if it can be downloaded, i expect not seeing as Panasonic had to send it to me.

Doc

9. g0pkh

g0pkh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Docb.

It will probably just be a file on a disk which can be used over and over.
    If you put the disk in your PC's CD rom drive you should be able to see the file structure, and the file(s) themselves. If you don't mind sending me the disk however, I could copy and return it (address via PM of course).

If only we could find the service menu access to tell us the firmware version as well. We need someone with the service manual.

Kind regards

Pete

10. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Pete

Just tried the original disk, (the one with the error message, only one i have at work) and i could email tomorrow.

Would that be OK?

Failing that PM me your address and i will send the disk on.

Doc

11. Van Cortlandt

Van Cortlandt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pete, Hi Doc

I have much the same unpredictable ext-link issue with my new EH-50, so I've been intrigued (and depressed...) by this thread (and the others). When I heard that you (Doc) were getting a disk, I gave Panasonic CS full details of my problem and asked if I could have an update disk too. But I was simply told - only on 2 June - that they couldn't help and that I'd have to return my unit to the vendor so that it could be repaired if necessary. Grrrrr. So, if the vital disk is being forwarded around or if the files can be successfully copied, I'd be hugely grateful if you were willing to include me in the distribution. Obviously, I'd happily cover any costs.

Regards,
    Christopher

12. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello Van

This could end up as being quite a chain of people after this disk.
    If we made it a type of chain letter, i could be quite well off after a bit.......
    So if everyone who receives it sends me £1.......

Only joking. If i send it to g0pkh, i will have no further use for it, not too bothered if i dont get it back.

Doc

13. Van Cortlandt

Van Cortlandt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Doc

Of course you want it back - you'll be able to sell it to Panasonic CS once we've all finished with it. Meanwhile, I'll PM my address to g0pkh. Hope it all works out - and thank you.

Christopher

14. g0pkh

g0pkh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Doc.

Thanks for your reply.

I have PM'd you my address and email details.
    If the file structure is that simple then simply emailling the file and an idea of the directory structure would be sufficient.

I would then be willing to send it on to another afterwards.
    Maybe even attaching it to this thread would be a possibility.

Regards Pete

15. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    We wont be contravening any copyright here will we?
    Just a little thought in the back of my mind that is all.

I dont really know what you mean about directory structure, but will try the email route first.

Doc

16. Van Cortlandt

Van Cortlandt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Doc

I'm no lawyer, but ... to judge from comments posted on this website, it looks as though Panasonic may have launched a new product which sometimes has a firmware fault. It seems to me that they have effectively admitted to some customers (e.g. you, and anyone who discovers that there's updated firmware on offer on the Panasonic Germany website) that there is a problem and that it can be easily fixed. But other customers (e.g. me) with the same problem have had a much less helpful response from Panasonic and have effectively been told that they have to send their brand-new units away to be investigated. Since it's common practice for companies (incl. Panasonic Germany) to make firmware updates freely available, since such an update has just been supplied directly to you free of charge, and since the update apparently fixes the fault, I find it fairly hard to imagine there's a copyright issue. And since Panasonic UK seems to have been selling a product with a fault, and hasn't been hugely consumer-friendly about putting it right, I can't personally see a judge sending you down if you do try to help fellow customers out for free. But that's all IMHO, of course.

17. g0pkh

g0pkh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would tend to agree, regarding the copyright issue, I think we have nothing to worry about at all here.
    Remember that in this case, there is no other use at all for the information on the disc.
    It can only be loaded onto the equipment for which it is designed,
    the DMR-EH50 DVD Recorder, it cannot be used anywhere else at all.

Doc
    By directory structure, I mean the way the file is stored on the disc.

Think of your C: drive as the top level, and then C:\windows as a directory below that.
    When you looked at the CD where was the file stored, it may have just been at the very top however.

Regards
    Pete

18. pilotsnipes

pilotsnipes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    docb - How about you make an ISO - a digital duplicate of the CD. (please excuse me if I'm teaching granny to sucks eggs here as I don't know how much you know.....if I sound condesending ignore me).

Get this program:
    WinISO

from http://www.winiso.com/download.htm

As long as the firmware on that CD you have isn't greater than 100mb, you'll be able to create an ISO image file. Once you've done that you can upload/email/host the ISO file on the internet - and all of us will be greatfull! ( http://rapidshare.de/ is very good for hosting your file for free.)

If you need more detailed instructions, let me know!

19. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello Pilotsnipes

I have already posted the disk to g0pkh, so if he would like to do it then fine.

Dont worry about the computer info, i know very little about the things other than switch on, and then work on all the usual MS programs. I have never felt the need to get that involved with them.

Thanks anyway

Doc

20. g0pkh

g0pkh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Doc.

Many thanks for posting the disc, this is much appreciated.

Pilotsnipes. I will be more than happy to create an ISO image of the disc, and then get it hosted on the Internet, I will need more info on how to do this though.

I will contact again when I have created the image.

As you say, there are lots of people who will benefit from this.

Pete

21. g0pkh

g0pkh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

What I meant to say was, I know how to create the ISO Image, I will need more info on how to get the file hosted though. :)

Pete

22. James Fisher

James Fisher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been contacted by Panasonic (after initially being fobbed off).
    They say they will be sending me a disk, but I must return it to them promptly(??)
    What the hell is that about?

23. SimonMallion

SimonMallion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know much about BitTorrent?

I can help seed the file, if you would like to send me a copy?

24. g0pkh

g0pkh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It seems to me that even though the firmware bug is quite well known now, particularly around the dealers. Panasonic UK are still intent on keeping this quiet.
    Why they just do not come clean and publish the firmware on their website like Panasonic Germany have, beats me.

Typical british company attitude "Stuff the Customer, he can just send it back at his own expense", appologies if this sounds very negative, but I am utterly p*****d off at the disgusting levels of Customer Service we get from these manufacturers in the UK. :mad:

Pete

25. Van Cortlandt

Van Cortlandt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couldn't agree more, Pete. Since some people have now managed to extract a firmware update disk, I went back to Panasonic CS today and asked if I could please be treated the same way. I had previously made the point about Panasonic Germany making the upgrade available on their website. Here's what I've just received in response:

Thank you for your further email. I am sorry to learn of the circumstances, which have prompted you to write, and can appreciate your concern.
    In response, I would explain that Panasonic is not able to accede to your request for a Firmware upgrade, as we do not have the provision to provide these directly.
    However, I would also stress that there is not an inherent defect with this model and there is therefore no reason why the problem that you are experiencing cannot be remedied by a qualified engineer. I would recommend that you provide the authorised service agent covering your area the opportunity to carry out an investigation, as suggested. If they then experience any difficulties, they can contact our own dedicated technical support department for assistance.​

So, even though some customers have been sent disks by Panasonic, Panasonic aren't able to send such disks out. And, rather than solve a problem (not an inherent defect, of course) with an easy upgrade disk, Panasonic UK sees nothing wrong with telling its already-disappointed customers to send their machines away for an unknown period to be repaired. And to think that I was about to order a Panasonic LCD TV....

26. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  27. Van Cortlandt

Van Cortlandt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, docb: glad you share my amazement. I'll certainly e-mail the address you suggest - and we'll see what happens. Like g0pkh, I can't understand how a Customer Support department of a major consumer-products company can be so bad at actual customer support - and can have so little sense of the damage they do to their company's reputation. It's a real shame: apart from the faulty (and, if only they'd get their act together, easily corrected) firmware with which it has been supplied, the DMR-EH50 is very impressive. If only Panasonic's human components worked as well....

28. nigelmurray

nigelmurray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there is a new firmware update on the german panasonic website that enables the eh50 to play svcd's.

29. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nigelmurray

I suppose that is another firmware update that panasonic UK wont be aware of, or should i say Panasonic UK CS wont be aware of.

After reading back the thread, it still amazes me that pana CS have told people that there isnt an update, as it is a fault known to panasonic (i know this as when i spoke to AVsales re sending the unit back they had a disk in the post to me within days, albeit the wrong one, but we cant expect it to be right first time can we).

g0pkh

Have you received the disk yet?

Thanks

Doc

30. nigelmurray

nigelmurray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi doc

No i havent recieved the disc yet either.I dont understand why they dont just put it up on the website for download like the german site it would save all the problems.I wonder if anyone on here has tried the German firmware.