eh50 copying, region issues???

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by withjet, Jul 8, 2005.

1. withjet

withjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a friend who is, as I write this thread asking me if I can copy a region1 1950s film to the HDD of the eh50 and then make a new copy for him that will play on a region2 player. I know I may sound like a bit of a muppet asking this, but since I have owned the eh50, I have only used the HDD to record TV programmes. (incredibly easy and convenient) So I have no knowledge on recording to discs as yet.
    Any replies are very much appreciated.

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    The short answer is I don't think you can help your friend.

Any disc you create will be region free, so that isn't the problem. Assuming your EH50 has been modified to be multi-region (if not, it won't even play the disc), issues are:

1. Likely the disc will be copyrighted with copy protection, so you won't be able to copy it.
    2. Likely it will be NTSC. While the EH50 will play NTSC, and it will record NTSC (given an NTSC input), if it plays a NTSC disc it will output PAL60; I don't think the EH50 will record PAL60.

Mark

3. withjet

withjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response Mark.
    As I said I've not copied anything to disc with the eh50 before, but when he brought the disc I noticed that it would not copy (which is fair enough i suppose) The issue is that he uses a region2 player, and he was only able to get this dvd in region1. It is a very old film, though whether that makes any difference I really don't know. I guess he's stuffed eh?

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    As far as using the EH50, I think so.
    Does he know if the player can be "hacked" to be multi-region? Many players can be. A good source for this is http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

On a PC the disc could be re-authored, but you'd need the right software, and if the disc is copy protected you'd need software that can't be discussed here.

Mark