1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EF-S 17-85 IS or EF 28-135 IS for 350D??

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by wyerd, Apr 14, 2005.

1. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I recently purchased a 350D with the kit lens, but have found it a bit restrictive on zooming. I'm going on a cruise around northern europe in a couple of months taking in cities the major cities in the area and I'm looking at what lenses I'll need to pack. I don't really want to keep changes lenses as I visit the local tourist attractions, but I want to be able to get some good wide angle and telephotos

Which one of these lenses is a good all-rounder for a tourist to have, or am I looking at the wrong lens completely? I might need it for low light as well, which these won't be that good in.

I'd appreciate any recommendations -Thanks.

2. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I use a 28-135 as my everyday lens - its a really useful range, especially at the long end. The only thing i can think of that might be an issue is the fact that it isn't particularly wide. But you could always use the wide end of your kit lens if need be.

Having IS is very useful in low-light conditions; I got some usable handheld shots of the inside of a church - in Iceland in winter on an overcast day.

Are you planning on buying just the one new lens?

3. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    At the moment - yes. What else do you recommend & why?

4. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've got a £35 cashback voucher for the 28-135 which would bring the price down to £304 if bought from warehouse express. I could then put the cash saved to buying another lens. £150!

5. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Just to confuse the issue if they were both on the EF mount i'd go for the 17-85... i just find wide more useful than long in my typical use.

6. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +459
    Also, bear in mind that the 17-85 lens is an "EF-S" model. I.E. specifically designed for digital cameras. I have this particular lens and have been very impressed with it. I did look at the 28-135 initially - this was designed to go with full frame 35mm cameras. I felt aht the wide angle cverage of the 17-85 was more useful as a "walkabout" lens because it gives you scope to cover a wide variety of subject matter. Be prepared though - it's quite a bit heavier than the kit lens. IS is very useful though.

7. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    The EF-S mount was what concerned me... i want to wait until it's be around for a while longer before i go that route...opted for the 17-40 instead.