1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education needed

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by paulus, Nov 9, 2002.

1. paulus

paulus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've had my head stuck in the sand for the past ten years with respect to AV matters and I now need some advice on what I need to buy.

I got my nice 32" Sony (basic nicam sound) last week and I now need to buy a DVD player. My hi-fi system is also in need of replacement so I was hoping to combine the two.

I've been looking at home cinema units such as the Sony DAVS550. I assume this sort of kit is good for DVD's but how good is it for playing music CD's? How does the sound compare to traditional hi-fi units in the £300-400 price range?

Would it be better to buy seperates and if so, what would I need? So many questions......thanks in advance.

P.S. I have been reading about the DAVS550 problems but I'm in no particular rush and can wait until they have got the problems fixed.

2. ricdiggle

ricdiggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry clicked on this thread due to the title.
    Thought I might be able to help being as I'm a teacher.

Anyway,
    Buy separates.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paulus,

Beware that DAVs do not output RGB.

I agree with Ric that separates always tend to sound better, but mainly only to audiophiles. So it depends how "trained" your ears are ;) What do you mean by hi fi units in the price range you mention? Do you mean an entire set up? Or just a CD player?

4. ricdiggle

ricdiggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seriously though,
    What you should buy very much depends on your budget.
    How much are you thinking of spending?

Richard.

5. paulus

paulus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for your replies.

In answer to your questions, I'm not an audiophile but I want a "reasonable" sound. If I was buying a new hi-fi I would probably be spending around £400 on a Technics or Sony Mini-system.

My budget for a DVD based system is around £500 which is why I mentioned the Sony DAVS550.

As I see it, the advantage of seperates is that I can buy a DVD player now and run it through the TV speakers until I buy the rest of the kit. What else do I need? Is it just a receiver/amplifier and some speakers?

Looking around some of the sites, the receiver/amps seem reasonably priced but the speaker kits seem quite expensive. What sort of setup would everyone recommend with a budget of £500.

Thanks again for your help.

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's how much I tend to spend on hi-fi equipment so I know exactly what you mean. In this case, I should think you'd be more than satisfied with the quality of output from a DVD player, amp & speakers when used for CDs (assuming RMS output for speakers and subwoofer are similar).

Seperates give you a nice upgrade route as you say, but they also enable you to mix 'n' match to get the best price-performance ratio for each element.

Yup.

I'll leave it to someone else to recommend kit ;)

7. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +376
    There are a few all-in-one system reviews in one of the mags this month ... might be What hi-fi or Home Entertainment ... good a starting point as any ...

rgds

Jon

8. rmsdev

rmsdev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any body has a pioneer HI 51s

It is made up of a pioneer 454 and receiver ...100s

it ouputs RGB and has PLII

selling for 450

anybody can comment on its perfomance...

9. paulus

paulus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks again for all your advice. I went out this afternoon and bought a couple of mags which had reviews on the Sony DAVS550. They reckon its OK but with a few drawbacks.

I may go down the seperates route. I understand from reading comments here and elsewhere that the Tosh 220 DVD player is a good bit of kit so I might start with that and get a receiver/amp and speakers later.

Cheers.

10. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if it would push you over budget but I bought some Mission AV2's from www.superfi.co.uk for £400 and I love em. Had to be one of the esiest speaker systems I've put in. They look great and sound great. :D

11. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For amp and speakers - I'm very happy with my Marantz SR42000 AV Reciever (Richer sounds £200) with which I'm driving a pair of Eltax Liberty 5 speakers (Richer sounds £110).

Both get 5 stars out of 5 in the reviews and sound great.

This also gives you an RDS tuner and you can drive 5.1 channel dolby sound if you add the speakers. (I spent a total of £70 on an eltax centre and rear speakers). The marrantz controller is great too as it can control up to 9 other devices.

I also spent at £20 on a scart cable, A tenner on a cable to connect the DVD to the amp and about £1 a meter for speaker cable.

That leaves about £150 for a DVD player - look for one that's also good for CD's and plays MP3's.

If you upped your budget to replace your VCR too, you could also get a Phillips DVDR880 for around £370 (also 5 star review). This is a great DVD player, is very good quality sound for CD's, also plays mp3's and of course is a fantastic video recorder.

As I've also got an MD deck, I hope never to have to use any kind of tape again... (shiver).

So that's my system - and I recommend it to anyone.

Cheers.

12. paulus

paulus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Funnily enough, I was looking at the Marantz SR4200 last night. I picked it out initially on price (because I don't know anything about amps) but then read some favourable comments about it while searching though old posts here. Your comments back these up.

I'm still not sure about speakers. I set my original budget at £450, which was the cost of the Sony DAVS550 I was planning to buy. I'm definately going to get the Tosh 220e @ £135 and the SR4200 will cost £200 taking the total to £335. That doesn't leave much for speakers.

I may buy the SR4200 and run my cheapo hifi speakers until I can afford a good set.

Cheers,

13. sconepanman

sconepanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or for cabling. Don't forget to include the cost of decent connectors (scart £15-30, audio £8-15 / lead). These add up very quickly.