Editting DVD RAM

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Northerner, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Northerner

Northerner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I posted the above over on Digital Digest but got no response.

Can anyone here help please?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    This is happening because it's a VRO file which has a number of differences to an MPEG - hence a problem recognising it. You have two options.

1) Use the original DVD-RAM recording (copy and rename the .VRO file back if necessary) and import it straight into TMPG Enc Author. Do this by selecting "Create New Project", "Add DVD-Video" and select the DVD_RTAV folder in which all the files are contained. TMPG Author will then import it like a DVD-Video and away you go.

2) Download TMPG Encoder (not Author) and goto Files/MPEG Tools and run a simple demux on the .VRO file you have named MPEG. This will then be split into .m2v and .ac3 streams and you'll get your audio!

The former route is the easiest way - only use the second route if you have problems with the first, need to run logo removal utlilities etc or need a more powerful authoring programme.

I'm surprised onbody on the Digital Digest forums could help with this :confused: Which forum did you post on - the "DVD Authoring" one is best for such topics.

3. Northerner

Northerner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's the one I posted to!! But, once again, you've come up with a solution - thanks

I'll try it later this evening

Watch this space

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Setarip must be on holiday or something - otherwise he would have answered. The man is as near to a walking bible on the subject of video editting as you can get.

5. Northerner

Northerner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope! Been fighting with this all night. Did EXACTLY as you said above but, still no sound:confused:

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Ok first things first:

- Have you got the latest version of TMPG Enc Author (it was updated a few days ago)? It is absoltely crucial you check this.

- Have you got the latest version of Direct X/Soundcard drivers?

- (Don't take this the wrong way!) Is your volume turned up?

With those things checked can I just point out that you don't 'hear' sound in TMPG Enc Author. It is there but not until you 'Output' it into DVD-Video will you hear it - even if you Play the clip in one of the windows.

Ok now all those points have been considered import a test clip from a DVD-RAM disk EXACTLY in accordance with these instructions so we can find out where it's going wrong:

1) Load TMPG Enc Author. You should get this screen:
    http://www.btinternet.com/~james_lancaster/1.jpg

2) Click on "Create New Project":
    http://www.btinternet.com/~james_lancaster/2.jpg

3) You should now be in 'source setup' so click on "Add DVD Video". A window allowing you to browse your files will come up - select the folder "DVD_RTAV" on your RAM disk:
    http://www.btinternet.com/~james_lancaster/3.jpg
    The format of the disk must be exactly as the E50 (etc) recorded it - i.e. the VRO file must be with the extension VRO and not MPG (if you've copied the VRO file back to the RAM disk note that if you've merely renamed the file back to .VRO Windows XP will still be calling it VR_MOVIE.VRO.MPG even if it doesn't show the MPG extension)

4) The Add DVD Video wizard will start - it will look at all the programmes on the DVD-RAM disk and list them all. Select the one you want and click 'next':
    http://www.btinternet.com/~james_lancaster/4.jpg

5) Ensure the checkbox marked "Copy clip video data to the HDD" is checked. Select your destination folder and click 'OK':
    http://www.btinternet.com/~james_lancaster/5.jpg

6) Ok it should have imported video and audio like shown:
    http://www.btinternet.com/~james_lancaster/6.jpg
    Click on "Chapter Cut Edit" at the top

7) You'll get this screen:
    http://www.btinternet.com/~james_lancaster/7.jpg
    Here you can make your edits. Note even if you press that play button you will NOT hear sound. But it will be there once you author!

8) Once you done editting click 'Ok' and the then 'Create Menu'.

9) Once you've created your menu click 'Output'. Ensure "Create DVD Folder" is checked and then click "Begin Ouput". This will create the DVD-Video structure in the specified folder.

10) If you play it from the HDD in a programme like WinDVD it will play like a DVD (hopefully with sound). Once happy burn to DVD-R.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Also it will help if you can posts your settings in Functions/Setup/Sound on your DVD Recorder as well.

Do you have a VRO compatible DVD-Video player on your PC (like WinDVD 4)? If so does the recording play properly direct from the DVD-RAM disk? You can download a free trial of WinDVD 4 at:
    http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/Home.jsp

Anyway can you run through everything I've suggest and point out ANY discrepancies with the way your system displays it. Then we should be able to nail this on the head.

8. Northerner

Northerner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Rasczak, quite a lot here to check and verify so I'll get back once I've done everything you suggest.

9. Northerner

Northerner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops! Have i been trying to do the impossible? I assumed that because there was a little sound icon in the TMPG Author Clip Edit screen (and the Help file also makes refernce to sound), that i would be able to edit with sound on.

Your statement above implies that this is not possible and that the audio will only be available after burning a DVD-R.

Sorry for being a bit thick :suicide:

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Yes that's correct - you can't hear sound inside TMPG Author itself. I'm prepared to be proven wrong on this but I have never heard sound (the audio icon is, like you say, always greyed out) - I've always assumed that was only for multiplexed MPEG tracks as opposed to extracted .m2v/.ac3 files.

As I stated you don't have to burn a DVD-R to check it works - output it as normal from TMPG Enc Author (so you have the DVD-Video files inside a Video_TS folder on your HDD) and play it in a programme like WinDVD (whereby you right click and select Source/Play DVD from Folder...). This way you can check it works before you waste a DVD-R.

I know editting without sound is not much fun - so why not edit on your E50?

Don't worry - I only spent 30 minutes typing that post :mad: I'm joking of course - only to happy to help - if it still doesn't work post back :D

11. Northerner

Northerner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - it's now showing in DVD_RTAV folder as am mpeg file - how do I change it back to pure .vro?

12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Are you using Windows XP? If so goto Tools/Folder Options click the 'View' tab and look down the list for an option marked "Hide Extensions For Known File Types". UNCHECK it. You can now rename the file with a .VRO extension without it becoming "VR_MOVIE.vro.mpg" - it will just become "VR_MOVIE.vro". You'll get a warning about the file may become unusable - ignore it.

On the point about Sound - a check in the Help file of TMPG Enc Author found this quote:
    As, by default, you'd be recording in .ac3 (Dolby Digital) that explains why you can't hear sound. If it really bothers you then you can change the recording option in the E50's menu found at Functions/Setup/Sound. I would edit on the E50 though and just live with no sound. But it's up to you.

13. Northerner

Northerner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, done all that and, would you believe, it works!! Going to carry on with this edit on the PC and the others I will edit on the E50, which never occured to me:blush:

I'm now going off to a cave to hide until my reputation is restored:smoke: But as Arnie would say "I'll be back"

Thanks again

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    :clap:

If I may suggest the obvious - it is probably best to record a few short test recordings (things you don't want to keep) and experiment editting on the PC and on the E50. Find the solution that works best for you before you practise with any important stuff. It's also worth outputting a few of these tests to the HDD so you can get used to the various menu settings before burning anything to DVD-R.

Anyway glad it's working!

15. Northerner

Northerner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Success! Just editted and burned my first DVD RAM to DVD-R

Thanks to Rasczak - that guy is the dogs dangly bits:smashin: