Effects of laser treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

rigman

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all

not sure if this is in the right part of the forum but as I have a Barco G808 then it maybe answered by people that have similar equipment and experience of this question.

I have been short sighted for all of my life and use glasses / contact lenses to rectify. I have been seriously considering getting laser treatment to correct the vision as it claims to work great and that you can go back to work within a couple of days.

The questions I have is "has anyone had this done and have you noticed any adverse optical effects when viewing your cinema. How long did you take to recover and could you do the normal things like driving as quick as it is claimed?

Having a home cinema is obviously very enjoyable and it is a worry that something could go wrong and spoil it for life due to optical effects from the operation and scarring.

thanks
Darren

I had LASIK just under 12 months ago as I was very short sighted.

The surgery was performed at 4pm one afternoon and my check up was 10am the next day. My vision was so good at the check up - that they said I could start driving again straight away.

I felt fine, so I went back to work the next day. I work in IT and did find that my eyes stung a little when trying to concentrate on my vdu's.

A couple of days later - everything was fine. No problems at all for me.

I've certainly not had any adverse affects with anything - let alone the home cinema.

The best advice I could offer - is go and have a chat with them. I went to Ultralase in Leeds City Centre and felt comfortable straight away. There was no pressure or anything, and it was good to find out that I could actually have the treatment - and then go away to decide for myself.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Thanks Dave / Gary

the site mentioned seems to have all of the horror stories which is enough to put anyone off this procedure for life although a lot of them seem to have been treated by cowboy doctors as well. It is the same with a snip there will always be someone that had a mate who ended up with a pair of blue mellons and could not walk for a month and they will tell you about it in great detail whenever the subject comes up. the differenc is I suppose is that they will end up healing eventually and the benefit is no more screaming kids to contend with. It is a bit different with the eyes as once they are damaged then there is no turning back.

I will take Daves advice and go and talk to them maybe get one eye done at a time with 6 months in between or something.

cheers
Darren

I dont want to appear like a merchant of doom, however, there is a very comprehensive report due out at the end of the year from America about the long term effects of laser surgery. So I would wait and see what that says before making any decisions about surgery.

If you talk to the companies that carry out the surgery, of course they wll recomend it.

Saying all that, I read a thread on the avsforum about not setting your pj up with glasses over a certain thickness due to the refraction of light. They recommended using contact lenses to set things up.

Well a mate of mine is an optician and is very short sighted and wears glasses, he could easily afford the treatment but is worried not about if it will work now but the long term effects. Its not been available for many years. Only 10 years ago they were not using lasers and used a procedure that flatterned the front curvature of the eye bye making parrallel incisions:eek:

Must admit, if I needed it I might be tempted though.

I must admit, before I had it done - I was well worried.

I'd never recommend the surgery to anyone, other than sharing my own experience - which was good.

I was very short sighted and hated wearing glasses - which left contacts, which I'd been wearing for long periods everyday for 10 years or so, which was probably knackering my eyes anyway.

All I ever tell people - is that if their interested, go and find out more.

Dave

I dont want to appear like a merchant of doom, however, there is a very comprehensive report due out at the end of the year from America about the long term effects of laser surgery. So I would wait and see what that says before making any decisions about surgery.

Where did you get this information. The end of the year is not far away so I will wait for that if I knew where it could be read

I would wait and see

Was that pun intended :D

thanks
Darren

I work in a neuroscience research team in a university, one of the research groups is involved with some research into restoring vision due to an age related disorder (I wont go into the details here as we would be here all day). Any way to cut a long story short this group are in contact with some of the top eye surgeons in the country, and I asked one of them about the Lasik surgery for myself. Hence the post about "wait and see", when the report becomes avaliable I will post details of how to obtain it etc.

Its not like having a nose job or something similar, if it has some detremental effects on vision 10 years down the road there will probably be little that can be done to rectify the problem. Contact lenses were recomended as the best solution to correct shortsighted vision at the moment.

I know contact lenses and glasses are a pain in the arse but they are better than being blind.

I'm worried now - I better get saving for a bigger screen, just in case!

Seriously though - I'd be interested in reading that report as well.

Dave

I was all set for having the surgery, I will do some asking around and find out some more details on release date etc.

For what i'ts worth, the CAA will not issue a medical certificate to anyone who has had laser surgery.:rolleyes:

Simon69 is spot on in my view. You need minimum 10-15 year follow-up studies (properly designed and controlled) to be confident on an evidence base that this is a safe treatment. I was interested a few years ago and asked some consultant ophthalmic surgeon colleagues about the laser surgery option: unanimous replies of dont do it, wait for large, good quality very long term follow-up studies, and even then think very hard: at present such risks are simply not known (eg: what's the 30 year risk of cataracts or choroidal melanoma due to potentially increased uv transmission through a slightly thinned cornea?), and the known short term complications are uncommon but avoidable if your vision is presently adequately corrected with glasses/contact lenses. Think about your own life expectancy and compare the length of present follow-up studies with that! I can think of a couple of other "safe" surgical procedures of the last decade or 2 that are just now beginning to show possible signs of rather alarming long term complications...
Best wishes in any case if you go through with the surgery.

Chris

Hi Chris

This is an excellent summary of information and really outlines all the problems associated with this type of surgery to anyone that is thinking about it.

What is Histopathology?

Thanks all I think I have been pretty much put off getting it now from the site and some of your replies. The report will be very interesting reading and if it comes out and states that there is no evidence of any long term damage then I may reconsider.

So looks like some new gear for the home cinema it is then :D

cheers
Darren

Originally posted by simon69
I know contact lenses and glasses are a pain in the arse but they are better than being blind.
Are you sure you are putting them on correctly or is this the true reason why contact lenses make your eyes water?:devil:

Simon69

did this report ever get published then. If so could you supply a link.

cheers
Darren

Originally posted by rigman
Simon69

did this report ever get published then. If so could you supply a link.

cheers
Darren

I'm interested as well. I'm concerned that what may work today, may well cause problems when I'm 60 or something, i.e. eyesight in general changes with age and any permanent laser treatment now may make things a lot worse in future years (short term solution, long term problems).
Paul

I have not been back to work since christmas, I have been working from home!!, I will ask the research team where the report is being published and get back to you.

Every optician I've mentioned it to says wait a few years. I use the one day acuvue contacts and to be honest I forget I'm wearing them. There are also new one day disposables coming out which correct for astigmatism too.

Originally posted by Mr.D
. There are also new one day disposables coming out which correct for astigmatism too.
I have a high astigmatism, do you have any more info about these one dayones?
marc

Not yet I've been looking but I believe they might be out already but they might not be acuvue amybe bosh and lombe (sp) ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom