Egreat A10 Android Media Player Review & Comments

Last edited:
These type of boxes are getting more intrest now more so .
And going for the proffesional side of things is only a good thing .
Lets wait and see which manufacture gets the first Dolby Vision License.

With picture performance close to or on par with an oppo at half the price without the 4K drive built in .

Bang on time with the review, I just took delivery of one these this week. I'm delighted with Zappiti as my main player but the Egreat has one key feature that means a lot to me. That is a display on the front that you can additionally use to show time remaining on a file, as opposed to just elapsed ala high end bluray players.

First overall impression is that it is not as polished as the Zap but it had no problem with the 1080p clips I tried last night including passthrough of Atmos etc... The scraper does not seem as functional.

Given that the base A5 model is £100 cheaper than the Zap at this time, looks on the face of it to be superb value.

I am in the process of setting my A5 up and been looking at your review.which I am relived it gets a good report but there is one bit I do not understand when you say let the TV do the scaling rather than the player This is what you said ( And there is almost no doubt that if you own a 4K TV from a major manufacturer, it's scaling of sub UHD-content will be superior to that of the A10, so we would advise setting output accordingly. It's a bit of a chore but pays dividends in terms of picture) so which picture out put do I set it on the player please.Thanks

I am in the process of setting my A5 up and been looking at your review.which I am relived it gets a good report but there is one bit I do not understand when you say let the TV do the scaling rather than the player This is what you said ( And there is almost no doubt that if you own a 4K TV from a major manufacturer, it's scaling of sub UHD-content will be superior to that of the A10, so we would advise setting output accordingly. It's a bit of a chore but pays dividends in terms of picture) so which picture out put do I set it on the player please.Thanks
It just means set the egeat to 1080p...so that tv will display the content to 4k via its chip!! That is better than any media player

If this box gets the DV update..it will be amazing... fingers crossed

It just means set the egeat to 1080p...so that tv will display the content to 4k via its chip!! That is better than any media player
Thank you mate I am so looking forward to setting this up as you can see I am very new to this I might need help but at the moment I have just fished packing as I am of to KL in Malaysia until November Work,Work I meant to be RETIRED! Catching my flight @23.30 7 hour flight to Dubai then a other 7hr flight to Kl it will be 0.730 then You guys have a great week end.:hiya::clap:

Ive had the A5 for a week now and think its much better than my Zidoo x9s and Himedia Q5pro only problem Im having and didnt have with the others is I cannot get the SEARCH NETWORK SHARE option working (just get spinning circle logo),can only connect to my nas shares by manually adding the server info.This is with a Gen8 and an Asustor Nas.Ive tried everything and Ive put it down to a software bug on the Egreat.
Spent hours on it

Sooner than later there will be a shoot out which has the best chipset for Picture Quality and sound Quality
Amongst all these boxes .

As there replacing Blu ray drives by the thousands now .

@UdoG 4k is....4k no upscaling is DONE...PQ is the same, hence it was said in the review !

@DracUK yes there is a bug in lastest FW that prevents some users to autosearch....dunno why; but the nice thing about egreatis that when a problem occurs there is always a workaround like in your case add manually; of if problem on video player...there is VIDON !

@DELUCAS from my numerous lectures...this Hisilicon soc is the best in PQ...by a small margin vs RTD1295...
the big advantage is imprex engine...that will also be usable in Android 7 for 4k...! it was not possible until now...

@UdoG 4k is....4k no upscaling is DONE...PQ is the same, hence it was said in the review !

@DracUK yes there is a bug in lastest FW that prevents some users to autosearch....dunno why; but the nice thing about egreatis that when a problem occurs there is always a workaround like in your case add manually; of if problem on video player...there is VIDON !

@DELUCAS from my numerous lectures...this Hisilicon soc is the best in PQ...by a small margin vs RTD1295...
the big advantage is imprex engine...that will also be usable in Android 7 for 4k...! it was not possible until now...

Ive gone from Nvidia shield never happy with picture on that one
And now recently the Zidoo X10 to me and my screen the picture is a lot better .

How much better increase using the E great ?
Be great to see a shoot out test as such comparing these boxes for picture quality .
But there all useless as such if they dont have full software support and regular updates .

It seems the top four are :

1 E Great
2 zidoo X 10 etc
3 Zappiti
4 Hi Media
Some sharing the same chipset it seems .

When I set output to 1080p - what is the consequence in case of a 4K movie? Downscaling to 1080p or not? Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the 4K movie will sent in 1080p to the TV.

@DELUCAS you probably won't see any PQ differences....many forum members on avs and homecinema.fr confirmed they are very close...
@UdoG yes 4k is downscaled and then sent....
in any case ANY 4k tv HAS to do 4k upscaling otherwise there will be no picture....

You're right, but why should I downscale the 4K video and then upscale the video again on my TV? It's better (better PQ) to change nothing on the source. So from my point of view the egreat should set to 2160p instead of 1080p. OK, this makes only sense in case of 4K movies.... but hey - the box is made for 4K :)

small detail:

GUI is available in a shitload of languages... of course translation is lacking...BUT
the community can receive the excel string files....and translate it in around 4-5 hours, so that it can be perfect.
I myself took care of the french; some folks are working on polish and italian ATM; so we can share it to most. ;););)

in my opinion :

Out of box It's the zidoo that has the best PQ

With the egreat it is necessary to make adjustments in the parameters of the tv and the box to have an image equivalent to the zidoo.

I had made a comparison between the 2 devices with some images of oblivion iso, deepwater iso and titanic remux in close-up, and the zidoo is much better (Color gradients : titanic, when the submarines descends into the dark water in the direction of the titanic or deepwater, at the beginning of the film in the water in the direction of the pipeline) etc….

The Himedia and the Egreat have the same problem with some color gradation.

The sharpness is better on the zidoo, but by increasing the sharpness of the tv for example (that's what I do), we have the same sharpness between the two boxes.

see you

One disadvantage in 2160p - the image itself is softer and you are not able to use the picture settings like in 1080p. This was the case 6 weeks ago - maybe egreat changed something in the last weeks...

Ive had the A5 for a week now and think its much better than my Zidoo x9s and Himedia Q5pro only problem Im having and didnt have with the others is I cannot get the SEARCH NETWORK SHARE option working (just get spinning circle logo),can only connect to my nas shares by manually adding the server info.This is with a Gen8 and an Asustor Nas.Ive tried everything and Ive put it down to a software bug on the Egreat.
Spent hours on it
Yes it is now fundamentally broke, manually adding addresses is a poor solution. They need to get on top of it quickly. Everything seemed OK under the older firmware yesterday.

Yes it is now fundamentally broke, manually adding addresses is a poor solution. They need to get on top of it quickly. Everything seemed OK under the older firmware yesterday.

Are you having same problem? I tried reverting to previous firmware 1.1.0.7 but still the same.
What firmware was shipped with your box and was it working ok?
cheers

Are you having same problem? I tried reverting to previous firmware 1.1.0.7 but still the same.
What firmware was shipped with your box and was it working ok?
cheers
Yes I'm having the same problem. Don't know which firmware I was on out of the box but it worked fine. You selected the library by clicking on a share after auto searching. Upgraded to 1.2.3.0 and now the auto search won't work. It finds the shares but won't add the path. You just get a spinning circle then fail message. I'm going to try and add the paths manually by IP address later but that is not really a long term solution. They need to fix the auto function quickly.

It seems the top four are :

1 E Great
2 zidoo X 10 etc
3 Zappiti
4 Hi Media
Some sharing the same chipset it seems .

I've had all four of those boxes, though the X9S Zidoo version. You can add a number of others.

PQ isn't the real differentiator in real world usage, they are all pretty much the same unless you are the type that looks for minute variation in slides. It is ease of use, file support, interface, reliability and functionality that really differentiates them. Zappiti comes out top to me.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom