EE vs o2?

spikeyjac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
I've been with EE for around 10 years, and can get 20% off a new contract with an iPhone (Mine was stolen in Vietnam along with other items!).
The cost of the iPhone is £49.99.
Through my partners cousin, I can also get 50% off the airtime bill with o2, making it a similar cost to the EE contract, minus the initial outlay for the iPhone, with 10gb more of data (I travel with work a lot, so need the data!)
My question is - I'm rather nervous moving to a new network, having done some reading into the 'bands' of spectrum that each network own...
Can anyone help me in giving a quick review on o2 - any good or avoid?
I live in Manchester, but coild possibly be moving to London.

Thanks,
Jack

02 in Manchester is great. I have just moved from Vodafone back to 02 after poor signal/4G connectivity.

I was on o2 for years and years and the signal is poor in places, I am now on EE and I seem to get a better signal everywhere, my mate is on O2 and complains all the time about the signal, and when we were in the highlands last August I was able to make calls and had internet in a load of places when he had sod all, EE is way better IMO.

The only reason he stays on it is he is on a better deal than EE will give him.

The only reason he stays on it is he is on a better deal than EE will give him.
Hardly a better deal if he can't get a signal.

I moved from Giffgaff (who use O2) to EE. The signal with Giffgaff was terrible. I couldn't get data anywhere other than major cities. My girlfriend is still with Giffgaff and she's a nightmare to get hold of.

I'm very happy I moved to EE, I have 3G or 4G pretty much everywhere I go. I can't remember the last time I didn't have signal with EE.

He is up and down the motorway 4 days a week, the signal's ok on the motorway network, all networks are, it's just a weaker signal in out of the way places and what have you, in his brothers house (in Manchester) the signal comes and goes on o2 but me and his brother get a full signal on EE and his sucks, and in many other places where we go Track daying.

In London though I should imagine all networks will be strong so I suppose as it's the capital then it will not matter as much.

Been pretty hacked off with EE since getting our eldest daughter put onto it.
She keeps getting bloody texts from them in the middle of the night, either reminders that her bill is ready to view, or about her data allowance.
There are obviously things we can do to stop the texts, but we shouldn't have to.
It's not something we've suffered with any other carrier before.

She keeps getting bloody texts from them in the middle of the night, either reminders that her bill is ready to view, or about her data allowance.
There are obviously things we can do to stop the texts, but we shouldn't have to.

That is bad, though I am on with EE and I only ever get 1 text a month on the 18th to say that they have refreshed my allowances, that's my billing cycle, I get nothing else and if I did I would be on the phone telling them to sort it out.

I always switch my phone off at night!

Not been a problem for me, I have EE PAYG and only get messages to say my 30 day bundle is about to expire.

That is bad, though I am on with EE and I only ever get 1 text a month on the 18th to say that they have refreshed my allowances, that's my billing cycle, I get nothing else and if I did I would be on the phone telling them to sort it out.

They seem unable to suggest a fix other than blocking the texts.
Which I'm not sure will even work, as the texts are the type that have no number.
And blocking isn't ideal anyway, as the information contained in them is actually useful.
Very odd.

I always switch my phone off at night!

okaaay.jpg

I used to get the same texts all of the time. The spam blocker wouldn't stop them so in the end I texted stop to the number on the texts and they stopped them.

You're right though, it is something that you should have to opt in to rather than out of

My other half is with O2 and i use EE, both in SE London/Kent area. she tends to struggle with 3/4G at times, we both have iphones.

EE merged 2 of the largest providers in the UK so it makes sense they will have better coverage than the other providers.

answer to your question - EE has better coverage hands down; however, o2 are not exactly a poor choice as an alternative. if its important to have full coverage most of the time, i'd stick with EE IMO

I moved from Giffgaff (who use O2) to EE. The signal with Giffgaff was terrible. I couldn't get data anywhere other than major cities. My girlfriend is still with Giffgaff and she's a nightmare to get hold of.

I'm very happy I moved to EE, I have 3G or 4G pretty much everywhere I go. I can't remember the last time I didn't have signal with EE.

I took giff gaff after having O2 for over 10 years, can't compare them at all even though they use same infrastructure.

Best London network and 4G is Vodafone.
Personally with BT & EE merging, I would be staying away from EE as their customer service will not be their first priority as the two companies go through the change.

Best London network and 4G is Vodafone.
Personally with BT & EE merging, I would be staying away from EE as their customer service will not be their first priority as the two companies go through the change.

I have to disagree with this statement. I left Vodfone to join EE, following signal issues. I lived in SW16 and commuted to SE1 so covered fairly large part of South London.

With regards to the CS, that is a different matter all together. they have currently been through a very large merger (Orange/T-Mobile). He has stated that he is already with EE and did not mention any issues with his current provider.

O2 and 3 mobile are rumoured to be merging also. So coverage for both O2 and EE will be different in the near future. I used to be on O2 but moved to 3 due to better price and coverage in my area. My Dad has EE and gets better coverage overall.

I have to disagree with this statement. I left Vodfone to join EE, following signal issues. I lived in SW16 and commuted to SE1 so covered fairly large part of South London.

With regards to the CS, that is a different matter all together. they have currently been through a very large merger (Orange/T-Mobile). He has stated that he is already with EE and did not mention any issues with his current provider.
I agree we use Vodafone at work, no one has a good thing to say about their coverage. I'm regularly having to use my personal phone, on EE for personal calls in East Anglia.

I have two phones EE & O2 both are crap. Best to talk to people in the area you use the phone most to see what is best for that area

Wow, is it really that hard to put a phone on silent or off?

Just buy a PAYG SIM to test signal wherever you would want to use it, before you sign up to a long contract?

EE has better coverage in most areas compared to o2 BUT with o2 merging with 3, there network may get better or on par with EE

Ive been with EE for 5 years + and the have been spot on for me.

I was with EE for about 4 years. Data really fast but signal not as good. Moved to o2, data not as fast and signal about the same. EE just offered nothing for retention so moved. I'd go back for a good deal.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom