1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Effective Subwoofer tuning mics

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Cool-hand, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi

Can any owners of subs with tuning mics pass their honest experiences on here and tell me whether they are effective in tuning the subs or like AV amp mics, a bit hit & miss!

Come to think of it which subs other than the DD Velodyne range offer this facility?

I have a KEF TDM 45B THX sub and it really is a corker, even being several years old. I would like the slam and punch of it (if not more?) but from a 10" or 12" sub (reduced boxiness hopfully). But if I have to stay at 15" level then fair enough. I've tuned the sub myself the long and painful way moving the dials (by hand - no rc helpfulness :suicide: ) and think I have it as good as i can without test instruments).

Theres a lot of good subs out, but this mic trick and a rc would be a real help (if it works?? :rolleyes: and is not hocus pocus).

Many thanks

CH

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have a tuning mic in the form of an SPL meter. It won't offer automatic tuning but it works brilliantly well for it's £25 outlay. :)

3. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi Ian

Thanks :eek: sorry I forgot to mention I do own a digital spl meter but never used it to tune the sub! I've found using the ear easier, although I know it could be better. Would I still use the same kinda settings for a sub? C weighting, etc..?

I guess just having a rc would be a bonus in itself :rolleyes: that would atleast take the back-braking out of it!

CH

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I suppose that a wife is too drastic a step just to twiddle the dials whilst you setup a sub but they have other uses even though the maintenance costs are high.

I set up my subs using the SPL meter in exactly the same way that I setup the main speakers and although some people like to have the bass output at a higher level I prefer to listen to the sound as the director intended.

5. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Oh hell if I asked her to do that it would be..... well lets just say its easier on the ear if I do it myself :lesson:

Couldn't agree more (if only I knew how he intended it though!) :confused:

Thanks again

CH