EEE 900 v HP 2133

pbb76

Distinguished Member
In the battle to find the best portable laptop for my needs, I've whittled it down to these 2.

I will be using it for the following (in order of preference).

Office (Writing)
Web Browsing
Dreamweaver / Web Editing
Other Web Tasks (FTP, MYSQL, Small Graphic work)
Playing Videos/Music

I'm leaning towards the EEE at the moment due to the following

* Lower Price
* Flash Memory - lack of moving parts
* Lighter

BUT, I am worried the lack of space is going to be a problem (I would get the 20gb Linux version - and prob install XP).

The HP looks nicer and the 120/160gb HD is a bonus, but the 160gb version would have to be imported and I'm risking paying import duty ontop of the £430 price. The big draw for me with the HP is the screen resolution and the bigger keyboard - I dont touch type as such, but I am 'fast with 2 fingers!'

So really looking for owners of either to state their cases!!!!! :lease:

pbb76

Distinguished Member
Just to tie this thread up - I went ahead and got the EEE900 Linux yesterday and am mega pleased with it.

The Linux part seemed very good - especially for a basic user. Everything was fast, VERY easy to access and if all you want a laptop is for browsing, email and word processing etc, then you can run with this very easily right out the box.

There is an 'advanced desktop' in the Linux software that can be activated with some Terminal commands (the Wiki is excellent for the EEE), but in the end, I knew I'd put Windows on it, so I didnt bother looking into that.

For the Windows XP install, I followed a site which has it step-by-step using only a 2gb USB stick - after some initial problems and a reinstall (that I found out after was not needed), I now have Windows XP running on the EEE.

Its very fast, runs the programs I need with little effort and even though there is only 16gb storage left over, you can double that with an SD card which I plan to do - and that will be plenty for a pick-up-and-use laptop.

I'd HIGHLY recommend this - its fantastic! :clap:

psikey

Distinguished Member
Was going to buy an eee pc 900 but the UK getting shafted with the low 4400mAh battery has put me off for the moment & I'm going to see what the MSI Wind is like with bigger keyboard 1.6GHz atom cpu 10" screen and 80GB standard hard drive for around £320.

Ned Senior

Just to tie this thread up - I went ahead and got the EEE900 Linux yesterday and am mega pleased with it.

The Linux part seemed very good - especially for a basic user. Everything was fast, VERY easy to access and if all you want a laptop is for browsing, email and word processing etc, then you can run with this very easily right out the box.

There is an 'advanced desktop' in the Linux software that can be activated with some Terminal commands (the Wiki is excellent for the EEE), but in the end, I knew I'd put Windows on it, so I didnt bother looking into that.

For the Windows XP install, I followed a site which has it step-by-step using only a 2gb USB stick - after some initial problems and a reinstall (that I found out after was not needed), I now have Windows XP running on the EEE.

Its very fast, runs the programs I need with little effort and even though there is only 16gb storage left over, you can double that with an SD card which I plan to do - and that will be plenty for a pick-up-and-use laptop.

I'd HIGHLY recommend this - its fantastic! :clap:
Great news mate!!

is the screen ok?? i.e. good!
and large enough for reading offav

pbb76

Distinguished Member
Great news mate!!

is the screen ok?? i.e. good!
and large enough for reading offav
Yep, screen is superb.

Cannot say enough how great this little machine is :smashin: Got full XP install (with Vista theme) and at one stage today I had Firefox, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, FTP uploading all going at once and not a hint of lagging or slowdown.

Just started to muck around with some games and it runs UT2004 fantastically well - it looks great on the small screen, runs fast etc.

Finally, the sound outta the 900 is amazing too - really loud, clear etc. I was expecting really cheap, tinny sounds, but its great.

One of the best gadgets i've ever had the pleasure of owning! I love it!

Ned Senior

Yep, screen is superb.

Cannot say enough how great this little machine is :smashin: Got full XP install (with Vista theme) and at one stage today I had Firefox, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, FTP uploading all going at once and not a hint of lagging or slowdown.

Just started to muck around with some games and it runs UT2004 fantastically well - it looks great on the small screen, runs fast etc.

Finally, the sound outta the 900 is amazing too - really loud, clear etc. I was expecting really cheap, tinny sounds, but its great.

One of the best gadgets i've ever had the pleasure of owning! I love it!

Sounds like our staff mutts bits!!!:)

Might just try and get a demo
does anyone know whereabouts they have these on the shelf to take a peek???
my local pcworld only has the 700 series on show

maybe I'll head over to dixons (sorry currys digital((manners)))

Elppin

I've also got the eee 900 (12gb XP model), and love it to bits.

Screen is nice and clear, and viewing webpages in their full width is a pleasure.

Have also run up a couple of games (Age of Empires II) to test performance, and it runs perfectly.

I picked mine up at Toys R Us, and my local store had them on display - might be worth taking a look there to try one out?

Tony

Ned Senior

I've also got the eee 900 (12gb XP model), and love it to bits.

Screen is nice and clear, and viewing webpages in their full width is a pleasure.

Have also run up a couple of games (Age of Empires II) to test performance, and it runs perfectly.

I picked mine up at Toys R Us, and my local store had them on display - might be worth taking a look there to try one out?

Tony
Cheers going past there tomorrow

fringe

Standard Member
Thanks for the suggestion - I am curious to check out this device as well. Based on the speculation about the MSI Wind due for release in June I am currently favouring the MSI offering, but won't make a final decision until prices are confirmed and I have had a chance to try out each one.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Amazon, Disney+, Sky & NowTV Movies and TV Shows Coming in October 2020. Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom