Eggs in the Fridge - yes or no?

Chadford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never quite sure about this, but it has been giving me sleepless nights as of late....

I've been told...
1) Never keep eggs in the fridge.
2) Use a room temperature egg if you're baking.
3) Fried eggs are best done using an egg from the fridge.
4) It doesn't matter where you keep your eggs - but don't put them near smelly food as they absorb odours.
5) The fridge egg compartments is the fruit of child molesting demons.

...any thoughts?

I never keep eggs in the fridge, and nor does the supermarket :)

Keep your eggs in the fridge. They'll last longer. Take them out 30 minutes before you need to use them so they warm to room temperature :)

Yes. No reason to why, my mum did and ive always done the same . . strange how you copy your parents when your grown up.

We keep ours at room temp, covered. They always last til their expiry date without a problem.

Always keep mine in the fridge. Pretty much every fridge comes with an egg tray too so it must be commonplace - ?

the thing is... ever since i was growing up..... theres always been an egg compartment in the door of the various fridges my parents have had. was always empty or filled with family medication :D just used to keep them in the box, and being 6 of us, the trays of 24 would never fit anyway!

Always kept them in the fridge in their box and I'm not dead yet.

I never keep eggs in the fridge, and nor does the supermarket :)

Salad isn't kept in a fridge in the supermarket either but I bet you keep it in a fridge at home?;)

One thing that says you should store in a fridge is Tomato Ketchup, but I don't know anyone that does? However, I do know people that keep bread in the fridge?

Sometimes do sometimes don't, moreoften don't.
Easier to fry an egg immediately when they are at room temp.

Nobody has suggested the freezer? Everything lasts longer in the freezer ;):D

One thing that says you should store in a fridge is Tomato Ketchup, but I don't know anyone that does?
Keep mine in the fridge, along with the mayo, brown sauce and salad cream :D

I do know people that keep bread in the fridge?

With Bread I was under the impression that it both stayed fresh longer and went stale quicker in the fridge.

Ie in the fridge it will take longer for the bread to be inedible with mold growing on it however it will take less time till it goes hard and becomes undesirable. Since I wouldn't want to keep bread once its started to go hard keeping out of the fridge is by far the best option.

Salad isn't kept in a fridge in the supermarket either but I bet you keep it in a fridge at home?;)

One thing that says you should store in a fridge is Tomato Ketchup, but I don't know anyone that does?

Whilst not kept in fridges the salad at our local supermarket is kept chilled

Also Fresh ground coffee should also be stored in the fridge

Egss in the fridge. Bread in the fridge (never used to though used to have a bread tin). Sauce in the cupboard.

Fresh Ground coffee is good to store in the freezer. The blind testing I've seen suggests it keeps it as good as new whereas it will get worse overtime in the fridge or out of it. You can use it straight from the freezer into the cafetière, I'm not a coffee drinker though so its second hand info but it was a very impressive scentific study I read on it.

Bread goes stale because of starch loosing water and crystalising, this process is accelerated in a fridge. It happens even if the bread is sealed. Freezing bread stops this process from happening but as frozen bread defrosts a lot of crystalisation occurs which is why defrosted bread goes stale quite quickly compared to fresh bread even if it was frozen straight away.

Intresting to note that the crystalisation is reversed with heat therefore there is little difference between toasted fresh and stale bread.

Brown sauce in the fridge? This is not the stone ages you god fearing hick. Maybe cousin Billy does these uncivilised things but those in the upper echelons of human existence do no such thing.

uuuuugh cold brown sauce .. next you'll tell me you use skimmed milk :devil:

Mayo & Salad cream - yes, along with mustards, pickles & most jarred condiments, but ketchup, brown sauce etc is firmly in the cupboard at room temp around here.

Brown sauce in the fridge? This is not the stone ages you god fearing hick.

uuuuugh cold brown sauce .. next you'll tell me you use skimmed milk :devil:
:rotfl: And skimmed milk is horrid stuff !

ketchup, brown sauce etc is firmly in the cupboard at room temp around here.
I will remove the said offending items later today and stick 'em in the cupboard! :D

Eggs in the fridge along with all sauces, warm HP sauce? yuk.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom