• Mission FS2's & Sub

Votes: 21 61.8%
  • KEF Egg's & Sub

Votes: 13 38.2%

• Total voters

Kirk

Standard Member
Reaction score
Whats the general consensous on which is the better speaker package between the KEF Eggs & Sub or the Mission FS2 NXT Speakers & Sub?

Also, does anyone know when Missions new FS1's are coming out? I have seen an advert for them, but the website says nothing! :mad:

Voted for the Missions. I demo'd both and can honestly say I couldn't really tell much of a difference in quality.

The Missions were slightly better sounding overall (whole experience) in my opinion althouigh the bass was a bit better on the KEF's.

Also the Kefs were about £300 more. Couldn't justify the price, although it may have been a bit more of a diffcult decision if the KEF's were cheaper.

Very happy with the setup now. Had another tinker with the Amp (3802) and Sub settings last weekend and it's really given the bass a kick.

Watched Criterions Traffic and Shrek at the weekend and the sound quality was superb.

Just bought a set of Missions from Superfi for £400.

VERY pleased... good service too. Sub needs to "bed in" a bit more (sorry can't think of the correct erm, but you know what I mean).

Very immersive experience... placement is not critical and with only a little tweaking I've got a sound that I am extremely happy with.

I demoed the eggs, but decided that I'd rather have the extra cash so go towards the summer holiday.

Same for me PJG - got the missions several months ago for 460 after demoing both - preferred Mission sound - plus ease of placement,etc. AND pacification of girlfriend.... ;)
And you're right it adds up to a better summer holiday.....:cool:

WAF (Wife Aprreciation Factor) is becoming more important nowadays and the Missions have lots of it.

When I picked my speakers up I was looking at a set of floorstanders in the shop and my girlfriend commented on how 'inappropriate' they would be in the front room (not the words she actually used but I think I'd be banned if i gave a direct quote :D ).

When she saw the size of the box for the Missions she was a bit more happy and she was v. pleased when I showed her the actually size of them.

I did point out that as we dont live together she had very little input but even she is telling her friends about them.

Kirk,

I have just read your post on the TV/Plasma forum. Now makes a bot more sense you starting the poll.

All these are suggestive. Everyone hears different thngs in speakers so the best advice is to get a good demo of both speaker systems (although dealers do not have a great reputation in Demo'ing the Missions properly) and make your choice form there.

In term of room size you shouldn't have a problem with the Missions as they are more than capable. What amp are you thinking of user. I have a 3802 and its plenty loud enough. My roon is 12x20 and they leave a smile on my face. :D

In the box with the Missions you get a 5m cable to link the Amp to the Sub and then about 45m of flat speaker cable to go from the Sub to the 5 satellites (you can order more from your dealer). You also get the double sided sticky tape to hold it under the carpet, against the skirting board etc. and the wall mounting kits and stands for each speaker. Everything you would need basically. (Just beware of stripping the cable.. its a bitch :D!!!)

I cant remember if the KEF's come with any cable etc so I wouldn't like to say one way or the other.

Thanks Guys,

Your input is greatly appreciated and all views have been very insightful.

I must admit the missus aint gonna be to chuffed if I fill the living room full of huge speakers, but these smaller speaker packages seem to have a pretty good reputation.:cool:

I am going to go and trial the speaker packages soon, but I must admit I am leaning heavily towards the Missions even before I get there!

I am intending to get a Denon 3802 amp as well.

My original plan was to get a Panny 37" plasma too, however, I asked my work to get me some quotes on prices to try and knock the cost down (I work for an IT reseller :D ) and they have come back to me with an okay price on the Panny, but a GREAT price on a Sony PFM-42B1 beastie! of £2999 exl VAT............ARRRRGHHHHH! I just can't seem to make my mind up for sure about any of this gear except for the amp! :)

Dont spose any of u guys have anthing to say between the Panny TH-37PWD4BX and the Sony PFM-42B1.

Decisions decisions!!!!!:confused:

Have a search for some other threads going on about Demoing the Missions. You need to make sure that the shop sets them up correctly and doesn't attach the sats directly to the Amp but uses the Sub.

Some shops don't do this and it sounds crap.

Have fun.

definitely the Missions.

not much in it at all between them & the Kefs.

and if I can save £200-300 in doing so, then its a real no-brainer in what to choose.

a high WAF also is a big plus.

Originally posted by Kirk
Whats the general consensous on which is the better speaker package between the KEF Eggs & Sub or the Mission FS2 NXT Speakers & Sub?

Also, does anyone know when Missions new FS1's are coming out? I have seen an advert for them, but the website says nothing! :mad:
:

:eek: I just cannot see how 74% of you can vote the missions over the kef's

Is it quantity you want or quality

The kefs with the perfect matching sub just blow the missions away:eek:

just check out the reviews in the mags!!!!!!!!!!

factoring in cost as well makes a huge difference to this Q.

if they were both £700-800 its different... I'd probably go for the kefs.

but with a gap of £250+ or greater, the kefs would have to be pretty spectacular in comparison...

quite simply, they're not...

just slightly better but not £250+ better.

and as for
just check out the reviews in the mags!!!!!!!!!!

no... I dont base my vote on magazine reviews (which are often inaccurate anyway)
I base it on a decent demo of both sets of speakers.

and davebees with that many exclamation marks...
think you need to cut down on the caffeine.

or maybe you do the advertising for kef.;) :p

Originally posted by MartinCo
factoring in cost as well makes a huge difference to this Q.

if they were both £700-800 its different... I'd probably go for the kefs.

but with a gap of £250+ or greater, the kefs would have to be pretty spectacular in comparison...

quite simply, they're not...

just slightly better but not £250+ better.

and as for

no... I dont base my vote on magazine reviews (which are often inaccurate anyway)
I base it on a decent demo of both sets of speakers.

and davebees with that many exclamation marks...
think you need to cut down on the caffeine.

or maybe you do the advertising for kef.;) :p

:D I do work for kef!! please let me know of any past decent mission speakers at any price...:D

Originally posted by davebees

:D I do work for kef!! please let me know of any past decent mission speakers at any price...:D

Why, do you want to nick their ideas !! :D

Seriously though, I demo'd both and like MatinCo said there wasn't a lot in it and the £250 saving went to a better amp.

Also the Kef Eggs did not have the same WAF as the Missions. When the missus saw them (before she knew what they were) she screwed up her face and said 'look at these, there ugly'. She was not impressed by my next line of 'thats what were listening to today,dear'

I think the Missions won the female vote hands down.

Originally posted by billduff
When the missus saw them (before she knew what they were) she screwed up her face and said 'look at these, there ugly'.

ugly? just naff styling.

I always thought they look like something out of Blakes 7.

maybe Servelan has Kef speakers in her rooms.:D :D

This seems to be getting too common for my liking. Why are you all letting the missus do the deciding here? Who is paying for them? Who has a clue about AV and who doesn't?

Sorry, but I feel there is too much wimpishness going on here:mad:

Originally posted by jag
This seems to be getting too common for my liking.

what precisely do this mean?:devil:

and no, I decided what speakers to buy.

if the wife/partner/gf happens to approve then fine... thats a plus.

Originally posted by MartinCo

what precisely do this mean?:devil:

and no, I decided what speakers to buy.

if the wife/partner/gf happens to approve then fine... thats a plus.

I mean letting the wife/partner/gf decide on AV equipment because "it looks nice". Theres nothing wrong with approval once you've decided on one, but not the other way around. Please guys, stand up for yourselves, you're giving us a bad name ;)

Originally posted by jag
Sorry, but I feel there is too much wimpishness going on here:mad:

Not wimpishness, but a desire not to have my ears chewed off. :rolleyes:

I didn't want big boxy speakers in my front room (as I don't have the room) so a sub/sat was the best option.

I narrowed it down to the KEF's or the Missions, I arranged the demo's and I made the final choice. The missus was allowed input on the choice of the final two but by no means the deciding vote.

Jag, you must be single !!!! ;) Life is full of compromises. How would you like if you bought all the kit you liked and set it up where you liked. To use your arguments, your wife would be entitled to buy a noisy sewing machine (with her money), set it up in your room (presumable in a joint house) and sew away while you are watching you latest blockbuster. You cant then complain. If you can do what you want with reference to her then so can she without giving a stuff about your input.

Originally posted by jag

Theres nothing wrong with approval once you've decided on one, but not the other way around.

How can you get approval when you have decided on one. If she says no your stuffed. Give them a choice of two, demo both and steer her in your prefered direction.

That way she thinks she's had an input, but you still get what you want.

Failing that ask the bloke in the shop to 'rig' the demo :D

Originally posted by jag
Please guys, stand up for yourselves, you're giving us a bad name ;)

I'm with billduff..., jag - no way you're married...:D
bet you have huge floorstanders in a little 3m x 3m living room.:p

and as for the "us" in giving a bad name... I can stand on my own quite well already thank you.

note.. some but not all of my previous comments were meant in humour.. look at the smilies.

anyway, since your male pride is obviously dented - an explanation... probably similar for others here.

my previous setup was in its own room... no problem there.. can buy what I like.

my current setup is in our living room... have to make adjustments for that.

a sub/sat setup was the obvious way to go so I shortlisted 3-4 products.
(I'd probably add the Gallos to the list now, funds permitting).

the Mission won based on performance & price.

jag.. chill out!
next thing you'll be saying that the size of your speakers is directly related to ...:D

Not married but living with gf. She just understands that I know what best when it comes to things likes home cinema and so will go with whatever I want. I don't have to ask permission and require a seal of approval first.

This isn't a floorstanders/satellite argument, just a "male pride" one.

Originally posted by jag
Not married but living with gf. She just understands that I know what best when it comes to things likes home cinema and so will go with whatever I want..
I don't have to ask permission and require a seal of approval first.

same as everyone else then...?

bet she decorated the room for you though...;)

Originally posted by jag
This isn't a floorstanders/satellite argument, just a "male pride" one.

:)

okay, I shall go home tonight and do my best Caveman impersonation
to help re-establish my wounded "male pride".
:D :p

everyone is entitled to their own opinion at the end of the day.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom