1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eggs vs Genies

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jamesv, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Jamesv

Jamesv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone. My question is simple. I fear the answer may be anything but! :)
    Ive just bought a Yamaha DSP AX750 amp and need some speakers now. Im really torn between the Kef KHT 2005.2's and the Mordaunt Short Genies. Help!!!

2. postbag

postbag
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for asking cuz thats exactly the dilemma i'm facing at the moment :hiya: Anyone?

3. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    use the search option and find a not-so-recent debate on the very same subject.

best advice is to go and listen for both sets (preferably) connected to the same AMP.

4. rajvirdee

rajvirdee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just gone for the Genies which are marginally better IMHO as the bass was more controlled.

My brother has the KHT's with the same amp (2805 Denon) and it still sounds fantastic. I don't think you'll go wrong with either and bear in mind you can pick up the eggs for around £600.

It may come down to what looks better !!!

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I heard the Genies at the What hifi show and they sounded very cohesive with good bass which isnt a suprise as the sub is an upgraded version of the award winning 309.

The only real way to know is to demo them as has been said before. What hifi prefered the genies over the eggs.

Attached Files:

6. Jamesv

Jamesv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys (especially the pic Dfour! They look wicked on the stands). I have listened to the genies alongside the eggs but I think the setup was a little tempremental. The genies lacked the midrange of the eggs and there was a noticable difference. I cant believe this so I reckon there was a problem with the setup. Maybe the amp was not configured optimally. Either way I came out of the shop still confused! Im sure both will play movies admirably, my main concern is with the playback of music. Anyone checked this aspect out?