• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Efficient Multi Room AV

ReWired

Novice Member
Looking for ideas on the most efficient way to wire out three rooms with 5.2.1 setups - all going back to a central server rack.

Audio
Each room will have the same configuration so I am planning to use an 8 core speaker cable routed to two points in each room.
The first 8 core to feed the L,C,R and Sub terminated at a location beside the screen.
The second 8 core will be terminated in the ceiling and then distributed to the LS,RS and .2 presence speakers.

Should I just stick to regular speaker cable runs and not bother with 8 core?
Should the sub cable be a seperate run?

Any recomendations for 8 core cables at a few different price ranges?

Although not cable related any recomendations for small presence speakers would be helpful.

Video
Each screen will have CAT 7A duplex terminated close to the screen, 1 x 24AWG HDMI and 1 x Rubipro HDMI routed through brushed faceplates.

I plan to measure and loom all cable runs in advance for a faster install hence the effeciency aim.

Any advice appriciated especially towards keeping costs down :)

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
You haven't said what length cables you would need and that can be an important factor in what you then need to buy.

No reason why you couldn't use multicore speaker cable but you would need to make sure the cable area\diameter was of sufficient size for the run. A lot of people will use the Van Damme 2.5mm2 blue cable and that's usually ok depending on what's been driven. The thinner cables for example have greater resistance and over longer distance means your amps have to drive harder to achieve the same volume levels. Obviously 8 cores at that area core is going to be quite big.

You sub would normally be Active i.e. got its own amp. If that's the case then you would want to have a subwoofer cable rather than a speaker cable. The subwoofer cable is a screened 75Ohm cable, no need to go overboard or anything but it needs to be screened.

To save money any reason why CAT7A? Whilst I know its the newest standard, unless you going to get all the test equipment in to validate its actually CAT7A compliant.

A number of the manufactures of HDMI over CAT recommend CAT6 over CAT7.

Also need to know the lengths of the HDMI cable as they don't always play ball over 8m particularly 4k which can be picknity.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I'd be keen to look at the 'usage' scenario, including control options, and then decide if the 3 x AVR's ought to be Centralised or out in each Zone (I suspect the latter may be a better option for you).

As above (and the other thread) I'd avoid CAT7 - I can't see it being relevant over UTP, solid core CAT6.

'I plan to measure and loom all cable runs in advance for a faster install hence the effeciency aim' - that is a tall order and unlikely to be possible!

Joe

ReWired

Novice Member
Wow - thanks for the feedback - all very helpful. I hope I covered all the questions here!

You haven't said what length cables you would need and that can be an important factor in what you then need to buy.

Longest speaker cable run +10% is 16 meters.

depending on what's been driven

Furthest run will have 3 x B&W VM1 (0.2W Max. Recommended Cable Impedance) which I have no idea how to calculate. Any help here would be great!

Currently running comfortably on 0.5mm with a max run of 11m.

The subwoofer cable is a screened 75Ohm cable, no need to go overboard or anything but it needs to be screened.

Perfect - will use a dedicated 75 Ohm shielded cable for the YAMAHA YSTFSW050's.

To save money any reason why CAT7A?

CAT7A Highest spec available and cost wise not much higher than CAT6A and comes in duplex/shotgun style which in my head is going to be easier to run.
Ligawo ® Verlegekabel Cat.7 100m Ring S/FTP Duplex 1200MHz orange: Amazon.de: Elektronik
Also I only need 100m so savings here are not huge. Much more savings to be had from choosing the correct speaker cable.

Also need to know the lengths of the HDMI cable as they don't always play ball over 8m particularly 4k which can be picknity.

Already hit this problem on some 3x10m runs in my current setup - hence the Rubipro fiber. Secondary HDMI is for HD.

I'd be keen to look at the 'usage' scenario

Room 1 - Primary living room TV space.
Sony XD9305 55" - controlled with Logitech Harmony Hub
Pioneer A/V running audio through ARC - controlled over IP/Voice integration.
SKYQ UHD Controlled by Logitech Harmony Hub

Room 2 - Den/Lounge Area
HD projector on 120" screen - unlikly to see upgrade to 4k in the near future so this Rubipro might get dropped here. Pioneer A/V may be re-routed to this room manually for movie nights. (8 bananan plug changes) in comms room.

Room 3 - Kitchen - Most likely 65" Hisense UHD + Pioneer/Onkyo AV to be purchased.
SKYQ UHD to be duplicated here. Will be controlled by Echo/DomoticzIP/Broadlink RM Mini 3.
5.2.1 could be brought to 5.1. Mainly all channel stereo use. More speakers at a lower volume is my prefered listening mode.

decide if the 3 x AVR's ought to be Centralised or out in each Zone (I suspect the latter may be a better option for you).
Joe

Seperating out to each zone is possible and would be easier and cheaper but this is a passion project with the aim to have everything apart from speakers and displays centralized. Everything is being re-plastered and a new floor poured so I want to get this right first time. Also I understand living spaces are dynamic and locations of the TV's/Screens/Speakers or room use may change over time so I want to account for this.

So summarizing the advice so far:
It looks like CAT6A is plenty.
Dedicated Sub Cables.
I'm not going to be able to measure in advance.
Make sure to use conduit!

Still looking for:
More advice on speaker cables based on the detail above.
Where is the cheapest bulk Van Damme seller?
Any suggestions on minimum suggested cable diamater for longest runs.
Any conduit suggestions?

Thanks again for all the advice!

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Probably more questions than answers for you.

I have done a similar thing at my house with just speakers and tv on site in one room. In the other I have a local blu ray and ps4 so I can load discs etc.

I ran coax to each tv point so I could have Freesat and freeview as well as sky q.

Run more cat cables to each point in case of needing it for something else. I also wouldn't bother with shielded cat cable unless you need it for a specific application. It's harder to bend, harder to terminate and if you don't terminate the shielding probably you can pick up interference.

I use CPC for my cables.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom