eGreat EG-M31A Network Media Tank

trotsky10

Novice Member
Hot on the heels of the Popcorn hour and Istar HD is the new eGreat EG-M31A

You can find the review and details here:

http://www.mpcclub.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=540

I have ordered it in the end instead of the Popcorn hour as it ended up being cheaper with the deal in mpcclub. Also it has more internal memory (debatable if it makes a difference but can't harm) and has an internal SATA connection and can be used as a USB slave to plug in to a PC and copy files (If using Ext2/3 drivers for PC or hard disk is NTFS(then can't put NMT apps on internal drive but I believe there is a way of having the apps run from a USB stick)

I already have a 1Tb external SATA (Icy Box cover with Samsung Spinpoint internal drive) which is NTFS and am backing up all my films onto it at the moment and have also written basic html menus with cover art to look through my content. Should be ready to go when it arrives first week of May:D

chris57

Novice Member
Please let us know how you find the unit when you get it.

trotsky10

Novice Member
My egreat NMT arrived today.

I am very impressed with it out of the box. It has played everything I have thrown at is from my external hard drive. I have a Samsung 1tb spinpoint in an icy box external casing which is fanless.

I disconnected the fan in the eGreat. Although it was not too noisy I want as little noise as possible. this did make it run a bit hotter but putting it on it's side keeps it very cool. It is pretty small so still fits easily in my cabinet on it's side. I may take a pic at some point.

I have also connected it to my squeezebox via a crossover ethernet cable and am using the squeezebox as a wireless bridge to the internet and my home network.

I also connected it via optical lead to my Beresford DAC for audio.

Files I have run from my external drive:

ISO DVD image
VIDEO_TS DVD files
m2ts files from my Canon HF100 HD camcorder
ts HD files
mp4 windows HD files
xvid files

I also added my photo folder on my dektop in the attic as a network share and it streamed the photos fine.

I installed myihome on my desktop but haven't figured out how to talk to it via the eGreat yet. I am not so worried as from the out of the box menus everything works fine. I will get there.

Also tried making custom html index pages with cover art but it is not playing iso or video_ts yet or iso images. It played an xvid from the html. I just have to have a play.

Anyway bit thumbs up from me.

Wish the documentation was better for settig things up but that is a minor gripe. :)

rane

Standard Member
Sounds really nice trotsky. Have you installed an internal hdd in the eGreat and if, is it ntfs or ext2/3?

Im curious about the NMT apps running off the USB-stick. Is it really possible or is it just theory so far?

bdlab

Standard Member
Sounds really nice trotsky. Have you installed an internal hdd in the eGreat and if, is it ntfs or ext2/3?

Im curious about the NMT apps running off the USB-stick. Is it really possible or is it just theory so far?
Yes, the NMT apps (ftp, nfs ...) can be executed from an EXT3 or FAT32 formatted USB stick. Telnet access must be enabled to install the required links.

BDLAB

trotsky10

Novice Member
Yes, the NMT apps (ftp, nfs ...) can be executed from an EXT3 or FAT32 formatted USB stick. Telnet access must be enabled to install the required links.

BDLAB

I have to say though that I haven't managed to find the time to try yet :-(

YouTube etc in the Media Service portal seem to work now.

I intially had my 1Tb NTFS external SATA drive (with additional USB connector) attached via the front USB but I have now put it inside the eGreat and reconnected the fan as it is already full with my DVD's (New one ordered :D). I find the fan is ok not too loud (of course you can hear it in the silence), it is quieter than my samsung cable PVR.

I am also using myihome successfully for all my photos (love it :smashin:) which are on the computer in the attic. I have wireless G and it seems ok with xvid/divx but for DVD's or higher it is no good for streaming video.

I won't be using torrents so am not too worried about the apps myself and find the USB slave facility more useful. (Not mutually exclusive as you could create 2 partitions 1 ext3 and the other NTFS)

Lexfordparc

Standard Member
Any chance of a review? Like the look of this device for streaming to the bedrooms.

Have you had an issues with video formats? Happy with overall output in SD and HD?

Thanks,

Paul

trotsky10

Novice Member
Any chance of a review? Like the look of this device for streaming to the bedrooms.

Have you had an issues with video formats? Happy with overall output in SD and HD?

Thanks,

Paul

I have to say I am very happy with the output SD and HD.

SD looks better than my Samsung 1080p upscaling DVD player so I have no complaints there (I have the eGreat set to 1080p 25fps)

HD - All I can say is wow! At the moment I have tried the formats mentioned at the beginning of the thread which includes m2ts from my Canon Full HD camcorder, ts files from hdtv 720p, wmv (VC-1) files from hdtv 720p, m2ts 1080i from hdtv (Planet Earth I compared with my SD DVD versions and it is better). I have a few Blue ray and HDDVD rips (1080p) now but need to wait until my new 1Tb drive arrives as the first one is full of my SD DVD's (I have a lot of DVD's). It arrives tomorrow so will comment on it then.

The xvids I have played obviously don't look as good as DVD but some are not far off on my Samsung 40M87BD Full HD television. They look far better than they did playing from the Samsung DVD player. Also subtitles from .srt files worked fine with them.

As mentioned regarding streaming, I stream xvid files (via bridged wireless G) and they stream fine but it was no go with anything higher quality.

I have had it sometimes (though not often) having a funny 30 secs where it may lose sound and start fast forwarding on it's own but a quick rewind and play seemed to immediately correct it. This was with DVD rips.

Lexfordparc

Standard Member
Thanks trotsky. Looks like a nice device, bit better in construction than the PHA but not as expensive as the Tvix. Wonder if I can get sign-off after next months pay-day :smashin:

dembi_2000

Standard Member
Where can I buy the EG-M31A from Egreat. I tried buying directly from Egreat but they pointed me to there resellers that just tries to sell me other players other than the ED-M31A.

BTW, I'm is Australia.

Thanks

trotsky10

Novice Member
Just an update on hi-def playback.

I have now watched a number of hi def movies in a number of formats:

720p

All 720p files I have watched have been fine whether in mkv container or as .wmv or .ts etc

1080p

mkv -

I have had a number of problems with downloads from usenet. All of the one's I have had problems with have been DTS versions and Level 5.1 with heigh ref frames. after looking around on forums it seems these problems are well documented especially regarding the popcorn hour. I believe all syabas NMT units officially support Level 4.1 and not DTS

after being frustrated (especially when converting DTS to AC3 and remuxing to ts didn't work) I managed to calm down and just stayed clear of any with only DTS and level 5.1 with high ref frames.

ts -

I have managed to convert blu ray discs ripped to the hard drive saved as ts. I have Beowulf in 1080p and it is great :)

So I guess the conclusion is that with HD it is a little hit and miss and you need to use tools mentioned in the forums over at www.networkedmediatank.com and also check any samples to see how they are encoded (I use avinaptic )

I now have 2.5 Tb of content spread over internal drive, external drive and network (used it for playing xvid and photos)

I am still a happy bunny :D

Jack_6428

Standard Member
Just an update on hi-def playback.

I have now watched a number of hi def movies in a number of formats:

720p

All 720p files I have watched have been fine whether in mkv container or as .wmv or .ts etc

1080p

mkv -

I have had a number of problems with downloads from usenet. All of the one's I have had problems with have been DTS versions and Level 5.1 with heigh ref frames. after looking around on forums it seems these problems are well documented especially regarding the popcorn hour. I believe all syabas NMT units officially support Level 4.1 and not DTS

after being frustrated (especially when converting DTS to AC3 and remuxing to ts didn't work) I managed to calm down and just stayed clear of any with only DTS and level 5.1 with high ref frames.

ts -

I have managed to convert blu ray discs ripped to the hard drive saved as ts. I have Beowulf in 1080p and it is great :)

So I guess the conclusion is that with HD it is a little hit and miss and you need to use tools mentioned in the forums over at www.networkedmediatank.com and also check any samples to see how they are encoded (I use avinaptic )

I now have 2.5 Tb of content spread over internal drive, external drive and network (used it for playing xvid and photos)

I am still a happy bunny :D
hi, thanks all your news..i am thinking about buying this device...i would get the HDD version and format it to NTFS and use as another HDD.

With HD files...I have my 750gb hdd full of
720p and 1080p files..so, here are my Questions before i buy:

1) how does it play 720p divx/xvid .avi ?
2) how does it play 720p .mkv ?
3) how does it play 1080p .mkv ?

All with AC-3 sound..5.1 ?

thanks...And how is YouTube on this ? Watchable or just fancy stuff ?

trotsky10

Novice Member
hi, thanks all your news..i am thinking about buying this device...i would get the HDD version and format it to NTFS and use as another HDD.

With HD files...I have my 750gb hdd full of
720p and 1080p files..so, here are my Questions before i buy:

1) how does it play 720p divx/xvid .avi ?
2) how does it play 720p .mkv ?
3) how does it play 1080p .mkv ?

All with AC-3 sound..5.1 ?

thanks...And how is YouTube on this ? Watchable or just fancy stuff ?
Hi,

1) divx/xvid - I find it fantastic for this - I had a samsung 1080p7 DVD player that was terrible compared to this. I stream them.
2) 720p .mkv - Again this is great. I have many movies in 720p
3) 1080p mkv - Also great - currently have Beowulf and The Day after tomorrow in 1080p and they are great.

2) and 3) If it works it is great. Syabas only support level 4.1 and non DTS. I have a few level 5.1 that work but they are all between 4 and 8 ref frames (can check this with a program called avinaptic). Also I have converted some DTS mkv using the audioconverter program found on the forums on www.networkedmediatank.com site it convert DTS to AC3. Afterwhich they also worked with the proviso on the level and ref frames.

So I would recommend checking out your mkv films with avinaptic to see if any look like they may not work.

Jack_6428

Standard Member
Hi,

1) divx/xvid - I find it fantastic for this - I had a samsung 1080p7 DVD player that was terrible compared to this. I stream them.
2) 720p .mkv - Again this is great. I have many movies in 720p
3) 1080p mkv - Also great - currently have Beowulf and The Day after tomorrow in 1080p and they are great.

2) and 3) If it works it is great. Syabas only support level 4.1 and non DTS. I have a few level 5.1 that work but they are all between 4 and 8 ref frames (can check this with a program called avinaptic). Also I have converted some DTS mkv using the audioconverter program found on the forums on www.networkedmediatank.com site it convert DTS to AC3. Afterwhich they also worked with the proviso on the level and ref frames.

So I would recommend checking out your mkv films with avinaptic to see if any look like they may not work.
I see...so 720p divx rips are no problem, great news :)
As for the .mkv rips..i guess i will have to get just certain releases if i dont want to convert the audio...although, i wont be streaming anything..ill format the disc to NTFS and hook up the files via USB...plus, i always get only AC3 versions and my tv is 1080p.. :) I have ordered it..and hopefully next week ill get it...Its really better than blu-ray and cheap

mandm

Novice Member
Anyone has further update on this, as i would like to buy this unit, it certainly looks good on paper and from what i have read in this thread it certainly warrant a go!
appreciate your help!
cheers

AVN

Standard Member
Just wondering:
1)Does it need to have the inside HDD to run or can I just have an external HDD plugged in and run everything off it?
2)This NMT doesn't have any DVD drive, so can the USB slave port be used to plug an external DVD drive in it?

I really need to know this, thx.

mandm

Novice Member
Just wondering:
1)Does it need to have the inside HDD to run or can I just have an external HDD plugged in and run everything off it?
2)This NMT doesn't have any DVD drive, so can the USB slave port be used to plug an external DVD drive in it?

I really need to know this, thx.
I have not got the unit but bit of searching tells me that you can have the HD insdie the unit or you can use external HDD/NAS and run everything off it.

I am not so sure about attaching external DVD drive though :rolleyes:
cheers

chris57

Novice Member
It doesnt have to be USB slave to run a DVD drive all NMT devices can run one from their USB ports. You can have an external HD connected via USB. If you have an internal HDD and USB HDD you can even share the contents of the external HDD across all of your network.

mandm

Novice Member
i'm not sure if i understood your response, but from what i can understand that you can connect a DVD Drive and it will be seen as if it was a hard drive but this will/should not allow u to play play commercial DVDs from the attached device as it would not know how to to decode DVD!
Let me know if i got it wrong though.
cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: Which Next-Gen Console is Best?
  • By Rik Henderson
  • Published
Black Friday 2020: Best UK deals currently available
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Top Bottom