EE Minimax Q's

RobsterD

Just managed to get one off these to play with and compare to my Bottlehead just need some recommendations on preferred valve options.
Been awhile since the last thread Paul/Godfather what are you now running in your pre's.
Cheers
Rob

Paul Williams

Just managed to get one off these to play with and compare to my Bottlehead just need some recommendations on preferred valve options.
Been awhile since the last thread Paul/Godfather what are you now running in your pre's.
Cheers
Rob
Hi Rob

I'd be interested to hear how it compares to the Bottlehead as I'll be ordering a pair of Paramours in the new year and later on (just for completeness) a Foreplay.

I've not really changed anything in the tube line up on my pre from the last posting, from left to right, MVT (Marconi) U78, Sylvania 12BH7, Brimar 13D5. The rectifier tube (6X4/CV4005/U78/EZ90....) seem to have the most basic fundamental effect on the sound, the buffer tube (middle) has the widest variety of substitutes to try & changes soundstage and detail. The amplification tube is the one I use to dial in the overall tone of the pre, and the 13D5 is still the best I heard.

Paul

RobsterD

Well it came with a Radiotechnique 6x4 and he threw in a couple of Brimar 13d5's with the stock valves which appear to be Sylvania 12au7wa's.
First impressions are good wont say too much as I might need to flog the Foreplay if you're interested ;)
I have some Mullard Cv4003,cryo cv4003's ,5963's and the Brimar 13d5's to play with seem to prefer the cryo Mullards at the mo.
Will seek out the valves you have,sourced from eBay ??
I 'm presuming the Brimars will be OK in the Foreplay as a straight replacement for a comparison.
The American distributor also mentions some upgrades have you considered these,if so what are they,can't seem to find any details,me being lazy:)
cheers
Rob

Paul Williams

Well it came with a Radiotechnique 6x4 and he threw in a couple of Brimar 13d5's with the stock valves which appear to be Sylvania 12au7wa's.
First impressions are good wont say too much as I might need to flog the Foreplay if you're interested ;)
I have some Mullard Cv4003,cryo cv4003's ,5963's and the Brimar 13d5's to play with seem to prefer the cryo Mullards at the mo.
Will seek out the valves you have,sourced from eBay ??
I 'm presuming the Brimars will be OK in the Foreplay as a straight replacement for a comparison.
The American distributor also mentions some upgrades have you considered these,if so what are they,can't seem to find any details,me being lazy:)
cheers
Rob
Hi Rob,

The stock valve would have been a GE CV4005 and 2 Eastern Electric branded Chinese 12AU7/ECC82, so looks like you got some nice old tubes to start off with. The Radiotechnique 6x4 is detailed, pacey but a bit aggressive (in my set-up) and you might like to look out for a well used Mullard or Marconi U78. Another favourite is the Tungsol, which is smooth but I preferred a British tube. The 6X4/U78/CV4005... are really quite bomb proof and I've got several 50 year old ones that look so well used but measure as new - they sound better with running time. I've a NOS Mullard and a very old used one, the later sound so much better and I think this is what the cryo treatment does, gives them a 'mature' sound.

You can use the Brimar 13D5's as a drop in replacement in the Foreplay, there are those that think they're the best, other seem to prefer RCA clear tops (side getter) not heard them myself, so can't comment. I will say however, that there can be problems with the 13D5 sounding noisy.

As for the 12BH7, there seems to be a real consistency with this 'type' of tube in that all I've tried have pushed out more detail and a wider soundstage than any 12AU7 type in the centre slot - don't like it in the pre' slot though. These are not a drop in replacement for the 12AU7 and although the Minimax can meet the extra current draw, the Foreplay will need an internal resistor change to use them.

I don't know what Bill does with the US modded ones, then again I've never really asked him - which model have you got the three or four input?

I'm interested in a Foreplay, but unfortunately would want it to match the other units, which was why I didn't go for yours the last time it was for sale, but I'll keep it in mind for later, after the Paramours are done. Do you have the original base, as I know you had a better one made?

PM me your address and I'll post you a 12BH7 to try in that middle slot.

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom