EH50 can i do this ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by davee b, Oct 27, 2005.

1. davee b

davee b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Guys, hope someone with a recent panny hdd/dvd recorder can answer this for me. I've downloaded the EH50 manual but i'm still slightly confused :rolleyes:

i want to be able to record entire music programmes and edit out particular tracks that i like. Then i want to build a list of the tracks i want (is this what is meant by a playlist) and burn them to dvd as individual titles so that i can skip to the start of a specific title that i want (a la music cd). so is this possible ?

my second question is regarding high speed dubbing. To enable this the setting has to be ON prior to recording to the hdd. presumably there must be a downside to this setting being on or there wouldnt be an option to turn it off. Anyone know if/what the downside is......i seem to remember a thread about only getting 4:3 copies from 16:9 but i believe this happens with dvd-r recordings whatever the settings are.

thanks for any help on this one :)

2. MattDX

MattDX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    with regards to the first point you would:

Record the whole music program.
    Slice out all the tracks you want.
    You now have 2 choices.
    Build a menu with each track being a menu choice - you then pick the song you want from the menu.
    Join all the songs into one long film and add chapters.

With regards to your second point. You are right about only getting 4:3 copies this way but in this mode the recorded also doesn't record any additional soundtracks - although I've never know a multi soundtrack programme broadcast on TV!

Hope this helps.

3. davee b

davee b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK thanks for the ideas Matt. I really want each musical track as a separate .vob file (title) on the final dvd-r copy. Would the menu method you mentioned give me this. Putting chapters at the end of each song would leave me with one long title which would be ok to watch but not too good if i wanted to extract certain tracks on the pc. :rolleyes:

4. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding the high speed dubbing question and answer above: it's also worth pointing out that these limitations, and the necessity to preselect the mode compatible with high speed dubbing before recording originally to the HDD, ONLY refer to dubbing to DVD-R, -RW, (and maybe +R - my manual's at home!). There are no such limitations for high speed dubbing to DVD-RAM; it preserves all features of the original recording, which can be done in the normal way in the first place. If the DVDs are for your own use (or anyone with another Panasonic, a Toshiba recorder, a JVC recorder, or a Panasonic player or one of the other recorders that will PLAY DVD-RAM even though they can't record it - I heard there are some) there's not much against using DVD-RAM, which is more robust than the typical -RW or +RW disc as well.

5. davee b

davee b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Helen. I do have a ram compatible dvd player as well and will be using ram discs for some recordings. My main project tho' is cherry picking individual music video tracks from music programmes off the hd and making compilations to copy to dvd-r to play on any dvd player and then downloading the vob files to pc to further mix n' match (with dvd shrink), hence my obsession with having the tracks as individual files rather then one long title. :)

6. davee b

davee b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just to add that i looked in the manual regarding splitting a title. it says you can split a title but can you carve it into e.g. 20 separate titles, discard 10 then burn the 10 you want to dvd-r. (to result in 10 separate titles on the dvd) :confused: