1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EEPROM Test Failure

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by clrice100, Nov 20, 2004.

1. clrice100

clrice100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Philips 30PW8402 HDTV. Went into the service menu and ran "EEPROM TEST". It came back as FAILED. Is there anyone who can tell me what this means. The TV is only 3 wks old. I've been trying to see if I can adjust the picture, because SD looks really bad during sporting events when there is a lot of movement. Otherwise the picture looks pretty good. Moving objects (particularly noticeable with smaller object when zoomed out) seem to have what looks like ripples eminating from them. It is very distracting.

Also noticed that when in the satellite menu, the outside edges bow inward wherever the cursor it at. Any ideas on this.

I'm wondering whether I just need to take this TV back and get something else like the Toshiba. Sony's are out of my price range.

I would appreciate any and all help.

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Yes, it means return it to the dealer for refund or replacement. :laugh:

I'm not familiar with this particular model, but in general terms the EEPROM is the bit that adjusts/remembers your picture and sound settings.

(Long gone are the vertical and horizontal hold knobs!)

The ripple on fast movement is probably the digital signal processing.

It's there to help, but you should be able to turn it off if you don't like it.

On the other hand, it's a feature you've paid for...

Hope this helps.

(Oh yes, and welcome to the Forum! :) )

3. clrice100

clrice100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I think I may take this back, but I'm not sure whether I should exchange it for the same or try the similarly priced Toshiba 30HF84 ($100 more) or the Sony KV30HS420 ($200) more. Does anyone have an opinion if either of these is more reliable, easier to get repaired, better overall quality than the Philips brand? I've read about some negatives on the Toshiba. Some Toshiba purchasers seem very happy while others are very unhappy. Sony obviously is the big name, but I don't want to pay another $200 just for the name. If it's all the same I might as well go with the lower price.

4. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    You can say that about any manufacturer. :laugh:

Incidentally, this Forum is UK based, so whilst I'm sure there will be plenty of people who want to help, advice on US products will be rather limited.

Good luck in whatever you decide to buy. :thumbsup: